Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

hks knock off

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:32 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
It is a revup. No, I never dynoed it, but I can tell I have made some good gains over stock. It has leaned out big time, I have the cleanest tailpipes and get the best fuel mileage in the state. Waiting on the Cobb AccessPort for tuning.
Just get a UTEC and call it a day.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv

Just out of curiosity what do you drive?
03 super black base

Last edited by 781; 11-30-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Diesel350
There you go again knocking down every other product but what's on your car. LOL
Wrong. I give props to products I like, regardless of whether its on my car or not. The HKS exhaust isn't bad, but just doesn't sound good in my opinion. And the last time I checked, everyone is entitled to an opinion. "LOL"

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Pressure chambers, they reduce back pressure a bit and lower the noise level.
I'd be interested in hearing how exactly these pressure chambers lower backpressure. I was under the impression that they did the opposite (to a point). Putting an enclosed pocket on the exhaust to catch air may help baffle vibration (resonation), but I fail to see how it would flow better in comparison to a straight pipe.

Do you have any documentation on how these would actually relieve backpressure?

And, as far as knockoffs not being quality products, that's a blanket statement that isn't always true. I've seen some pretty high quality "knockoff" parts, even some that surpassed the quality of the original name brand part. Before claiming this exhaust will fall apart simply because it doesn't have an HKS logo on it, you should get a solid review on someone that has experience with it.

Last edited by taurran; 11-30-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:24 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by taurran

I'd be interested in hearing how exactly these pressure chambers lower backpressure. I was under the impression that they did the opposite (to a point). Putting an enclosed pocket on the exhaust to catch air may help baffle vibration (resonation), but I fail to see how it would flow better in comparison to a straight pipe.

Do you have any documentation on how these would actually relieve backpressure?

Yeah sorry its the opposite, increases back pressure. Hard to post sane answers at work. lol
Old 12-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Amiricanmade

I called they said it was 2.5 pipping. ...but he was not "sure".
Old 12-02-2006, 04:32 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2.5" is bigger than the HKS isn't it?

I noticed in one of their adds in a magazine they seemed to have alot of knock off parts including 2JZ/RB26 turbo manifolds
Old 12-02-2006, 06:17 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if it breaks the weld at the rear hanger like some people have posted on here happens with the real HKS.

I also wonder if it hits on the rear differential like some people have posted on here happens with the real HKS.

Geez, if you want HKS, pay. Stop crying about what other people are buying.
If your HKS is worth $1500 to you (BTW - you paid $300 too much) someone else buying this other one did not reduce your value to you one little bit.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think HKS is by far the best exhuast for the Z hands down. After hearing this HKS knockoff, it defintely doesn't sound anything like the real HKS. I would rather spend more on the real thing than some shiet like this. I would rather have my exhaust done right the first time. HKS or bust....
Old 12-02-2006, 06:46 PM
drivenCSZ

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Most people here that don't like knock-offs are either vendors or their minions. I have no issue with copies, and there is nothing illegal or even unethical, unless there are patent issues involved. It's called the American way. IMO, it fosters competition and lower prices. Two thing to remember, you get what you pay for, in most cases, and if it looks too good to be true, it usually is.
Im not saying i wouldnt buy a good knockoff product but the knockoffs for mods doesnt foster competition. If anything it hinders competition because cheap knockoffs are diluting profit returns for research and development of new products...thus new companies with innovative ideas and products have less incentive to jump into the market. The knockoffs arent making a better product theyre just capitalizing on somebody else's R&D. If say fuji or greddy came out with an HKS-ish exhaust but improved performance and lessened the weight at the same price. Then maybe HKS would have to lower their price and or improve on their exhaust or whattever...thats cometition. Not somebody trying to solely make their product look like a name brands at the cost of performance and good workmanship.

Last edited by drivenCSZ; 12-02-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:30 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I respectfully disagree. If HKS and their distributors lose enough market share, they will cut prices. And as far as R&D, some knockoffs have improved on the shortcomings of the original product, something a big company won't do, for whatever reason.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:36 PM
06r33z

i spoke to the owner of xo2racing he designs the parts and hes told me that he has an hks replica so his not trying to lie about anything any1 have this exhaust?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I might consider this exhaust as I just want to get away from stock for now and will eventually get a 3" td. But now that I think about it I'd just rather run center straight thru ovals right after the test pipes, that would be a like a 100 dollar exhaust and should flow a lot better
Old 12-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Ghost_shift

I tried to email the guy who won the exhaust to see if he could get us some pics/vids of his setup. Anyone else want to try????

If it looks/fits/sounds good, then why not buy it??

Heck, Im considering it myself. Im not out to race my car. I just like the looks of it.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Ghost_shift

By the way.... I think the knock off sounds better than the real deal.

Here is a real HKS vid..

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...3000bb3c49.htm
Old 12-03-2006, 11:02 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not in the market, but I am curious also how the quaility is.
That HKS video sucks, btw. The other video sounds ok for what he is doing. It is hard to get a good sound file.

Last edited by gringott; 12-03-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Hybrid90

If you don't work at HKS or not part of the HKS R&D team then shut the *** up. Who cares what others buy for their car or how much they pay for it, it ain't yours... jesus fuking christ... bunch of lil kids when it comes to knock offs or not..
Old 12-03-2006, 04:45 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by Hybrid90
If you don't work at HKS or not part of the HKS R&D team then shut the *** up. Who cares what others buy for their car or how much they pay for it, it ain't yours... jesus fuking christ... bunch of lil kids when it comes to knock offs or not..
Excuse me the guy created a thread for our opinions, get that baseball bat out of your a$$ and actually read our posts weakling.

I don't work for HKS nor have I ever, but I can tell you this. If you buy cheap parts meaning a part that is made of crappy materials then you will net the same results. We're not talking about a front bumper replica where the design is the same and the material is the same. The HKS muffler cannister is different, and the welds are robotic which insures perfection.

If you don't like our comments stop making childish posts yourself. The guy wanted our opinion so we gave it to him, stop getting butt hurt because you can't afford a damn hks exhaust. I have a greddy evo2 exhaust which I think sounds better than a hks myself, but when you compare a real hks to a fake the real one, the authentic one is built of better materials therefore it will actually last.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:58 AM
litlechina

i say this...everyone is entitled to their own opinion....but hey...a fact is a fact...this exhaust is now ON the market...and whoever buys it...best of luck to them...not everyone has the money to spend on a $1500 exhaust but yet would like to take the risk of a cheaper exhaust. We cannot help the fact that there will be "replicas" so its not even worth our time to be judgemental (sp?).

has anyone even tried this yet?

Last edited by litlechina; 12-04-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:02 PM
litlechina

here is another knock-off...i dont know if its the same one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06...54654060QQrdZ1
Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 PM
97supratt

"You gotta pay to play". People are complaining about 1300 for an exhaust, just go look at the m3forums, they pay 3k+ for just rear sections. lol

Quick Reply: hks knock off