Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

2004 G35...JWT Clutch/Flywheel....gritty feel and sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:50 AM
dmelo818

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 G35...JWT Clutch/Flywheel....gritty feel and sound?

Hello Everyone

First I want to thank you for taking the time on reading this post ;0)

Last March I had my clutch and flywheel installed at a recommended tech out her in Pittsburgh after the first shop could not do the job for over two months. Literally the first shop could not align the flywheel correctly so the car would not crank up. After the second shop got their hands on it within a few hours they called me and said my car was ready for pickup

Anyhow, here is the issue gentleman. Ever since I got my car back the clutch when pushed in feels really gritty and I can hear it. I mean its loud enough that you can hear it over the radio. It feels worse especially at a full stop then go in 1st gear. A buddy of mine told me that it is due to the teeth on the flywheel needing to break in, etc. I understand so I gave the flywheel/clutch about 2000 miles to break in which I did perfectly. Still the same issue at that point. So i contact the mechanic shop that worked on my car and he said " There is no way to eliminate that sound and feel with aftermarket clutch and flywheel" on our cars. I don't understand, when I ordered the clutch/flywheel package the good people over at import parts pro threw in extras plus the stainless clutch line. The stainless clutch line is stated on their site to remove that mushy feeling the stock one gives. I never experienced a mushy feel on the stock setup or any sound like this at all.

I am about 6,000 miles on the JWT flywheel/clutch setup. I don't drive much and the car has been driven very nicely and easy. I don't have those nice canyons anymore like I used to have when I lived in California a few years ago.

So my question is....does this sound normal? Do you guys have this experience as well with your G35's .....350zs...?

Thank you and take care

Last edited by dmelo818; 10-03-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:54 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I have the JWT kit with OEM lines (actually working on my 2nd JWT clutch - by no ones fault by my own) and what you are describing is not normal. I would get a few opinions from another/different transmission shops.

I would do this sooner rather than later…
Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 PM
dmelo818

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick update from my mechanic buddy back in Cali

Thanks Bealljk for the response ;0)

Here is a quick update response I got from my good mechanic friend back in California:
Being sluggish and sounds might not correspond to each other, meaning it might be 2 different issues.

Sluggish is contributed to the crank angle sensor which is right above the flywheel. This might need to get checked out as the clutch material might have found some it on the sensor, Its magnetic so itll pick up on the metallic material.

Point 2: The sound might be your ring gear as it might getting worn down from misalignment of the starter. When its misaligned, the starter is engaging the teeth evenly thus wearing out the gear on the starter and the flywheel. Its like a small sprocket spinning a larger sprocket.

Troubleshooting 1:
See if the noise is dependent on the clutch pedal being pressed in?
What about if you let the clutch out slowly ? At what point does the noise come into play?

Is the noise gear dependent? Is it speed dependent? Meaning does it have to be in gear for the noise to happen? Does your car have to be moving? Maybe the noise comes whens its on throttle?

I would check to see if there is enough fluid in your tranny, thats what happen to my Hachi....

Here is my response to Him:
The clutch engages well. Sorry for saying sluggish. I was referring to the mushy/sluggish feel like metal rubbing on metal when pressing in the clutch and releasing. It feels that way or like a spring that is about to snap when pressing the clutch in and releasing it. Its loud and has been getting progressively worse with time since the JWT clutch/flywheel install. That's the best way I can explain it. It is at its worst when the car is at a full stop and I put it in first slowly releasing the clutch to get the car rolling. Its loud and its a gritty feel on the foot as explained above. The stock OEM clutch and flywheel was very smooth and never did I have this issue. This odd issue has been there from day one of this setup but now I am getting worried as it is getting worse with time.

When I explained the issue to the shop shortly after I got the car back I was told this is normal for a after market clutch flywheel. That there is no way to get rid of the sound/feel but I don't think they knew how bad it was. I know the car has a slight rattle in low rpms and can be heard more easily in idle but that is due to the light flywheel. Its like a light diesel engine chatter but this is completely different. Everyone knows this and I knew what to expect as I did extensive research on multiple forums for G35/350z's.

As the break in period went on and now into 5k miles it has only got worse. Its a good thing i do not drive much at all. Not to mention it but the car is starting like **** now. Ironic how I was asking you a few weeks ago about the weird cold start ups I have been getting lately? Sounds like you mentioned that in your last statement.

What really pisses me off is that the first shop had my car for almost three months dropping the tranny and installing everything 3x before they called it quits....then I had it towed and installed at the other shop in a day but look whats been happening. The clutch/flywheel has felt off somehow since the install. I am about to drive it up to them tomorrow. Its like 1hr away though. At the same time I will have them install my serpentine and ac belt as I just got my new ones in the mail. They need to be replace
d.

Last edited by dmelo818; 10-03-2013 at 09:03 PM.