Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How safe is the Greddy TT????

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 07:40 PM
nexstage350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How safe is the Greddy TT????

I am highly considering the greddy TT as my next purchase on my Z. I am just really conserned on the safety aspects of the greddy TT? I am just worried that the Greddy TT could blow the motor. I heard that even others that they have blown thier motors at stock boost. They all gave me vague details, but if there is anyone out there that can give me some advise i would really appreciate it. thanks!
Old 11-01-2004, 05:28 AM
ttsupra94

I think the most important assurance for any TT install is to have it installed and tuned right by a good shop. After that, I would assume the safety depends on how you drive it, how often and what boost you run at. I would love to have a TT too, but this is my only car really and a daily driver. I dont know how many people on here have a daily driver TT. I guess there is just some risk with performance that you just have to take if you really want to go faster.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:22 AM
nexstage350

Originally posted by ttsupra94
I think the most important assurance for any TT install is to have it installed and tuned right by a good shop. After that, I would assume the safety depends on how you drive it, how often and what boost you run at. I would love to have a TT too, but this is my only car really and a daily driver. I dont know how many people on here have a daily driver TT. I guess there is just some risk with performance that you just have to take if you really want to go faster.
pretty much i want to run at stock boost. i heard 2 different sides of greddy, i hear that greddy is one of the safest tt around, and then i hear people have their engine blow on running on stock boost. basically i am just figuring out my options. i am also considering supercharging. im not too sure about how safe that is either? have you heard anyone blowing der motor with the greddy tt? hey thanks for your response.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:54 AM
ZRAYGO

Just to let you know, I was running mine at stock boost and for one reason or another, the boost spiked at 10psi and I was running at about 400+ hp. I ended up blowing all six of my piston rings and bending teh number six rod. I sonce have had my engine resleeved and new 8.5:1 pistons and crower rods and also jwt cams installed. My reccomendation is to have your engine built up so that if you run into the same situation that I did, your engine internals are strong enough to the point that it will be literaly bomb proof. Now just to let you know there are people on this board that are running high boost levels that have not had any problems.......
Old 11-01-2004, 11:09 AM
shaun_walsh

I have been running the TT kit for about a year now with no problems. I have a very long commute and do a bunch of AutoX and drive about 36K/year. So far, I have not have any problems and run the kit at stock boost with 352 RWHP. I can tell you though, if I had it to do all over again, I would stick with the NA mods (intake, exhaust, plenum, cats, cams, ECU flash) and suspension kits. The extra power is nice, but the cost is high for the risk and most of the time the extra power is not useable in a daily driven car.

Shaun
Old 11-01-2004, 12:42 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

moved
Old 11-01-2004, 02:22 PM
shaun_walsh

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
moved
moved...moved to where?
Old 11-01-2004, 03:19 PM
7 eleven

8 months here. Stock boost with test pipes and dual exhaust. Installed it myself no problems at all. The install plays a large part in any forced induction kit.
Gary
Old 11-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by shaun_walsh
I have been running the TT kit for about a year now with no problems. I have a very long commute and do a bunch of AutoX and drive about 36K/year. So far, I have not have any problems and run the kit at stock boost with 352 RWHP. I can tell you though, if I had it to do all over again, I would stick with the NA mods (intake, exhaust, plenum, cats, cams, ECU flash) and suspension kits. The extra power is nice, but the cost is high for the risk and most of the time the extra power is not useable in a daily driven car.

Shaun
I have to agree and disagree. There is a risk for sure. Personally, there is no way I would FI my Z if it were a daily driver. The extra power is useable, however, in the sense that while you may not tap into all the power all the time, you can still get much more power than any amount of NA mods would ever get you. At 3/4 throttle and 4psi boost, I am still getting more from my HKS SC than ALL the N/A mods.

Also, to get any real power from an N/A car (and by "real", I mean over 30hp), you'll be spending just as much as the 100+hp from an FI kit.

Finally, to get power from your N/A vehicle, it is going to be LOUD AS HELL. Guaranteed too loud for daily driving whether people will admit it or not.

Greddy is not a well engineered application however, and altough you can get by, there is much better stuff out there. The Greddy kit was basically a bunch of shelf components slapped together rather than a custom system designed for this vehicle. The best thing about the Greddy are the turbos which are great if you want to build a 600hp beast, but they are not the right choice for how they are applied in this kit. Greddy did what they needed to do to be the first kit out, but there are much better choices now.

Last edited by Speedracer; 11-01-2004 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:46 PM
nexstage350

Originally posted by Speedracer
I have to agree and disagree. There is a risk for sure. Personally, there is no way I would FI my Z if it were a daily driver. The extra power is useable, however, in the sense that while you may not tap into all the power all the time, you can still get much more power than any amount of NA mods would ever get you. At 3/4 throttle and 4psi boost, I am still getting more from my HKS SC than ALL the N/A mods.

Also, to get any real power from an N/A car (and by "real", I mean over 30hp), you'll be spending just as much as the 100+hp from an FI kit.

Finally, to get power from your N/A vehicle, it is going to be LOUD AS HELL. Guaranteed too loud for daily driving whether people will admit it or not.

Greddy is not a well engineered application however, and altough you can get by, there is much better stuff out there. The Greddy kit was basically a bunch of shelf components slapped together rather than a custom system designed for this vehicle. The best thing about the Greddy are the turbos which are great if you want to build a 600hp beast, but they are not the right choice for how they are applied in this kit. Greddy did what they needed to do to be the first kit out, but there are much better choices now.

i appreciate your input... so are you running hks sc?? if so how do you like it so far? thanks again
Old 11-02-2004, 07:24 AM
redline tt

i disagree greddy did the research needed toi come up w/ a kit that would work..greddy ,hks are two of the top dogs in japan so i would think they know what there doing.i have the greddy tt kit and the only prob i had was the vac line was installe dwrong...called greddy they went to there shop car and went over everything w/me...other then that no probs and i run anywhere from 4.5 5 psi daily no issuse
Old 11-02-2004, 11:40 AM
5thgenluder

Let me lay it out for you I will tell you what some others have and others wont. I have had the greddy kit for about 3 months no problems. It is a good kit. Is there a risk? Absolutely my car is a daily driver and gets a fair share of miles, it seems to me you are in the same situation. Is the car safe and reliable as factory? No way. would it be with the hks, vortech, stillen, ati never. If you are worried about safety and reliability then FI is not for you cause youll be scared to drive your car and never be happy. My advice sell the z buy an evo or sti or vette. If you want the thrill and excitement of tuning a car. Buy a turbo kit.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:17 PM
shaun_walsh

Very well said...if you are not ready to rebuild/replace the engine, then skip the FI.

shaun
Old 11-02-2004, 05:41 PM
2003z

biggest 'safety issue' with the greddy is loss of front bumper. You will probably die in a head-on, like the 2 guys in the G sedan with a greddy.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:46 PM
7 eleven

Originally posted by 2003z
biggest 'safety issue' with the greddy is loss of front bumper. You will probably die in a head-on, like the 2 guys in the G sedan with a greddy.
There was only one G35 sedan with a Greddy Twin Turbo kit that was crashed. The man the passed away in that accident was Frank Steeves.

The point of impact was at the front edge of the driver side door , not a head on collison. The front bumber of the car was not touched.

Here is a link to the thread from G35Driver.Com
http://g35driver.com/forums/showflat...=5&part=1&vc=1

This was a real person with a family not some urban myth
Gary
Old 11-02-2004, 06:52 PM
2003z

I know it was a real person, and perhaps I forgot the exact details, but the lack of a front bumper is something people need to be aware of when choosing this kit, and decide what degree of personal safety they wish to give up. I still think if you have a decent head on, you will die. The engine will be pushed right back through the firewall.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:01 PM
n10zt

Originally posted by shaun_walsh
Very well said...if you are not ready to rebuild/replace the engine, then skip the FI.

shaun
This is why I intend to get at least a $3K beater before going FI. The fact that boost spikes happen even with factory settings suggest that you just have to be prepared for a rebuild or a replacement.

Personally, there is no point of going the FI route if reliability is the utmost concern. The best thing to do is lurk around here in the FI forum a few minutes daily and educate yourself on what works, how other folks blew their engine, and who are the reputable local shops. These, will lead you to a better choice that will suit your needs and provide a bit of peace of mind in knowing that you have done your part. Besides the more you know about what you just put under the hood the greater the appreciation.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:37 AM
nexstage350

Originally posted by n10zt
This is why I intend to get at least a $3K beater before going FI. The fact that boost spikes happen even with factory settings suggest that you just have to be prepared for a rebuild or a replacement.

Personally, there is no point of going the FI route if reliability is the utmost concern. The best thing to do is lurk around here in the FI forum a few minutes daily and educate yourself on what works, how other folks blew their engine, and who are the reputable local shops. These, will lead you to a better choice that will suit your needs and provide a bit of peace of mind in knowing that you have done your part. Besides the more you know about what you just put under the hood the greater the appreciation.
thanks for your response. yeah i have searching through the FI fourms on a daily basis. so far what i have read and heared it's been about 50/50. i talked to so some really respectable local shops here and they said they haven't had any come backs or any problems with the kit as long as you keep it at stock boost. the only time they had any come backs is because they up the boost and blew it. then they end up rebuilding the motor. i have a second vehicle as a daily driver, but i also drive my z on a daily basis also, but for short and local trips. one quick question, what is your take on supercharging? safer than turbo or the same? hey thanks again for your response

nexstage350
Old 11-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 2003z
I still think if you have a decent head on, you will die. The engine will be pushed right back through the firewall.
Please stop with the scare tactics. Seriously...do you understand how a car and unibody construction works? Even without that bar, the engine WILL NEVER go through the firewall.

With unibody construction, and the way our car is setup, a serious frontal collision will cause the frontal frame area to buckle downward, and the engine drops to the ground. It does NOT go straight back to the firewall.

I agree the Greddy kit is not ideal, and I certainly would prefer to have the brace. The brace can prevent a minor fender bender from causing serious damage to the car/engine. But the engine isnt going to come flying into your lap.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:59 PM
wick3d350Z

he could get a super charger...less maintaince and worry...but always F\I you have to watch your engine

Quick Reply: How safe is the Greddy TT????