Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Really thinking: HKS Dual Hi-Power Titanium

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 PM
texasZ350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah! but this thread still confuses me. the hks seems higher pitched and the x02 seems lower, but in the videos the hks can sound even borderline ricey...thats what worries me. i want quality and performance, but sound wise i dont want ricey....

any help!? thanks
Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 AM
push

Originally Posted by texasZ350
ah! but this thread still confuses me. the hks seems higher pitched and the x02 seems lower, but in the videos the hks can sound even borderline ricey...thats what worries me. i want quality and performance, but sound wise i dont want ricey....

any help!? thanks
Get an xo2 I got the xo2 because it was one of the best sounding exhausts out there for the 350, not because it was an hks knock off. In fact I wish it wasn't so people like gothchick wouldn't be so annoying. I have had the exhaust on for almost a year, daily driven through rain, heat, snow, ice, salt and the exhaust is still in fine shape.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:25 AM
push

Originally Posted by chiho
hi push....even with some problems...i still like it for the price i am not complaining...i am just stating some facts for reference...
afterall.....the cost of ownership for a year or two is like say 200-300 bucks....no big deal ...i just hv it on for fun....
take it easy guys
I know, that post was more for gothchick since the HKS is infallible. The xo2 is a great bang for the buck exhaust, it puts down good power and sounds awesome.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:42 PM
texasZ350

see i dono, the hks people will say hks is better, x02 ppl will say x02 is better. hks seems closer to "exotic" compared to x02, but i dont want any rasp or any "rice" sound....still confused, good thing i have a couple other things to do first lol
Old 01-27-2008, 06:14 PM
push

Originally Posted by texasZ350
see i dono, the hks people will say hks is better, x02 ppl will say x02 is better. hks seems closer to "exotic" compared to x02, but i dont want any rasp or any "rice" sound....still confused, good thing i have a couple other things to do first lol
The HKS sounds raspier than the xo2 hands down. You can reduce the rasp in the HKS by installing an x-pipe, but it still will not sound as deep as an xo2 will. This has been the case with every hks I've heard. That is the main reason I went and got an xo2, because it was a nice deep tone. If the HKS was a deeper exhaust I would have had little problem shelling out over 1k to get it.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:51 PM
texasZ350

eh im still confused, most videos i heard were with test pipes and it could be due to that. no doubt i agree the x02 is alot deeper, but i like the "exotic" tone, not rice. i guess i'm still confused just lookin for the high pitched exotic sound with no rasp. dont mind the high pitch, just dont want rasp or rice or anything! i know i'm probably going in circles lol thanks for ur time btw
Old 01-27-2008, 08:04 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damnnn...look at this guy's problem w/ the x02:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200297
Old 01-28-2008, 05:33 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Damnnn...look at this guy's problem w/ the x02:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200297
Thanks for the heads up, Jonny.

OMFG... If that doesn't scare you away from an x02, I don't know what will. Somehow, I doubt all this rust resulting from inferior stainless is the result of bad shipping... Just reaffirms you get what you pay for. Lol~

~Waits for Push to explain away the terrible x02 quality in the linked thread... This should be interesting.

Last edited by gothchick; 01-28-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 AM
push

Originally Posted by gothchick
Thanks for the heads up, Jonny.

OMFG... If that doesn't scare you away from an x02, I don't know what will. Somehow, I doubt all this rust resulting from inferior stainless is the result of bad shipping... Just reaffirms you get what you pay for. Lol~

~Waits for Push to explain away the terrible x02 quality in the linked thread... This should be interesting.
Or I could pull a gothchick and stick my head in the sand and ignore any points that were brought up and revert to bashing the other person.

But I wont....the xo2 exhaust is made from SUS304 Stainless steel, I did some research, and it appears as if HKS uses SUS304, as well as Greddy and Apexi (didn't look at other brands). I thought it was common sense to keep your aftermarket exhaust as free from corrosive materials, especially road salt. Stainless steel doesn't mean it wont ever rust, just means it takes longer than steel alone. It looks to me HKS used the same grade stainless (SUS304), so I would think this would be a problem with people who don't wash their hks exhaust as well. Except for maybe the tips because they are a titanium alloy, and is more corrosion resistant.

Last edited by push; 01-28-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by push
the xo2 exhaust is made from SUS304 Stainless steel, I did some research, and it appears as if HKS uses SUS304
Well that wasn't very interesting, but it was entertaining.

HKS has never had any problems with inferior stainless or rusting out like it's cheap x02 knockoff.

Did your "research" also show there are different catagories & grades of 304 stainless? The x02 obviously uses the lesser grade. Much lesser. Plus it uses thinner gauge inferior stainless and inferior welds, which will make it even more prone to cracking & breaking (especially when it starts rusting)~

I'm sure you already knew this but there are three main catagories of 304 stainless.
Each catagory has several different grades & gauges.

1) 304
2) 304 H
3) 304 L

Trying to compare the xo2 knockoff to real name brands like HKS and Greddy is simply immature & uneducated foolishness.

~Waits for Push to fall back to his standard whining of, "But, but, but - the x02 'sounds' so much better, blah, blah, blah..." Lol!

Last edited by gothchick; 01-28-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 AM
push

Originally Posted by gothchick
Well that wasn't very interesting, but it was entertaining.

HKS has never had any problems with inferior stainless or rusting out like it's cheap x02 knockoff.

Did your "research" also show there are different catagories & grades of 304 stainless? The x02 obviously uses the lesser grade. Much lesser. Plus it uses thinner gauge inferior stainless and inferior welds, which will make it even more prone to cracking & breaking (especially when it starts rusting)~

I'm sure you already knew this but there are three main catagories of 304 stainless.
Each catagory has several different grades & gauges.

1) 304
2) 304 H
3) 304 L

Trying to compare the xo2 knockoff to real name brands like HKS and Greddy is simply immature & uneducated foolishness.

~Waits for Push to fall back to his standard whining of, "But, but, but - the x02 'sounds' so much better, blah, blah, blah..." Lol!
I am not an engineer so I will not pretend to know what the different grades mean, but I do know the exist. But you seem to be an expert in the field, so please rattle off your credentials and tell me the differences between the grades, and what thickness would be appropriate for an exhaust for the 350z.

In the research I did, all the exhaust links I saw stated SUS 304... NOT 304 H not 304 L, just 304. The one thing I do know though is that 304 H is made for higher temperature applications and has reduced corrosion resistance as a result (got this from my engineer friend). I do not know the different between 304 and 304 L. So if an engineer wants to jump in there let me know. I never said I couldn't be wrong, but that is what I have found so far, it looks like they both use 304 stainless.

That exhaust has hardly rusted out, it is looks like surface rust, which can easily be removed. High quality kitchen stainless will also rust in the right conditions. 2 weeks in a salty and wet environment will cause a lot of stainless to rust.

Please do not try to talk down to me, you just look like you are in grade school calling kids poopy heads. Why does it annoy you so much that I like the xo2, much less my opinion it sounds better? Some people prefer corvettes, others zs. The corvette is arguably better in performance, gas mileage, paint, etc but that doesn't make the person who chose the z stupid, does it?

BTW I had an apexi on my old car, and it developed the same surface rust after being driven around Michigan for 3 weeks without a bath.

Last edited by push; 01-28-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:19 AM
texasZ350

i like both redline and daytona! lol i don't know to each their own. Quality is important to me, so is performance, and so is sound. Hence why i'm still leaning torward the HKS, but i'm still not sold. Only time will tell and i'll figure it out, till then, i'm sure you two will still be arguing lol
Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno, if this matters or not, but my amuse has been covered in white salt and winter crap for like 2 weeks from winter driving. Had a chance to wash and wax today, and clean what I could of the exhaust and it looks as good as new. All of the Amuse is titanium, but I'm not sure if it is full 100% titanium, or a titanium alloy like the ARC bar is.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 AM
push

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
I dunno, if this matters or not, but my amuse has been covered in white salt and winter crap for like 2 weeks from winter driving. Had a chance to wash and wax today, and clean what I could of the exhaust and it looks as good as new. All of the Amuse is titanium, but I'm not sure if it is full 100% titanium, or a titanium alloy like the ARC bar is.
Believe the amuse is 100% titantium and titanium has corrosion resistance properties that far exceed stainless.

Titanium:

Therefore, it performs best in oxidizing media such as hot nitric acid. The oxide film formed on titanium is more protective than that on stainless steel, and it often performs well in media that cause pitting and crevice corrosion in the latter (e.g., seawater, wet chlorine, organic chlorides). While titanium is resistant to these media, it is not immune and can be susceptible to pitting and crevice attack at elevated temperatures. It is, for example, not immune to seawater corrosion if the temperature is greater than about 110oC.
http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Mat...rrtitanium.htm
Old 09-03-2008, 05:59 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Well, now that I'm FI, I love the HKS even more.

Sounds great...
Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
woogie12

Alright, I read the first page, just gotta say I can't stand the sound of the HKS on my brother's G35. Makes me cringe everytime he revs.

To each their own I guess.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:25 AM
singh

^^

Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Peteski

WOW! got to about the 5th page of this thread and its all about a few going back and forth, what ever happend to the ops question on pulling the trigger on this purchase? I think the op wanted opinions on the purchase, and if others are happy with it, not this. You wonder why people dont do a search? Its because of threads like this that take an hour to get thru. I wanted to know what people thought of the HKS exhaust because Im thinking of getting it also, after the first page it was just a who knows and searches more than the other, trying to out do the other, not what I was searching for! Sure it was imformantive somewhat, but come on, start a new thread about X and Y pipes then. No disrespect to the few who have a disagrement.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Funny you say that. I haven't visited this tread in a while either - about the time the pissing match took over.

I just think it's funny that so much time and effort are placed on how an exhaust system soundsinstead of how good or bad it performs. But, to each his/her own.

It's my car. It looks great. Performs great under boost. Haven't really noticed how it sounds.

Can't her it over the supercharger. So...