Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

$95 resonated test pipes?....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 07:15 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jmaldonado
I got mine in this weekend...still sounds like a z just a little louder....smell is kind of strong...feels and sounds good..no check engine light either
There is a strong fuel smell for the first couple of weeks, all the extra fuel the cats were catching until the ECU gets used to the 02 readings I guess, then it will go away and just have a slightly stronger exhaust smell, not bad.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:08 AM
enhanced250

norcalsti does your gruppe s y pipe fit your stock exhaust? without any probelms?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:29 PM
copba1t

I had no rasp with aftermarket y-pipe and stock exhaust, definitley more growl but controllable when you want (i.e. more noise with more throttle).

As with almost ALL aftermarket y-pipes you are going to have a mismatch in pipe diameter with the stock exhaust (3" y-pipe mates to 2.5" b-pipe). Although the flanges fit just fine, there will be turbulence because of the reduction in pipe size at the flange, which I believe translates into a power loss.

Here is the solution I am going with:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41690
Old 02-22-2005, 04:11 PM
enhanced250

yeah mine will only be temporary tho like 2 montrh then im getting fuji will i ahve any leaks or antying of that sort?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 PM
copba1t

Originally posted by enhanced250
yeah mine will only be temporary tho like 2 montrh then im getting fuji will i ahve any leaks or antying of that sort?
Check the specs on the Fuji, if it has a 3" inlet then it will match a 3" y-pipe perfectly.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:18 AM
rocketrider

Originally posted by LocatedZ
If anyone else ordered from streetcustoms-usa, and is nervous about the lack of communication, I just got mine from UPS(2/14). I won the auction on Feb. 3rd. If anyone else is going to buy them, go with built4race as mentioned before, I wish I would have saw this post earlier! Or I could have read their feedback.
I bought mine from Steetcusoms-usa, although I was nervous about his feedback. I won the auction and paid on Feb. 9th. Repeated attempts to contact the seller were unsuccessful. However, they arrived on Feb. 22nd. The auction said to allow 24-48 hours to ship out and 5-7 days for shipping. He didn't ship the items until Feb. 15th so he was a little late. He should have sent me a tracking number like I requested several times but he didn't. I will install these pipes tomorrow and report next week.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:22 AM
rocketrider

Originally posted by atadlo
well i just got my confirmation emailed to me- 8 days after purchase, but ups doesnt have a status yet on the tracking number (probably too soon). hopefully they will be here within a week i would assume. anyone else thinking about purchasing them, look into the ebay seller or megan racing direct, as this street-customs route seems to be pretty shady.
I got mine from streetcustoms as well, but the shipping label said that they were shipped directly to me from Megan Racing. I don't know whether he is to blame or whether Megan Racing is to blame for the delay, but I agree SC is a shady character and should have contacted me with tracking information.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:10 AM
atadlo

Originally posted by rocketrider
I got mine from streetcustoms as well, but the shipping label said that they were shipped directly to me from Megan Racing. I don't know whether he is to blame or whether Megan Racing is to blame for the delay, but I agree SC is a shady character and should have contacted me with tracking information.

Same here- received the package Tuesday, so overall it was just over 2 weeks from the time i placed my order. i was sent an email that was supposed to be able to track through ups where the package was but it never showed up...but that's a good point maybe megan racing was held up. still though, through 2 or 3 emails (i couldnt find a phone number) and no response, even when threatening to stop payment, i never heard anything from this company. oh well, live and learn...i'm just glad the damn things came! anyone else out there, think twice before jumping on the best deal...
Old 02-24-2005, 03:24 PM
basam350z

Those of you who took your car somewhere to insall. How much did you pay for install?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:40 PM
jmaldonado

Good luck with that...alot of places wouldnt even touch them...I took them to a tuner shop, they put them in...80 bucks...I think that was high but I liked the place and the people...good work
Old 02-24-2005, 05:52 PM
basam350z

I have a friend that will do the install at his shop, but he said $50 and I'm thinking that is a little high. He thinks it will take an hour and that the rate he gives me per hour, instead of the regular $65.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:26 PM
uplz4588

50bucks is a cheap install IMO... ill tell ya guys 2marrow how they sound w/ mysetup i will be doing the install with a buddy of mine...
Old 02-24-2005, 10:03 PM
jchen1020

I am bidding one set online, my stupid random tech blown on me, I will gut it out and keep it for spare just in case these set sounds stupid. We will see what happens. I hope I have no rasp with this set up. Cat is cat, 120 bucks is heck of a deal
Old 02-25-2005, 09:48 PM
uplz4588

ok i installed them today... install is kind of a ***** and took 2.5 hours.... outside in ~33 degree weather....

performance: AMAZING these suckers pull so hard!
fitment: they bolted right up w/ the rest of my mods
sound: have some rasp... i dont know if its rasp or buzzing from my exhuast hitting the crossmember i think its a little of both so next weekend im going to rap the sections of exhuast that go over the crossmember w/ some header wrap and see what happens
Old 02-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure to have a friend drive off in your car after installing them so you can hear what they sound like under load. I thought the one's I had in my old Z sounded good until I heard someone driving off in it.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:42 AM
basam350z

Selling a set of these. Brand new, follow the link and you'll know why.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=112025
Old 02-27-2005, 05:01 PM
uplz4588

my CEL came on today....
Old 02-27-2005, 05:16 PM
jmaldonado

Default that sucks

Originally posted by uplz4588
my CEL came on today....
That sucks...Ive had mine on for a couple of weeks and nothing.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:35 PM
jchen1020

Here is the best info if anyone is concerned about Tuberlance. Stock and all after market headers have 2.25 collector, and the end of the header where it connects to a cat. it remains 2.25. Company like RT make their cats the way it is so that it will fit OEM exhaust and header perfect. Megan made 2.25 to connect with OEM header or all after market header on the 3 **** side where it connects with the header. Where it tails off, it is using 2.5 to fit most after market Y pipes such as UTR, Pro 1, Megan, Nismo, Fuji and the reast where the start with 2.5 collector and finishes off with 3" at the end. Of course you do not want to go back down to a 2.5 at the end of Y pipe. Nismo full set up is nice. Or Fuji, Power Enterprise, and a lot of other after market are 3" as well. If you went with Kinetix Y set up, got to go with Borla single exit or magnaflow at the end. because those are 2.5" tubing. Jap trix fix some of the issues, but try to stick with one brand so that you have no flange problems or just do more research before buying a product. Look at my list, the entire exhaust system is thought out before it is on. Borla header ends at 2.25. Megan starts at 2.25 ends at 2.5. UTR Y Pipe starts at 2.5, ends at 3", PE starts at 3" ends at muffler out. That is Free Flow, examples like this makes a car run healthy. Also make sure the gaskets are right size as well. That is also important. Hope this help the confused and the lost
Old 02-28-2005, 06:48 AM
rocketrider

Originally posted by uplz4588
ok i installed them today... install is kind of a ***** and took 2.5 hours.... outside in ~33 degree weather....

performance: AMAZING these suckers pull so hard!
fitment: they bolted right up w/ the rest of my mods
sound: have some rasp... i dont know if its rasp or buzzing from my exhuast hitting the crossmember i think its a little of both so next weekend im going to rap the sections of exhuast that go over the crossmember w/ some header wrap and see what happens
I had mine installed on Friday. It sounded great. There was not rasp or CEL (I have a 2003). My Borla true dual cat back had been squeeking a little in the rear where the hanger was rubbing against the aluminum mount (where the rubber boot is). With the test pipes, that squeeking turned into a major rumble. I also experienced a "whisp" sound around the H pipe of the exhaust at around 2200rpms. I would rev it up to 3000 and let off and at 2200 I heard what sounded like something rattling around inside the pipe. So after $45 to install (I got a deal), there were still vibration problems so I took it to a muffler shop. I had read on here that some people had brackets welded to the pipes and mounted them to the arm that is bolted into the transmission. That didn't fix the "whisp" problem however. So then we started removing the exhaust from the test pipes back. We found nothing in the pipes. Then we cranked up the car with the exhaust disconnected and still heard the "whisp." It turns out that there's something (metal shavings, ect.) inside the resonator of the test pipe that's rattling around. It cost me another $50 at the muffler shop to determine that. I did get the rumble fixed by cutting the hanger of the pasenger side muffler inlet and welding it back on at an angle. So now I have over $200 in these pipes and I still have that rattling inside the resonators. Does anyone know if whatever's in there will eventually wear down enough to blow out? I plan to complain to Megan Racing but even if they did send a replacement set, I'd have to pay for shipping and labor to put the new ones on.

Quick Reply: $95 resonated test pipes?....