Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

AAM SPEC Angled Plenum Spacer !Group Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Nano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roark
Not quite true. 40 turns, each thread will hold 1/40th the load.
bolt works in compression

load on the threads is not linear
Old 03-17-2005, 04:17 PM
MIDENGINE3SGTE

would it be easier to make the kit come with studs and nuts instead of bolt
Old 03-18-2005, 09:46 AM
t350z

Now there's a good idea.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by t350z
Now there's a good idea.
i don't like the idea because this would add to the complications of the installation and removal of the plenum. remember, you have steel bolts/studs going into aluminum....so stripping these threads is a good possibility if you over torque these bolts/studs. you would never get those studs to seat permanently being that they are steel and the plenum is aluminum. so, if you go with studs, now you have the studs and nuts coming out when your removing them....so you basically have the same function as a bolt....thats why its engineered this way.

just having the right sized bolts is an easy and very affordable solution to the problem....and applying the correct torque
Old 03-18-2005, 01:42 PM
mikedZ33

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
my question was will these 2 ea. E-6 bolts need to be longer too, or just removed completely....sorry for the confusion

I am also confused by this. What exactly needs to be done with the E-6 studs?
Old 03-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by mikedZ33
I am also confused by this. What exactly needs to be done with the E-6 studs?
I think you just leave them there

removing them is optional = you can leave them there
Old 03-18-2005, 09:25 PM
joust75

Dave, I placed my order bout 3 weeks ago and my check was cashed two weeks ago. May I please have an e-receipt or an order confirmation sent. I would like an ETA as well if you can figure this out.
I will continue to be patient , thanks.

Julien
Old 03-19-2005, 05:57 AM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

I am about to go find out if the spacer fits with the JIC strut bar =/ wish me luck I will update this afternoon.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Road Warrior

i am having a hard time finding local hardware stores that carry these size bolts posted previously (although not required i am going to replace the bolts to our corrected sizes)...anyone have a website recommendation?
Old 03-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Road Warrior

well i installed the spacer a little while ago even though i was unable to obtain the desired hardware. imo some of the bolts are too short that are reused so it will be up to the person installing as to whether or not he/she is comfortable with the sizes.

one thing that i found to make the install much easier is to remove the intake tube that connects to the throttle body and air box. this will allow you to move the plenum more easily and to make sure everything is lined up properly. you can do it without removing this tube but the plenum is much harder to move around and keep into place and the tube creates a binding feeling because it doesn't allow much movement. also, the 6 center bolts needed to be retorqued 3-4 times once everything is seated...the other bolts seemed to remain torqued after the first time i torqued them down.

i didn't get but one run in after the install and performance wise i can tell you there is a difference. i installed headers last week and the gains were barely noticeable. the plenum spacer you can really feel the difference.....hard pull throughout the powerband.

since i didn't do a dyno i don't really know how much power i have gained...but i am very happy with the butt dyno results. good luck to the rest of you'all...later

rw.....oooouuuttt
Old 03-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many spacers have been shipped out so far? I haven't gotten any shipping info on mine yet...
Old 03-19-2005, 07:00 PM
derek173

i am having a hard time finding local hardware stores that carry these size bolts posted previously (although not required i am going to replace the bolts to our corrected sizes)...anyone have a website recommendation?

yes they are hard to find I went to ten places with no luck. I ordered them from here

http://www.boltdepot.com/

here is my order

Metric hex bolts, Metric partial thread bolts, Steel grade 10.9, in following sizes :

6mm x 1.0, 35mm
6mm x 1.0, 30mm
6mm x 1.0, 40mm
6mm x 1.0, 60mm
6mm x 1.0, 70mm
Old 03-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Th3Cleaner

Talking

I installed mine today, went to napa they had a drawer with the 35mm bolts and the number 6 washers for front of Plenum... dude just gave em to me free :-) the spacer took about 20-30 min to install... besides testing the strut bar heights... I used 2 spacer washers on both sides of the strut bar.

I am no gear head at all I only opened the hood once to install a pop charger...this install was super easy...figuring out the bolt and sizes took no more then a couple min..its common sence.

I am getting a low end vibration from somwhere though...
and what about the 2 studs that are too short with no nuts tieing them down???
the kit never came with those or replaced them, and I think it should.
its almost half *** to not have those.

over all drove the car 200 miles today after install, and the powerband is accepable at my alt 5000 feet, feels nice and strong, not to mention the added NOISE :-)

My install:
unbolt strut bar
unbolted all the bolts for Plenum
un bolt air intake (at the throttle body) and un-clip the wire harness
Lift Plenum straight up and slid in spacer/w/gastket, set down and bolt back up.

Last edited by Th3Cleaner; 03-19-2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:16 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Th3Cleaner
I installed mine today, went to napa they had a drawer with the 35mm bolts and the number 6 washers for front of Plenum... dude just gave em to me free :-) the spacer took about 20-30 min to install... besides testing the strut bar heights... I used 2 spacer washers on both sides of the strut bar.

I am no gear head at all I only opened the hood once to install a pop charger...this install was super easy...figuring out the bolt and sizes took no more then a couple min..its common sence.

I am getting a low end vibration from somwhere though...
and what about the 2 studs that are too short with no nuts tieing them down???
the kit never came with those or replaced them, and I think it should.
its almost half *** to not have those.

over all drove the car 200 miles today after install, and the powerband is accepable at my alt 5000 feet, feels nice and strong, not to mention the added NOISE :-)

My install:
unbolt strut bar
unbolted all the bolts for Plenum
un bolt air intake (at the throttle body) and un-clip the wire harness
Lift Plenum straight up and slid in spacer/w/gastket, set down and bolt back up.

i used the same amount of washers on my strut bar too and replaced those studs with bolts
Old 03-20-2005, 08:30 AM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

The JIC strut bar does NOT fit with this spacer =/...I really like the look of this bar but I dont want to risk dremmeling the underside of my hood and squeezing it under there b.c. I am sure when the engine rocks I will start to dent my hood. As far as the install I couldn't find the bolts that those who already installed suggested and I was too impatient to waiso we just used the ones that came with it...The spacer is installed but The front most bolt was too short so i left it out for now and will need a 35mm to fill that void. I got some suction from air leaking through some of the bolts/washers so we had to tighten them up more(scarry) and use some little rubber gaskets. I think it's running ok now and I can feel the gains so all is well...Just bummed over that strut bar right now.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kamikaZ
The JIC strut bar does NOT fit with this spacer =/...I really like the look of this bar but I dont want to risk dremmeling the underside of my hood and squeezing it under there b.c. I am sure when the engine rocks I will start to dent my hood. As far as the install I couldn't find the bolts that those who already installed suggested and I was too impatient to waiso we just used the ones that came with it...The spacer is installed but The front most bolt was too short so i left it out for now and will need a 35mm to fill that void. I got some suction from air leaking through some of the bolts/washers so we had to tighten them up more(scarry) and use some little rubber gaskets. I think it's running ok now and I can feel the gains so all is well...Just bummed over that strut bar right now.
just curious...where were your air leaks? how did you know that they were leaking and did you use the specified torque? did you use the rubber washers that came with the kit?

sorry to hear your JIC won't work...hopefully you can find a way to make it fit!!

Last edited by Road Warrior; 03-20-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:28 AM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

just curious...where were your air leaks? how did you know that they were leaking and did you use the specified torque? did you use the rubber washers that came with the kit?

sorry to hear your JIC won't work...hopefully you can find a way to make it fit!!
Yes we used the washers and torqued to spec, I am not sure where my problems came from but if you have a leak you will know it. I had a very noticeable hiss that I could hear from in and out of the car. Also if you place your hand over the area you suspect may be leaking there will be suction. I hope the bat will be able to fit also but I dont think it's possible.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kamikaZ
Yes we used the washers and torqued to spec, I am not sure where my problems came from but if you have a leak you will know it. I had a very noticeable hiss that I could hear from in and out of the car. Also if you place your hand over the area you suspect may be leaking there will be suction. I hope the bat will be able to fit also but I dont think it's possible.
were those the top six bolts in the middle of the plenum that were leaking?

i didn't really check for leaks but thats a good idea to make sure everything is sealed.

on the JIC...is there any adjustment....i had to adjust my stock strut bar to get the holes to line up after putting in the spacers.

Last edited by Road Warrior; 03-20-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:11 PM
the7ferret

one thing that i found to make the install much easier is to remove the intake tube that connects to the throttle body and air box.
i second that, I was trying to slip my spacer under the plenum but in the back it kept binding up on something. Once I undid the tube i could life it up more and it went easy. Its an extra 1 min to unhook it but it will save you 10 min of fidigiting with it.

Too bad it was raining yesterday when i put mine on. I couldn't notice any real gains.

But ill try later today when i go to the mall.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:25 PM
mikedZ33

one thing that i found to make the install much easier is to remove the intake tube that connects to the throttle body and air box. this will allow you to move the plenum more easily and to make sure everything is lined up properly. you can do it without removing this tube but the plenum is much harder to move around and keep into place and the tube creates a binding feeling because it doesn't allow much movement. also, the 6 center bolts needed to be retorqued 3-4 times once everything is seated...the other bolts seemed to remain torqued after the first time i torqued them down.

I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. So you do not have to remove throttle body from the upper plenum. Just the remove the plastic air tube that connects to the throttle body and it will lift up freely.

Quick Reply: AAM SPEC Angled Plenum Spacer !Group Buy!