MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   Exactly 9 PSI on my ATI kit (finally), and it's a daily driver, it is finished! (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/61990-exactly-9-psi-on-my-ati-kit-finally-and-its-a-daily-driver-it-is-finished.html)

12SecZ 02-21-2004 01:53 AM

Exactly 9 PSI on my ATI kit (finally), and it's a daily driver, it is finished!

After a long weekend last week it was determined that the tractor belt (lol) that I ordered wasn't gonna work. It wasn't flexible or giving enough and was actually shorter, not longer.

We tried one other pulley combo and still made 10 pounds.

It was determined we needed to lose one tooth, the only way around this with the belt size being one size fits all is go with a
*38* and a *25*, this dropped the ratio one more tooth.

I turned my car into Nissan for 3 days and went about my work week and let them do it because the jack shaft pulley has a habit of sealing itself to the shaft and is extremely hard to get off (I had a 41 there.)

Future Nissan in Roseville , CA. went all out man! They first fixed my torn bumper by replacing it with a brand new one. It had torn several inches on the drivers side where the FMIC IC pipe bows it out. Then they cut/shaved the area from preventing it from happening again. Then they take my Stillen II front spoiler/lip and Stillen race grille and put it back on and sand and repaint the whole front of the car including the sides and hood! Needless to say the car looks brand new again, no rock chips, no cracked bumper, bo scuffs on my lip. Several people here have seen my torn bumper and know what I am talking about.

Charge for all the body work? ZERO! I am writing them (Bryan (Mechanic) , Tom (Manager) and Ross (Service Writer) a very nice letter of thanks.

Not just that though, there is a bolt that can rub slightly on the shim (tensioner) and that was very slightly shaved (they got this tip from Walnut Creel , CA Nissan who is going through lots of belts like I was.) So they shave my bumper, pull the compressor and bracket, swap my pulleys, add my belt, thread lock everything and then the mechanic Bryan goes for a ride with me to help me watch my gauges. In D from a dead stop to WOT it was exactly 9 PSI at 800C through first, second AND third! We were flying. We did some manual mode runs that we just nuts.
$200.00 bucks and they had my car 3 days! I couldn’t be happier with Future Nissan in Roseville right now to be able to not only have my car purring like a kitten and have the Kit complete to where it was flashed at, but a new front end paint job and bumper too?

I then drove my car all the way to the Bay Area for work and never strayed over 8-9 pounds, IT'S PERFECT!

Finally! I still want a fuel pump and they have an angle on that they are working too that flows more; it can't hurt since I have larger injectors. I am definitely going to buy one, it's being researched as I wait.

I should thank my friend EJ from here, Technosquare, Tadishi, Danny, Victor Reyes of RB Motoring, Eric of ATI , Performance Nissan, Cheston and Doug @ Crawford for either service or parts or just encouragement and sometimes all of the above. EJ and I have been battling this boost level from 6 pounds to 11 pounds and it was a combined effort to get it done but without all of the above it wouldn't have happened.

I feel very comfortable boosting now and my EGT's dropped back down again. I think 8 PSI is the sweet spot but 9 is just fine for me right now until I dyno and track and add a fuel pump, then I may go back down to 8 PSI but I doubt it, the car runs perfect.

I am off for 3 days and will find a Dyno Monday. I expect 400+ again it smokes the tires for several feet. I am up against trying to find a Saturday track event though due to my new Tues-Fri swing schedule, no more Wed or Friday nights but I know my track does some Saturdays, have to check their schedule.

So for those discouraged, doubtful or wanting FI, if you have patience and faith you will meet your goals.

Disclaimer, I lost an engine before I learned how not too, what works for me may not work for you, I just post this to show it can be done, and ways you can avoid losing an engine like I did to get there! I did it backwards but everything happens for a reason and I just felt that I should share my story as FI grows more popular, it can be done safely.

Crawford Plenum
Borla Headers
RT Cats
Borla True Dual
GReddy EGT, AutoMeter Boost gauges
Power Enterprise 380cc Injectors
ATI Tuner Kit w/ FMIC (no DFMU)
#38 on jack shaft pulley, #25 on upper driver side boost pulley.
Technosquare reflash to add fuel, even out air and retard timing
Keep it cool, check your fluids, watch your belts and guages.
Run the belt under the tensioner with this pulley combo.

I hope this helps someone else feel like going higher so we can see what these cars can do! I am well over 300 on RWTQ, I can't wait to actually do a full out dyno with this safer setup where I don't feel like my car is gonna blow on the thing. It shifts; no detonation and the gauges are all in spec. I'm sure I am shortening the life of the engine but I don't boost all the time, just half the time ;) and life is short anyway. 2005 I get another toy and will sell this one. I took 2 pics, I'll upload them tomorrow!

daytona350zr 02-21-2004 02:15 AM

How did you get your car to shift properly in full auto mode with the FI? I am planing to do FI and this is the only thing stopping me as I don't want to drive in manual mode all the time.

elektrik_juggernaut 02-21-2004 03:01 AM

thanks for including me on the project Max........like i was telling you earlier........some folks are looking in to fueling solutions to run even more boost........this 9 pound deal sounds pretty good, and i'm thinking about getting the 25 tooth from ATI so i can flash for everything all at once

myGthang 02-21-2004 05:49 AM

Originally posted by daytona350zr
How did you get your car to shift properly in full auto mode with the FI? I am planing to do FI and this is the only thing stopping me as I don't want to drive in manual mode all the time.

Good question? I've heard as long as you don't punch it you shopuld be alright, but if you do punch and leave it in drive it'll bump the rev limiter...

12SecZ 02-21-2004 10:12 AM

Raise the rev limiter and program it to add more fuel during the shifts. Right before our car shifts it slightly drops the FP. I think they key is a higher rev limiter and more fuel. My car never had the problem so I can't say other than that. Not too many Auto's running FI, I am sure mine isn't the only one working properly that has my setup.

I WOT to the FLOOR and go through gears at MAX BOOST and have had several people from Roseville, Sacramento, and Torrance, CA in the car when doing so. Another thing that seemed to help was checking and tightenting all of my boost/vaccum lines, it may be a combination of all of the above!

P.S. You're welcome EJ, you must have logged about 20 hrs total on my car alone, you deserve it. Give ATI Kido's so you can get the pulley for free ;)

350ed 02-21-2004 10:16 AM

How can you sell your car after all this?
Glad to see it all worked out, what a saga :)

12SecZ 02-21-2004 10:38 AM

Pic 1 FMIC doesn't bow out bumper anymore

1 Attachment(s)
Bought this car 11-2002, looks brand new again.

12SecZ 02-21-2004 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Close up of new pulleys and belt.
See the gold colored bolt above the tensioner pulley (shimmed?)

It can rub on the shim and has cause lots of torn or shredded serpentine belts per Nissan, they fixed this to allow more clearance on mine. The belt will be too big with this combo of pulleys unless you go under neith the tensioner, ATI says either way of routing is ok.

whosdady 02-21-2004 10:43 AM

F/I Shifting

Max is right. I think it is a combination of a lot of things. I took my car out today with the brake fuse pulled and the car shifted much better. Not perfect but enough for me to tell a difference. This mod and the TS reflash should do the trick. If it doesn't work, you can always upgrade the valve body through level 10.

Originally posted by daytona350zr

12SecZ 02-21-2004 10:45 AM

I forgot good point, I always disable TQ Management and TC when WOT too, every time. I have noticed if I don't the run doesn't go as smoothly. It is not just one thing it is multiple things as pointed out.

whosdady 02-21-2004 02:28 PM

Checking connections

Hey Max,
Can you tell me what connections you checked? Where they might be located? Maybe a pic. I thought I might see if I have anything loose or blocked. Thanks

By the way, I have someone very interested in my car. I am supposed to get a check via fed ex on Tuesday. We will see.

Originally posted by 12SecZ
checking and tightenting all of my boost/vaccum lines, it may be a combination of all of the above!

12SecZ 02-21-2004 04:00 PM

I can take a pic but it was the boost line that ran from the DFMU through the car and out to a T where you boost guage goes. This one vaccum line is full of area (some hidden) where it could leak and you may not even notice it without a gauge. Mine was -20 at default until we tightened them all then it went to -15, big difference. It also wraps around the blower and goes down towards the FMIC. Thin boost line.

Wow Fed Ex? I hope whover it is realizes what a good deal they are getting! Keep us posted. I saw a 2001 Z06 today for 34k :)

12SecZ 02-21-2004 04:06 PM

That boost line is gone from my car now hehe, just looked. No more DFMU, no more boost line, the other is near the compressor and thin. I also had a loose IC tube underneath the compressor tha twas causing me to lose boost and I we had to use brake cleaner on it to clean it then double hose clamp it. You have to take the bumper off to get to this one but if you look straight down near the compressor towards the IC hoses you can see these connections. It being lose had my boost off my 1 pound and I never would have known w/o TS noticing it.

daking350 02-21-2004 05:21 PM

I did the exact same thing as you max..I put the "25" tooth pulley on along with the stock "39" tooth pulley...I got 8.5 psi now...:D

12SecZ 02-21-2004 05:49 PM

Sweet! Your setup sounds nice. Wouldn't it be great if were closer and could run or have a Nationwide 350Z Meet? Talk about making headlines. Could you see the news THAT would make? You got lucky, my stock one was 38 and 27 and the two they sent afterwords were 41 25. That was fun playing with that. I am going to Dyno Mon or Tues depending on available dyno time.
I am now at 38 and 25.

daking350 02-21-2004 05:57 PM

Originally posted by 12SecZ
Sweet! Your setup sounds nice. Wouldn't it be great if were closer and could run or have a Nationwide 350Z Meet? Talk about making headlines. Could you see the news THAT would make? You got lucky, my stock one was 38 and 27 and the two they sent afterwords were 41 25. That was fun playing with that. I am going to Dyno Mon or Tues depending on available dyno time.
I am now at 38 and 25.

I am at 38 and 25 too..But ATI said +or- one tooth..I just realized that..That means we are running 63 teeth not 64,65,66 like they suggest....See any problems developing with this combo???

PS the ones they sent me as a 9lb were 40 and 25...Stock was 38 and 26..

elektrik_juggernaut 02-21-2004 06:01 PM

so where'd you get the 39?

daking350 02-21-2004 06:03 PM

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
so where'd you get the 39?
Typo..I meant 38...

elektrik_juggernaut 02-21-2004 06:23 PM

it seems that the tooth count they recommend is only so they don't have to have different belts.......i'm sure they use this belt on other systems too.......if you adhere to the 65 +/- 1 rule, you would never need a different sized belt........but as we've seen.......their 9 pound kit is really an 11-12, so you have to vary from the 65 tooth rule

daking350 02-21-2004 06:46 PM

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
it seems that the tooth count they recommend is only so they don't have to have different belts.......i'm sure they use this belt on other systems too.......if you adhere to the 65 +/- 1 rule, you would never need a different sized belt........but as we've seen.......their 9 pound kit is really an 11-12, so you have to vary from the 65 tooth rule
Makes sence..With the one 25 t pulley on I had to route the belt UNDER the tensioner,but when I put BOTH pulleys on I had to run it back over the tensioner..The second pulley did nothing for me as far as boost and I got the better tune and TQ with only the one pulley on there so I removed the 41 and put back the 38..So I am at 38/25 and should be making 8.5 psi or so..