Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

No one talks about stillen here are some dyno's

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:23 AM
mediq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bascelik
mediq, I was expecting more out of stage 3... it seems that this SC will need about 8-9psi to achieve 350+ whp... and, by that time, torque will arrive too soon and heat will build a LOT... Also, what other mods do you have? CAI, perhaps? How does your car sound? Care to record it accelerating (sound only) and post a link? Here's mine, I have a distinct "siren" sound that I don't like:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/~bashcelik/

I think future buyers should also know how their car will sound, besides dyno curves and A/F ratios... afterall, we love the way our cars sound, so no messin with that

Cheers

before I put the kinetix cats on, my injen had a very deep aggressive sound .
after installing the kinetix cats my exhaust is deeper and much louder.
Yes i'm using injen intake.

My friend and I will be doing another dyno in about a week or so
using adiff dyno which i will prob take off cats and dyno with stock cats. sorry I have not the equip to record sound.
people that have heard my car tell me the don't hear the supecharger whine over the exhaust I know that for sure when no one wanted to stand behind my car during dyno

LOL

hope that helps \/ peace
Attached Thumbnails No one talks about stillen here are some dyno's-p1000349.jpg  
Old 09-08-2004, 12:29 PM
bascelik

Ooohh... is that a 300 I C? Niiiicceeee....
Old 09-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Znitro

Your right Juztin, That was my car that made 366RWHP With the stage 3 stillen set up ... Their were a few other mods that made this possible exhaust,intake,aluminum flywheel,100oct race gas, and maybe a bit more boost.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:48 PM
joust75

Originally posted by Shift_Daytona Z
That kit is 6000.00 and it only produced 90hp? Man I woud be pissed. How many psi are you running. You should have gone turbo. 10 lbs of boost and they were getting like 430hp to the wheels

You are forgetting something dude...

The other superchargers on the market are centrifugal, making their HP in the upper spectrum of the powerband. Stillen is a roots type sc, bolted directly to the intake manifold. Correction, it REPLACES the intake manifold. It forces air directly into the engine instead of through a length of pipe.
This, coupled with the fact that roots type SCs spool up quicker than centrifugals mean that the Stillen may have less power but it has a much sweeter torque curve and delivers power almost off idle.
My conclusion is that the Stillen has much more usable Horsepower than any other SCs out there. Not only this but you get a nice waranty on the SC and the engine.
Seems like a no-brainer purchase to me
Old 09-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

My 0.02, Roots blowers offer a near flat power and torque curve. It offers a very usable powerband, which doesn't offer to many surprises as RPMs build. As for the power to cost ratio, it isn't that bad. The biggest problem with the roots blower is heat and flow. Heat sucks in the Z engine bay. I don't think that can be addressed as easily as flow. I haven't seen anyone that has done cams or reported the blower. Opposed to TT's or centrifugal SC's you can not crank up the boost because it spools faster and maintains the boost level over the entire curve. One has to make the most out of the boost generated. Cams will help some, but reporting the bottom plate of the blower helps tremdously. Apten ports Eaton blowers for a few hundred dollars. I did mine myself, I increased the port size 0.285" and picked up 37 HP. Don't give up on the screw because iniitial gains aren't huge. It is not always about peak horsepower but drivable horsepower.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:16 AM
Daking350z
Banned

The roots blowers do produce a different type of power.More TQ down low in the usable range where you need it...My ATI produces its peak HP @ 6250 where the Stillen may produce it 's peak like 4500 rpms...Different feel to the car, kind of like the OLD turbos that needed to spool up and you got turbo lag...Thats what my car feels like but after 3200 rpms Im gone, where as the stillen blower would feel real TQ like the old Z28 camaros with the 327/350's...As far as reliability I would have gone with a Stillen (if they werent Stillen) but I got a great deal on the ATI so I went cintrifugal..
Also, Everyone compains about the Stillen hood, but I think the hood looks BAD *** like the Cobras (which I beat consistantly..) and old Z28 SS's...Remember,PEAK HP means NOTHING...Dyono's mean NOTHING and HP is only a measured by product of TQ...Everyone should be more concearned about their TQ more than peak HP..
Old 09-10-2004, 10:20 AM
mediq

Default dyno dynopak

here is the dyno graph i promised.....
Attached Thumbnails No one talks about stillen here are some dyno's-p1000354.jpg  
Old 09-10-2004, 10:24 AM
mediq

Default latest dyno on dynojet

latest dyno on dynojet machine hope it helps someone does nothin for me....
Attached Thumbnails No one talks about stillen here are some dyno's-p1000353.jpg  
Old 09-10-2004, 10:25 AM
mediq

Default here is my latest belt

new belt less than 300 miles on it....
Attached Thumbnails No one talks about stillen here are some dyno's-p1000356.jpg  
Old 09-10-2004, 10:29 AM
G3po

Default Blower

What would be sweet is to replace the Stillen Roots unit with an AutoRotor Twin Screw which is signifcantly more efficient than even a modified Eaton design. I have a KenneBell setup on my Dogde Truck and it is a true TQ hog.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Daking350z
Banned

Default Re: here is my latest belt

Originally posted by mediq
Thats some sort of alignment issue.I had the same thing on my ATI.I needed to shim it..
Old 09-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Lightning Guy

Default Re: Blower

Originally posted by G3po
What would be sweet is to replace the Stillen Roots unit with an AutoRotor Twin Screw which is signifcantly more efficient than even a modified Eaton design. I have a KenneBell setup on my Dogde Truck and it is a true TQ hog.
I agree, but the guys at Kenne Bell do not have a setup yet. I wonder if one could take the screws out and modify the Stillen for them to fit. I don't know what the ratio is for the stillen, lets assume a typical 3:5 whereas the Autorotor is a 4:6. It takes less hp to turn, has a lower heat build up, and so much more flow. As a matter of fact this one looks like a close a fit: http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...wrangler40.htm
It might be wortha call to the guys and see what magic they can work. Their kit comes with MAF and piggy back. Since the plenum is already there, it might be a manner of bolt pattern or adapter plate.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:48 AM
bascelik

Slightly off-topic, I apologize...

I've been waiting for Kenne Bell guys to do their HEMI S/C for a loooong time now... even sent email about 300/Magnum/Charger applicaton... they replied 'not yet'... they're taking their own sweet time...
Old 09-12-2004, 01:33 PM
axxizzer

...Can I cut slots in my hood to help bleed off heat?
Old 09-12-2004, 03:35 PM
jwkirkland

Default Re: here is my latest belt

Originally posted by mediq
New Belt???

How many have you had to replace?

My belt looked the same after 2000 miles, I called Stillen and they sent me a new belt at no charge.

Popped it on in about 2 minutes. Stillen asked me to send the worn belt so they could look at it....mine looked just like yours with huge chunks out of it.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:05 PM
2003z

My belt looks like new after about 5000 miles.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Lightning Guy

What kind of belts are you folks running. Just a quick survey. If some folks are getting 300 miles and some are getting 5000 miles of off a belt, are you running the same belt or are there different belts. I know my belt is different than yours but I'm running a GoodYear NasCar Gatorback. I've had no issues until about 7000 miles. My belt started fraying. No big deal just a sign of hard lovin.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:21 AM
2003z

gates micro-v
Old 09-13-2004, 08:26 AM
bascelik

I'm going through them like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches .

Stillen is working on my problem though (my belts is whistling, whining, you name it), so they send me new belt with every little part they are trying to replace. So, whatever belt comes from them...

Cheers.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:13 AM
G3po

Default Re: Re: Blower

Originally posted by Lightning Guy
I agree, but the guys at Kenne Bell do not have a setup yet. I wonder if one could take the screws out and modify the Stillen for them to fit. I don't know what the ratio is for the stillen, lets assume a typical 3:5 whereas the Autorotor is a 4:6. It takes less hp to turn, has a lower heat build up, and so much more flow. As a matter of fact this one looks like a close a fit: http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...wrangler40.htm
It might be wortha call to the guys and see what magic they can work. Their kit comes with MAF and piggy back. Since the plenum is already there, it might be a manner of bolt pattern or adapter plate.
Yeh I tried several times to convince KB to offer a 350z/G35 kit, but other than Miatas, they are pretty fixated upon domestic iron.
As with most KB kits ,it requires significant NRE to produce new castings for the TB and Manifold.

Quick Reply: No one talks about stillen here are some dyno's