MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Intake Exhaust (https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust-334/)
-   -   z1 Plenum Spacer review (https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/409715-z1-plenum-spacer-review.html)

TTwinTTurbo 01-10-2009 05:22 PM

z1 Plenum Spacer review

As I said before I was going to review this product. It is the Z1 motorsports 5/16 angled plenum spacer. I like it a hundred percent. It gave me more power. It definitely increases how loud the engine and exhaust is and sounds very mean. I have borla true dual exhaust with a typhoon intake and now let me tell you...when I go through the gears its amazing. It pulls all the way until red line. I didn't notice it before but near red line with out the spacer the power sorta stayed constant...but now its increasing until then.

Only thing is when I first installed it, I had an issue where it was whistling when I revved and missing. I re-installed it again..thinking i put the spacer on wrong and its fixed..think i had the gaskets mis-aligned. Oh and when I first took off it was vibrating like crazy but I figure that thats because I didn't adjust the strut bar cuz it was touching the plenum.. So I took it off and am going to put it back on tomorrow since it is getting late.

So my only question is, Is it fine to drive without the front strut bar for a day?

WhiskeyHotel 01-10-2009 05:28 PM

Yes.

TTwinTTurbo 01-10-2009 06:05 PM

Wow I didn't notice it until I drove off..but my service engine soon light is on.. This was not on before I put the plenum spacer on. How do I get rid of this? I installed it the first time and it didn't seal right because the gaskets weren't aligned and it was hissing air so I reinstalled it, so i think it might have came on during this time. It drives fine..but If I'm sitting at idle for too long it almost sounds like it starts missing a little bit. What should I do?

craigo'sznprgrs 01-10-2009 06:06 PM

Go to autozone, pull the code, clear them at autozone, then post which codes they were.

TTwinTTurbo 01-10-2009 06:46 PM

I actually did the ecu reset method by gas pedal and the light went off. Which is wonderful. But I still have a problem. My idle seems fine for about 15-20 seconds..then it will dip to like 250-350 rpms and start feeling very weird. Its really irritating. I dont know what to do. I really have had a lot of problems with this mod now and wondering if anybody elses idle is f'd up because of a spacer

lbz 01-10-2009 06:49 PM

I put my MotorDyne Engineering 5/16 spacer in and never had a problem.

TTwinTTurbo 01-10-2009 06:53 PM

lol. Any help from anyone?

phunk 01-10-2009 07:02 PM

sounds like you messed up the install.

TTwinTTurbo 01-10-2009 07:38 PM

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...e-with-it.html

If you read through this thread..this is the same problems I am having.

SniperHunter 01-11-2009 10:48 AM

You probably have a leak somewhere. Make sure every bolt is tightened down to spec. If this persists, uninstall it and see what happens stock.

TTwinTTurbo 01-11-2009 01:07 PM

ya thats what I'm going to do. I borrowed the torque wrench from a friend so I gotta get it back from him. It's weird, doesnt do it with the ac on. Or heater. And only at idle for longer than 25 seconds when completely warmed up to operating temperature. I will do that though and post my results.

phunk 01-11-2009 02:11 PM

i doubt its the torque since doing it by hand you probably tightened them tighter then spec anyway. i have had my plenum on and off at least 10 times and never used a torque wrench... but then again im a mechanic so i spent a lot of my life tightening bolts lol.

go take a bunch of pictures of your install and post them up. get us good pics all around the throttle body area.

also, did you use the 6 spacers for the bolts that go in the middle of the plenum?

TTwinTTurbo 01-11-2009 05:31 PM

hey guys..Wow So it just randomly went away. I'm not sure what it was. I reset the ecu a couple times and now it idles perfectly for as long as I like right around 750 rpms. So ya if it comes back I will definetly take pics. So basically problem solved itself over time. I really wonder what it was. Maybe my ecu took more time to realize the space in between the plenum and adjust for it or something

SniperHunter 01-11-2009 09:50 PM

Which ECU reset procedure did you do? I've been trying to find the link to the list of manual resets and can't find it.

TTwinTTurbo 01-11-2009 10:13 PM

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/manual.pdf

Its at the bottom of the page. It is the gas pedal reset method. It clears the lights too.

XIceDragonX 01-12-2009 07:37 PM

I used to have that idle problem also... than I just drove it for a while and it learned itself out...

netdragoon 01-14-2009 07:50 AM

I noticed on one of my center bolts I had forgotten to put a rubberized o-ring on the front three bolts. It was pulling in air directly through the bolt holes. I fixed this and have had no issues.

You might check that to make sure if there are any leaks there.

Let it idle and spray a little wd40 or carb cleaner on the bolt holds. If it abnormally idles up, there is likely a leak on the bolt hole you sprayed on.

THe Emperor 01-14-2009 08:49 AM

So other than that is everyone happy with the spacer? I can't find much info or reviews on the z1 spacer at all. I'm very attracted to the price but I don't want any crazy idle problems.

TTwinTTurbo 01-14-2009 10:57 AM

No idle problems. Just give it a little time to adjust and it will be fine. I am very happy with the mod. I posted this thread originally

freedonutss 01-22-2009 04:48 PM

Just picked this spacer up along with a popcharger and wow it feels great. More power all the way through the powerband