Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Upgrading Heat Shield for Popcharger

Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could grab Cipher and have all the data logging info you need, be able to post actual graphs that people are familiar with and get instant response from people.

Secondly if you're going to use metal you might want to consider a thermal barrier material wrap for it. Or make it out of heavy ABS plastic. The ABS plastic would be cheaper overall (even saving on shipping), and easier to bend/cut/shape.

Third how about testing in rain soak situations? Have access to a firehose? If you're going to actually seal up the filter from the engine bay you have to make sure you're not hydrolocking a bunch of motors.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by UpRev
You could grab Cipher and have all the data logging info you need, be able to post actual graphs that people are familiar with and get instant response from people.

Secondly if you're going to use metal you might want to consider a thermal barrier material wrap for it. Or make it out of heavy ABS plastic. The ABS plastic would be cheaper overall (even saving on shipping), and easier to bend/cut/shape.

Third how about testing in rain soak situations? Have access to a firehose? If you're going to actually seal up the filter from the engine bay you have to make sure you're not hydrolocking a bunch of motors.
+1 I was asking about this earlier.

Personally I would take a closer look at the stillen intake and draw some ideas from it since its basically the same concept.

I think there is great potential in this, the popcharger is the first mod installed by just about every noob on the forums.

If you can provide a functional add-on to this intake with proven results then you will have no problem selling them.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:19 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by reptile718
+1 I was asking about this earlier.

Personally I would take a closer look at the stillen intake and draw some ideas from it since its basically the same concept.

I think there is great potential in this, the popcharger is the first mod installed by just about every noob on the forums.

If you can provide a functional add-on to this intake with proven results then you will have no problem selling them.
He might if he uses the word PopCharger in any marketing.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:33 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by UpRev
He might if he uses the word PopCharger in any marketing.
True but im sure their are ways around that
Old 08-27-2008, 01:51 PM
350Zforlife
370Zforlife

Subscribed.

So, how much is the production cost and when is it going to be available?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:15 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Hey, I'm wondering if you could apply some sort of Radiant barrier to the metal to keep it cooler ?
Old 08-27-2008, 04:14 PM
blackz123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm reminds me of the arc heat shiled but tht 1 has vents very promising let us all know when u finish this

this c ould b use with a lot of different short rams probly
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 PM
t0mills

I'll be answering questions and posting updated pics by this weekend. I've been extremely busy with work, but I'm getting caught up.

I've not forgot about this.

Thanks for the interest!

Tim
Old 08-28-2008, 03:30 AM
Big Tav

Interesting. I just bought a Pop. I emailed JWT about the heat soak problem and they said they have done hours and hours of extensive testing and the heat shield they designed is the best option and all you need. They said if they thought it would be better they would have done it themselves. Those guys have a rep for knowing their stuff right?

I looked on their site and all their featured cars are running Pops with their heat shield even on their track cars. I can't help but feel that if they gained better performance by changing the shield they would...
Old 08-28-2008, 05:13 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

From what i gather the OP just wants to shield it more for sitting in traffic. Something thats not really important for a car on the racetrack. Unless your in the beyond slow group.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:33 AM
t0mills

Originally Posted by terrasmak
From what i gather the OP just wants to shield it more for sitting in traffic. Something thats not really important for a car on the racetrack. Unless your in the beyond slow group.

That's correct. I'm sure that JWT did plenty of testing when they were designing this product, and it does work well, especially for the price.

So far, from my personal, non biased testing, I've found that:

(with added heatshield)

* When sitting around idling, the filter remains closer to ambient temps.

* After some spirited driving on a 60 degree night, the filter is right at ambient temps, and without the shield, it's ~10 degrees warmer than ambient.

I attribute this to the fact that without the added shield enclosing the filter area, the cold air that flows in, is drawn throughout the engine bay. The extra shield captures the cooler air as soon as it is drawn through the duct in the core support.

Engine compartment temps remain pretty high, but the air intake tube is cool all the way up to the throttle body. The plenum is cooler as well.

The added shield does alter the sound that is produced by the intake. Without the shield, the sound from the intake is allowed to resonate throughout the engine compartment, almost giving it a "shallow" or "hollow" sound. After installing the shield, the intake resonates inside of the "filter compartment" and produces a sound that is more "rich". It's hard to describe really, but it does sound similar to how an S2000 sounds at 8k. That could either be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on your taste.

That's really all that I've had time to find out. I am gradually getting caught up here at work (been working on a $50,000,000 design ) and once I get some free time, it will be going toward the R&D of this product.

I'll keep you updated.

-Tim
Old 08-28-2008, 05:42 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

With that said Tim , i'm just very interested in seeing if it helps at speed, when you do your data logging it will show if it helps under moving conditions. I feel that it may, and if it does , well i'll have to get one from you if you decide to make a batch.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Big Tav

Let us know
Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 AM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

t0mills do you have any more updated pics of the shield ? I would be more than happy to be a tester for you.

I have a CF hood with vents and was wondering if your shield would keep water from dripping down into the air filter ?
Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 PM
1QuickG35

Well regardless Tim, it sounds like a good idea, and can prove to be beneficial during daily driving.

Keep it coming!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:30 PM
neoveon

hey t0mills, just curious which company do you work for?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by t0mills
I'll be answering questions and posting updated pics by this weekend. I've been extremely busy with work, but I'm getting caught up.

I've not forgot about this.

Thanks for the interest!

Tim
bump
Old 09-30-2008, 12:43 PM
t0mills

Update:

I've got a revised design made and installed on my car. I've been driving around for a couple weeks with it, and it seems to be working very well. However, I've been working with Palmer Performance (makers of PCM Scan) to try and get their software working with my OBD2 interface and laptop. It's pretty hit and miss right now on the PIDs that it sees, however, it works fine on my truck (02 s10).

I'm currently investigating other means of logging the IAT sensor with the equipment that I already have. Here is a link to PCM Scan for anyone that is wondering:

http://www.palmerperformance.com/

I'd like to get Cipher, but I plan on purchasing Osiris soon, so buying Cipher right now would be a waste just to datalog the IAT.

If anyone has a suggestion for logging the temps, feel free to post it up.

-Tim
Old 09-30-2008, 01:04 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the guys at UPREV will allow you to add Osiris at a later date for the difference? This FAQs entry seems to make me think so:

Is there an upgrade route for current Cipher owners?
Yes, but your current Cipher cable will not function with Osiris. Contact us at info@uprev.com and we will walk you through the details.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:29 AM
leozim

updates. specially on the backside or the rear shield/ covering of the filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading Heat Shield for Popcharger