Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

FI Intake System Screens? (Turbine failure protection)

Old 04-25-2018, 11:51 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default FI Intake System Screens? (Turbine failure protection)

I recently had a turbo failure, which has brought me down the preventative and supporting modification path once again for a second round of money spent now to avoid spending more later.

This time it was just a bearing failure, but that could easily lead to a turbine contacting the housing; sending metal chunks right into my engine as a result.

I was wondering if anyone has ran into some screens to put in between the turbos and the engine to protect the engine during unfortunate events... Similar to the ones installed by OEM mfg's to reduce turbulence before MAF sensors.

Anyone done this or have any ideas for a nice robust solution? If not, I will share what I come up with
Old 04-25-2018, 02:34 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Depends on where the turbo is located and lots of other factors.

In most cases the turbos parts just go into the intercooler and get suck there or stop at the lowest point of the intake piping.

I’ve had friend and read of plenty of guys who grande their turbos and can still drive them. I remember seeing a story on the mustang forums of a guy who had his whole turbine sitting in his piping and said he still daily drive it out of boost.

Usually what happens is people grenade the motor and the parts from the motor get spit and demolish the turbine through the exhaust port.

It sound good in theory, but it also sounds like a bad idea in theory. If you’re worried about the tiny particles that can make it to the motor. The thickness of the mesh to stop those tiny iddy bitty pieces is definitely going to effect the flow of the air and increase back pressure to the turbo.

But if you leave the mesh too wide to avoid flow restriction those small particles you’re worried about are going to go right through it anyways. And the pieces it will stop I doubt will go farther than the intercooler due to sheer weight and bulk of the piece.

If someone has done it I’d like to see how well it works and effects the flow performance on the intake side.

But I personally think it would be more of a restriction than it’s worth. Just keep an eye on your turbo and take care of it and hope you don’t have a lemon.

Last edited by CK_32; 04-25-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:53 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Id point that focus on protecting anything from entering the system via the air filter / pre-turbo

anything that breaks off the filter will get caught pre-IC ... does FOD pass through the IC? Of course - but it’s the inherianr risk we all take.

when you’re checking your pre-turbo oil filter also check your IC for debris.

I think its also unrealistic to think that a turbo will fail/chunk under normal operating conditions ...

Last edited by bealljk; 04-26-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:12 PM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Good points fellas, good points. Will focus elsewhere for preventative mods