Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Spark Plugs don't match A/F readings.

Old 11-16-2004, 07:25 AM
zbicklin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs don't match A/F readings.

So I pulled a couple plugs last night just to see how they looked. I assumed they would be a bit tan with some carbon depsits on them, but they were perfectly white! This doesn't seem to make sense because I am getting down to the low 10:1's over 4-5 psi boost. Here are the datails:

- Plugs: are iridium NGk's one step colder than stock. I installed them a week before I installed the Vortech.
- Miles: I have about 300 miles on the Vortech including about 20 dyno pulls
- A/F Readings: My idle and partial throttle cruise are right at high 14's low 15's. On boost I'm into the low 10's
The only thing that I found odd with the A/F readings is that when getting up in rpms and then getting completely off the throttle my A/F goes straight to 21:1. If I blip the throttle it reads normally.

So as far as I can tell everything is normal, but I am confused as to why my plugs are bleach white! Any suggestions?? I'll check the plugs again in a week or so.

Steve
Old 11-16-2004, 08:46 AM
westpak
SFZCC

No comment on the lugs as I have not seen mine yet, but just to give you comfort my AF readings behave similar when iff the throttle and going to 20
Old 11-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason your plugs are white is becuase they are brand new. 300 miles is nothing. Even if you are running rich and stuff...they are going to look perfect after only 300miles. Try looking at them after 3000miles.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:41 PM
zbicklin

Originally posted by gq_626
The reason your plugs are white is becuase they are brand new. 300 miles is nothing. Even if you are running rich and stuff...they are going to look perfect after only 300miles. Try looking at them after 3000miles.
Thanks for your imput... I guess I've never really checked plugs with only 300-400 miles on them before. Usually after several thousand. I have read some articles describing how to read plugs after dyno pulls but now that I think of it, the purpose was probably for checking for detonation signs. Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

No Prob!
Old 11-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that is not true at all. You can read a spark plug after very little driving.....typically just a few miles

your car has a serious tuning issue - read here:

http://www.densoiridium.com/howtoreadusedplugs.php
Old 11-17-2004, 03:36 AM
zbicklin

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
that is not true at all. You can read a spark plug after very little driving.....typically just a few miles

your car has a serious tuning issue - read here:

http://www.densoiridium.com/howtoreadusedplugs.php
Z1,

Thanks for your input as well. I've read that denso article more than a few times in the past as well as others. That is what prompted me to think something was up. However, judging from the A/F readings from my wideband O2, the dyno sheets and R4 fuel and timing settings, I don't beleive I have a serious tuning issue. My car pulls very strongly to redline with no pings or hesitations.
The plugs actually look in between the 'normal' plugs and the "overheated" plugs. There are black carbon deposits around the top of the threaded area as well as the ground electrode, but the ceramic insulator is perfectly white. I have a magnifying glass to check for metal deposits on the plugs and saw nothing abnormal.
I actually found a picture on the internet that shows EXACTLY what my plugs look like! I'll try to attach it to another post. here is the website.
http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/sparkplugreading.html

My plugs look exactly like the second picture which the article says is ideal. I probably could have avoided this whole thread by doing the search in the first place, but hopefully others hav learned as well as me.

Steve

Last edited by zbicklin; 11-17-2004 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gotcha - so you really meant more tannish than white then? if so, you are good to go - the daker color on the base ring is, as the artcile suggests a good way to tell as well - means you are running on the richer side but under boost, the plug is heating up sufficiently to clean the tip (hence the tan tip).

Just keep your eye on things (get a good wideband and datalogger if you can), and periodically check things out just as you did to ensure everything is running in an acceptable range

Adam
Old 11-18-2004, 03:53 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is only one way I would bother reading a plug, especially in a car that is a pain to get the plugs in and out of... and thats after doing only 1 or 2 dyno passes.

After that, its just too difficult because the regular driving in closed loop will water down your visuals.

after only 1 sometimes 2 pulls on the dyno or down the track we can tell if the car is running too rich, too lean, if its pinging/knocking, etc.

However, since we have widebands in use at all times, the only thing i ever really look at a plug for is to see if there are any aluminum particles on it.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

my bad...sorry....
Learning more everyday. Glad your engine seems ok.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:30 PM
redline tt

good thread guys...good info for all of us
Old 11-19-2004, 04:04 AM
zbicklin

Actually I should have been more accurate with my description. I was referring to the ceramic insulator when I said it was bone white. I do have a wide band O2 installed and everything looks good according to its readings. I still can't shake the old school habit of pulling plugs and reading them though. Can't hurt...

Thanks for all the feedback!

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
gotcha - so you really meant more tannish than white then? if so, you are good to go - the daker color on the base ring is, as the artcile suggests a good way to tell as well - means you are running on the richer side but under boost, the plug is heating up sufficiently to clean the tip (hence the tan tip).

Just keep your eye on things (get a good wideband and datalogger if you can), and periodically check things out just as you did to ensure everything is running in an acceptable range

Adam