MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Intake Exhaust (https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust-334/)
-   -   Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts (https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/203963-removed-stock-muffler-my-thoughts.html)

SBT 07-16-2006 08:50 AM

Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts

BEST VIDEO IS ON PAGE 4 AND FINISHED PICTURES ARE ON PAGE 5

I was bored when I woke up and decided to take off my stock muffler. The only reason I thought of this was because I heard a crappy video clip in "exhaust sound clips needed" sticky thread of some member who did the same. It sounded pretty good so I thought I would try it.

The removal was pretty easy. I jacked the car up from the rear passenger side to make things easier. Just 3 nuts and 3 exhaust hangers. The exhaust hangers take some time to wrestle free. I used WD-40 to make the prongs slip out easier, but alternatively, you could just unbolt the hangers from the frame.

Looks: You can see the stock exhaust from the rear, say, if you were driving behind me. So it would be slightly aesthetically unpleasing to leave everything like this.

Sound: F***ING INCREDIBLE. Seriously, this sounds better than any exhaust I've ever heard. No rasp AT ALL, maintains the stock sound but is significantly louder, but at the same time I highly doubt it is loud enough to get pulled over.

Power: I don't know if it made any difference. I really don't care though, as the sound is awesome. I'm not too concerned with making a lot of power right now on my daily driver.

My Plans: This really sounds great. What I would like to do is just eliminate the existence of a muffler from my car. Hopefully, I can find an exhaust shop that will fab up a sort of Y-pipe/axle-back exhaust piece for me that will maintain the stock look with two tips. I can even bolt on or weld on these happy guys...

cheap $40 tips

Is the stock exhaust 2.5"?...I forgot to check.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/ver...itemid=4252934

Bottom Line: I think that for anywhere from $100-$300, I can pull off something great.

I'll keep you guys posted, and hopefully I can shoot some videos today if I get around to it.

-Chris

rythex 07-16-2006 09:33 AM

I don't think it would be that loud.. :P

m0rb!d 07-16-2006 11:29 AM

Is it illegal to have no mufflers? I live in VA if that matters. Just wondering because I might do the same to my car.

plumpzz 07-16-2006 12:58 PM

cheap ***es. lol.

SBT 07-16-2006 01:02 PM

i don't know what the deal is...but there are cats and resonators on stock exhausts...they may classify as muffling devices if you are required to have one

if you aren't, I can assure you that this setup will not breach the decibel limit enforced by laws

if anyone knows for sure, chime in

raj: did you get that goddamn exhaust yet?

plumpzz 07-16-2006 02:10 PM

NOO!! i think UPS lost it. Im going insane man! Its been 8 days! I know they dont deliver on Sunday. If it doesn't come in tom im gonna call Scott and threaten him with his life again haha

SBT 07-16-2006 03:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here are some pictures and I'll start uploading the videos to a site

-chris

SBT 07-16-2006 03:58 PM

videos here...sound is a little muffled by the digital camera:

Click here to watch 350Z-wo-muffler-start-up

Click here to watch 350Z-wo-muffler-outside-rev

Click here to watch 350Z-wo-muffler-in-car-rev

Click here to watch 350Z-wo-muffler-medium-throttle

Click here to watch 350Z-wo-muffler-light-throttle

Click here to watch 350Z-wo-muffler-2nd-3rd

Click here to watch 350Z-wo-muffler-1st-2nd

enjoy

jksstar 07-16-2006 04:39 PM

whatelse is done to the car?

SBT 07-16-2006 05:04 PM

popcharger...that's it man

and the videos definitely aren't doing the sound enough justice

i'll see if I can get a hold of a better camera

HyperSprite 07-16-2006 10:51 PM

It's people like you that cause old ladies to call their state representatives to propose even more restrictions for our cars.

If you insist on driving the car with no back box, you should get a proper tip put on as soot as possible or you will burn your back bumper.

Chris

ISMSOLUTIONS 07-17-2006 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
It's people like you that cause old ladies to call their state representatives to propose even more restrictions for our cars.

If you insist on driving the car with no back box, you should get a proper tip put on as soot as possible or you will burn your back bumper.

Chris

You wont burn your bumper at all - you'll kill yourself from inhaling the fumes...

Z33Benny 07-17-2006 03:41 AM

lol you guys make a big deal just cause he took his exhaust off.

1. its not that loud.
2. he wont kill himself with fumes unless hes been sitting in a closed garage for hours, with the car on.

sounds good man, keep on doing whatever you want.. its your ride.

SBT 07-17-2006 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
You wont burn your bumper at all - you'll kill yourself from inhaling the fumes...

seriously...the outlet is nowhere near the bumper...definitely not close enough to burn it

it's really not THAT loud, just satisyfingly loud

and I don't think the fumes would make it into the car, especially while I'm moving. I don't plan to drive around like this...I just don't have the new piece made yet (obviously). I'm using another car to drive to work for now until I put the stock muffler or a tailpipe on.

so aside from people who want to talk about morality and health issues, I'll keep the others updated on my progress

-chris

HyperSprite 07-17-2006 07:22 AM

It's a maturity issue, not a morality issue.

It's about the continued barrage of legislation that is aimed at people like you that hits people like me. Even though exhaust noise is a local issue, it gets national attention so the "I live here and you live there does not really apply". If one state finds a way to shut people like you up, others will follow their example and try and enact the same type of legislation. A few states already ban aftermarket exhaust ,regardless of sound, and more are considering it.

On the bumper issue, the end is aimed up into the rear and the exhaust stays hot long after it leaves the pipe, you would be surprised how well it will heat things up back there. But, ok, you don't really drive it and you haven't had real tips made yet, good luck with that.

Chris

sq40 07-17-2006 07:27 AM

Doesnt someone make a bolt on "Y" pipe for the rear with two fart cans that replace the stock muffler?

97supratt 07-17-2006 07:51 AM

Dude do you realize you drive a 350Z not a 93 Honda Civic hb? Show some respect for the car man.

eat rice z33 07-17-2006 08:44 AM

ok heres my take on the situation. i want my exhaust to be slightly louder but still sound EXACTLY the same as stock. these clips sound like there exactly what im looking for. So i obviously are not going to drive around with no tips but this has opened up some new ideas for me, perhaps ill make a custom exit exhaust to go with my body kit

SBT 07-17-2006 08:54 AM

where is the respect issue coming from? not using the stock muffler in place of a custom dual exit setup? or is it just that i found a way not to spend a lot of money on an "exhaust"? listen...let's not let this turn into a crappy thread. this could be interesting. it could provide other owners with a way to get a nice sound (maybe more power) out of the car, with a similar to stock look out back for less than $300, pending how much people charge to bend the pipe for this setup.

i don't want to see any more comments about this because:

1) i'm not going to be driving the car around as you see it in the picture
2) it's not louder than cars with test pipes or "loud" systems out there already

i took the car out for a total of about 20 minutes on a single day just to hear what it would sound like

SBT 07-17-2006 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by eat rice z33
ok heres my take on the situation. i want my exhaust to be slightly louder but still sound EXACTLY the same as stock. these clips sound like there exactly what im looking for. So i obviously are not going to drive around with no tips but this has opened up some new ideas for me, perhaps ill make a custom exit exhaust to go with my body kit

that's my take too...otherwise i wouldn't be sitting here typing all this. nobody would drive around without tips like that...it looks ugly. the more people's minds that I can spark interest and imagination in, the better