Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne XYZ-Pipe (Pilot Production)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
how much did the diffuser affect the powerband in comparison to regular canister style mufflers and the ones you will be offering??
A little more than 1/2 a HP when NA.
In all of the research I've done, I've found a collection of various small increases. 1/2 a HP here, 1/2 a HP here, 1-2 HP there, a little more TQ boost on another part of the curve and so forth.
With several small increases available, why not utilize them?

Note: where the diffuser is used also makes a difference. I'll go more into this later.

I also found areas of trade. For example, the primary tubes on the collector... I experimented with 2", 2.25" and 2.5" while holding all other variables constant.

Each different diameter had its strong points, it took a little bit of a judgement call to decide the optimum here, but 2.5" primaries had the best overall curve.

2.25" was good too, but it lost 2 HP up top. 2.25" didn't really seem like an acceptable trade.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM
scmtkings4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
I wouldn't bother with it if that's all you intended to do. Its not untill you have a fully modified exhaust that it is worth considering.

Optimizing the collector merge point is a dyno subtlty that also feels good on the throttle response. Its not MREV2 like gains.

The XYZ pipe outlet is 3". The stock midpipe is 2.5".
The sudden contraction from 3" to 2.5" would likely negate any gains made.

i was going to switch out my nismo y pipe for the XYZ pipe but im gathering from this response that i shouldnt even bother with it? No sound difference?

in your first post it said that the resonator should improve the sound? But should i not bother with it if i was just gonna get the XYZ with resonator?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:49 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

RCdash,

Will do.

There will be the ultimate dual FI exhaust system for the very high HP applications. This one will be saved for last.

After it comes out, it will have to be tested and compared for fitment and dyno results against all other FI exhaust systems on a very high HP Z or G.
Thanks Tony. I don't know how much hp you need to consider "very high", but I'm willing to set the PSI to whatever meets your requirement! (Either that or I'm sure I can bribe you).

Honestly, I'm tired of the loud exhaust drone while cruising around town (2k rpms) and want something quiet that still flows. No fumes + no noise + turbo power = 0 exhausts to choose from. I'm hoping someone on this planet comes up with a product to fill this empty niche...
Old 07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
i was going to switch out my nismo y pipe for the XYZ pipe but im gathering from this response that i shouldnt even bother with it? No sound difference?

in your first post it said that the resonator should improve the sound? But should i not bother with it if i was just gonna get the XYZ with resonator?
hmm good point. But again if I can get a more exoctic sound like a ferrari over my Nismo F it im in. unless its alot of money
Old 07-21-2008, 01:28 PM
ginobetterfly

Tony, correct me if im wrong, but i think him adding the XYZ pipe with resonator will get rid of the rasp/rattle that people experience with nismo exhaust and HFC/test pipes combo... (i know i experienced this when i had my nismo exhaust and Berk HFCs)

i think this is what tony meant when he said it will improve the sound.. to me, no rasp, is the best sound improvement there is.

Last edited by ginobetterfly; 07-21-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Allen331

I have the nismo catback with the Berk metallic HFC. As of right now, I get slight rasp and some popping, which I assume the resonator will fix. If you have a stock cats with the nismo exhaust, keep it that way...it sounds like sex.

I really liked the stock cats plus nismo catback sound, but after I added HFC, the exhaust note I was trying to keep kind of disappeared. I'm hoping this resonator will cure the slight rasp and popping.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:39 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by Allen331
I have the nismo catback with the Berk metallic HFC. As of right now, I get slight rasp and some popping, which I assume the resonator will fix. If you have a stock cats with the nismo exhaust, keep it that way...it sounds like sex.

I really liked the stock cats plus nismo catback sound, but after I added HFC, the exhaust note I was trying to keep kind of disappeared. I'm hoping this resonator will cure the slight rasp and popping.
yeah the rasp is terrible... although i think the nismo with Berks (minus the rasp) sounds better than nismo with stock cats... the HFCs really wake it up..

i would be EXTREMELY interested in hearing the XYZ pipe w/ resonator, nismo muffler and HFCs or test pipes... according to tony, the resonator might just get rid of the rasp thats experienced even with test pipes!!

Last edited by ginobetterfly; 07-21-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
plumpzz

I'll be doing some of the testing. I have a setup that rasps, and I'll compare sounds and post data and videos when its all done with a resonator.. Just wait and see!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:37 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen331

Yeah I noticed the popping with this setup too! It sounds pretty cool to me. HA!

There is a slight rasp, but it's there for a few hundred rpm's and then it dissappears. You guys must mean serious business for getting the exact tone you desire. I don't blame you, it's addicting.

I do however wonder if I can get rid of the hissing I hear everytime I drive the car with the windows down.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

I've made a lot of posts, but I believe that quote was a response to a question relative to the XYZ pipe on a fully stock exhaust system.
I wouldn't bother putting it on an otherwise stock system.
The stock Mid pipe is 2.5". And sudden contractions in the system tend to add rasp. So connecting a resonated XYZ to a stock midpipe would be pointless.

That's a very different situation from what you have.

In your case, you have a 3" midpipe so yes, it will certaintly improve the sound.
If you have test pipes or HFC's on the Nismo exhaust, yes, the resonated XYZ will make a clear reduction in rasp.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 07-21-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:46 AM
nothix

have any of the independent dynos been completed yet?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

No. I still need to get more parts from production to send out.

Dynos will be posted probably within hours of their completion.

...With sound and video too.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:00 PM
aarantes

Can't wait I really want to hear the shockwave I am looking into single exhausts right now.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

tony, taking over the world one car part at a time.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Glex25

Tony

Let me know once the Dual 3" with X pipe is released or if you need someone.
I might not be high HP(425WHP) but definitely like the way the exhaust comes apart with the V-Clamps.

Current setup:
APS TT
Fast Intentions 300cell HFC
Greddy EvoTT true dual 2.75"

Also I see your saying that with the Y pipe that you offer you can
have the cat at that location and use test pipes further up where the
stock cats go but wouldn't that in turn set off O2 CEL's since the O2
sensors would not be relocated.

Last edited by Glex25; 07-22-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Glex25
Tony

Let me know once the Dual 3" with X pipe is released or if you need someone.
I might not be high HP(425WHP) but definitely like the way the exhaust comes apart with the V-Clamps.

Current setup:
APS TT
Fast Intentions 300cell HFC
Greddy EvoTT true dual 2.75"

Also I see your saying that with the Y pipe that you offer you can
have the cat at that location and use test pipes further up where the
stock cats go but wouldn't that in turn set off O2 CEL's since the O2
sensors would not be relocated.
No. I'll have a fix for that once the MD test pipes come out.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 AM
jammin

No. I'll have a fix for that once the MD test pipes come out.
motordyne is coming out with test pipes also? and is this the first part of that secret product your coming out with, with the supposed 40rwtq gain? looking forward for that piece

Last edited by jammin; 07-23-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 AM
FAIRLADYZ_MANnE

thats the other one, and that wont come out for awhile, so might as well forget about it, and just be suprised when it comes out.

he said, the gains are better than the orignal protoype. they are so great posting the gains might get flamed because they are so good.

Last edited by FAIRLADYZ_MANnE; 07-23-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:56 AM
FAIRLADYZ_MANnE

Originally Posted by Fluid1
I hope you're racing on the track.

More hp usually means you're going to notice a difference in a race if you drive well.

If you're worried about what to say to other people asking about your mods, you're too juvenile for this discussion anyway.
well i hope i could amuse some people one here, but i guess not.
i should have known the type of people who drive Z's
anyway.
i guess it will just be like all the other exhaust in performance,
some people look for sound
some people look for looks
I look for power, even if its just a bit more than other exhaust systems.

hey tony, would there be any chance to throw up a dyno comparasion of stock exhaust and then yours, im pretty sure everyone on here, will believe you, mrev and spacer is gold.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by FAIRLADYZ_MANnE
hey tony, would there be any chance to throw up a dyno comparasion of stock exhaust and then yours, im pretty sure everyone on here, will believe you, mrev and spacer is gold.
Yes there will by dynos against stock. Even though I have many dynos of my own, I do prefer to let them be independant.

Quick Reply: Motordyne XYZ-Pipe (Pilot Production)