Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

N/A dyno numbers KINETIX intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
lsdunique

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The manifold is being released regardless, and I am sure we will continue to see dynos in the future on cars with all different kinds of mods.

It is another option for the NA market.

Some people like the spacers, which I personally think are a very good mod, especially for the price. While others opt for our plenum, or the Crawford plenum, which are also great solutions.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:16 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZBoater
Geez, I dont understand all this hoobaboloo about the stock numbers being so low. Yes, stock Zs average 235hp at the rear wheels. Does the word AVERAGE mean anything? Dyno results can vary as much as 30hp on the SAME CAR in different machines. Does anyone have the link to that article where they took the SAME bone stock Z car to 6 different dynos and got the six different results with a difference of 30hp between the highest and lowest? Quibbling over a couple of hp on the baseline dyno done in different dyno machines is pointless, and even on the same machine different Zs will have slightly different numbers, hence the word AVERAGE.

Now, comparing the base dyno with the one with the new manifold, 12hp is nothing to sneeze at. Remember, that is JUST the manifold. Change out the intake, headers, cats and exhaust and you are looking at some serious NA gains.

My problem is that already owning the v4 plenum, any gains I will see will not be as dramatic (a couple 3 or 4 hp at best), and for $700, ugghhh!!!! If I didnt have the v4, I would jump on it. Heck, I'm still thinking of jumping on it cause the thing looks so darn good!!!!

Thanks Kinetix for another cool product for our Zs.
Sell the V4, go stock plenum for a little while and then buy the manifold. That way you recoup some of your money, you get used to the OEM plenum power and then you are amazed by the power of the new IM!!
Old 04-26-2005, 02:21 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lsdunique

The stock numbers were taken back in january, with the middle dyno run used (threw out the highest and lowest)
Why didn't you do new base lines runs today before swapping on the new manifold? Comparing a dyno today to one run 4 months ago with different gas in the tank and different weather is not exactly an ideal comparison.

Are you offering a chance for anyone to do an idependent NA before and after dyno? I'm happy to volunteer. I'll even pay for the manifold.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:21 PM
zachcrosen

Originally Posted by lsdunique
The manifold is being released regardless, and I am sure we will continue to see dynos in the future on cars with all different kinds of mods.

It is another option for the NA market.

Some people like the spacers, which I personally think are a very good mod, especially for the price. While others opt for our plenum, or the Crawford plenum, which are also great solutions.
Robert!!! Let me know whats up with payment info and the final details of this GB. There are several guys wanting to hurry up and throw their money at you guys!! Hell, I want to throw some at you too.

FYI, I will be hosting this GB and I will initially post it in the engine/drivetrain forum and hope that it doesnt get moved elsewhere. For some reason, I AM NOT able to post in the vendor classified GB forums which is where MY feeler thread has been moved. As soon as I get all info from Robert, I will start a new thread with info on this manifold as well as MANY of Kinetix's other great products!

Zach
Old 04-26-2005, 02:28 PM
lsdunique

Ideally we would want all runs done on the same day, however we had been through many runs prior, and we dont have easy access to dyno runs.

We are not affiliated with XS engineering in any way, so we have to schedule dynos by appointment like everyone else.

The car had less than 100 miles put on it between runs, and the temperature was 2 degrees colder on the stock runs (64 vs 66 degrees) however SAE corrects differences.

We should be able to do some operating temperature measurements this week, and as previously posted, this manifold is also 8.5lbs lighter than stock.

Zach, I will PM you group buy details
Old 04-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Faluzure

Originally Posted by zzzya
Umm the new Kinetix replaces both the upper and lower manifold, plus it really doesn't look all that good since it will sit off center in the engine bay. Until a better NA application arrives (hopefully 350EVO) then the polished Crawford plenum still gets my vote for the best overall value and looks for NA and FI applications. The dynos done with the new Kinetix and FI are really not proven yet until some more people start dynoing with it as people have seen similar spikes in numbers at the high rpm range with Crawford plenums because of A/F ratios going a bit leaner towards redline.
Yeah my bad. After being corrected, I realize it is an upper and lower intake manifold replacement. I didn't look close enough (from the provided pics) to see that it was off center, so I don't have an opinion on that. However, seeing pics of a polished was very cool. It was blingy! Now considering what it is, I think the GB price matches well.

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
Im not sure I agree with your "overhyped it" comment. This manifold was designed for a F/I car and NOT a NA car. From what I understand, runner length is an important factor on the manifold. I think that the fact that this thing still provides gains of 12-15 HP on a NA car throughout the powerband is awesome. The fact that they were able to get this high of gains out of a F/I designed manifold is awesome IMO. PLus this thing is soooo fuking hot. Nothing else looks this awesome.
Maybe overhyped was the wrong word to use. Just as mario60185 said, people seeing the FI numbers expected to see really high NA numbers too. I think Kinetix did a wonderful job.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
slaponte

lsd, I also offer to install and Dyno and pay for one. I would have JWT Pop charger, Topspeed headers, Kinetix HF cats and a Y pipe. All else OEM. I have a Kinetix V4 on it now, but have my OEM plenum available. I think the ideal would be with everything else on, go back to the OEM, baseline there, then V4, then the new manifold, same day, same car, same dyno. I have original 18"s on.

I don't think anybody in the world puts on a plenum and thats it. Anybody who gets that far will probably do intake, some exhaust, etc. It just doesn't make sense any other way. So an OEM car delta to this plenum is a good number to have, but nobody realy does that. Plenum+FI or Plenum+Int+Exh is what people will do.

I am very pleased to see gains at 4K rpm. I drive mi car more in the 3K to 5K range and so low to mid raneg power sounds good to me. What the heck do I do with HP at 7K, unless I am going racing?

On the cost, $700 - what I get for the V4 will make it better. I've only had the V4 for a few weeks, but like this one a lot.

LSD, no pics on the custom cover yet?
Old 04-26-2005, 02:35 PM
DomZ

There is no way to get same-day same temperature same-condition runs? Honestly, it would probably sell a lot more if you guys gave us concrete results.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:51 PM
zachcrosen

Originally Posted by DomZ
There is no way to get same-day same temperature same-condition runs? Honestly, it would probably sell a lot more if you guys gave us concrete results.
I honestly dont think Kinetix is going to have any problems selling these. They already have over 60 interested parties on the GB feeler thread.

All dyno numbers will be different even on the same day, same conditions, etc. The same day I dynoed at 232 HP, I also dynoedat like 222 ish. I had around 10-12 runs and they varied by about 10 HP. As ZBoater stated a minute ago, these are AVERAGE numbers.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:59 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by Phatmitzu
I know this new IM gained ~50whp "peak" on a vorteched Z, but how come the N/A results have better average gains across entire the rpm line? I would suspect the FI would have the same gains across the board too, if not better.

*FI Dyno chart for reference*
Keep in mind the "prototype" was VERY rough. Not SS. lsdunique made some changes to the IM I currently have installed, which is the polished and the same as was dynoed for NA numbers. Hopefully, early next week I will have an opportunity to get back on the dyno. I do expect some different results, as a result of IM improvements and some tuning that will take place.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:02 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
Keep in mind the "prototype" was VERY rough. Not SS. lsdunique made some changes to the IM I currently have installed, which is the polished and the same as was dynoed for NA numbers. Hopefully, early next week I will have an opportunity to get back on the dyno. I do expect some different results, as a result of IM improvements and some tuning that will take place.
What was the IM you used made our of? Just Curious.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:03 PM
subdriver

I really like the looks and don't mind spending more money on it. I do however have reservations. I would like to see two dyno's on the same day with no reflash in between. Some mods would be nice. I'll buy one if I see the numbers give the same increase (or better with mods) By the way, where are the pics of the engine cover?
Old 04-26-2005, 03:14 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by teh215
What was the IM you used made our of? Just Curious.
Steel Vs SS and while I didn't weigh the "prototype", it was probably much heavier. Again, will try to do some FI pulls next week.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:15 PM
xephiron

I am with Zach... true it may only give similar results NA as a plenum spacer or replacement (V4 or Crawford, etc.) but that is on a stock car. Look at the design, you start adding intake, exhaust, headers, cams, etc. etc. It will only improve. This new plenum is hungry, it needs more air than a stock configuration can provide. It also looks freaking HOT!! and that alone is worth $700 or so to most people, regardless of gains. I mean, how many of you have paid like $500 or so just to get a stock plenum that is polished? And anything is better than adding spacers and gaskets... duck tape, etc. Buy it or not, it is a great product and they achieved their goals with it. They took no shortcuts either, they actually designed a quality product. This is not a turbonator, stack of gaskets, etc. etc.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:18 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

the only thing holding me back is modded dyno, and individual throttle bodies.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:55 PM
lsdunique

I totally understand many people waiting for further results, and I want people who are hesitant to wait for further reviews, because I wouldnt want them possibly later feeling like they shouldnt have purchased.

We never pressure people into buying, and we always try to be as straight forward as possible.

I am sure we will see some highly modified NA cars doing some testing, I already have 2 people who want us to weld in bungs for nitrous testing as well.

This is only the products release, and is a phase that ALL new products go through. Some wait, and some just simply CANT wait. We have tried to put as good an effort into this product as possible for us.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

you guys did good bro. some of us are impatient and eager for more. you know how that is.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:59 PM
booger

any pics of the engine cover yet ?
Old 04-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Vash350Z

Another great product from kinetix! Great job guys, ill will be purchasing one down the road, possibly sooner if i see a before and after dyno of an N/A going from a V4 to the new manifold!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:05 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

hey kinetix any chance of individual throttle bodies coming out. That would be bad!

Quick Reply: N/A dyno numbers KINETIX intake manifold