Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stillen Gen 3 VS. Injen Long Tube Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:44 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

nice piks as always brandon. You're the reason i want RE11s lol but cant afford em
Old 07-29-2011, 01:05 PM
08sleeperz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon3434
08sleeperz, I have no idea what you're talking about, I have just about every bolt on possible and have tuned my car multiple times - I tuned it most recently just with the addition of my intakes and still made power consistently...you must be doing it wrong lol...
I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't tune my car. I go to a reputable tuner that is known for tuning Gs and Zs. Every time my tuner tried to mess with timing to make power the car started to miss-fire in the mid range. In the end I walked away with a gain of about 3whp up top but a loss of about 10 or so in the midrange (I forget the exact numbers). So I replaced my stock boxes and reflashed the car with my original tune and it is running great with my mid range power restored.

Originally Posted by musubi
Interesting info. So, are you saying that the stock air boxes have better airflow than the Stillen intake or that there were gains, but not enough to substantiate the cost of buying Stillen?
I am saying that I did not like the loss I had in the mid range only to make a few extra ponies up top. The tuner said that the Stillen intakes use smaller diameter tubing which could cause turbulence and therefore decreased power across the powerband.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM
moose350z

Who is the tuner that you go to? What makes your tuner reputable?
Do you have Osiris or something else?

What kind of dyno did you get tuned on?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:12 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by moose350z
Who is the tuner that you go to? What makes your tuner reputable?
Do you have Osiris or something else?

What kind of dyno did you get tuned on?
My tuner is R/T Tuning in Pa, very reputable and I am tuned with Osiris. I was tuned on the same dyno both times by the same guy (owner of shop/head tuner) in virtually same conditions. I don't know what I could have done wrong but all I know is after 2+ hours of tuning I lost major power in the mid-range and had only minimal gains up top. The tuners explanation was the small tubing or a misfire problem in the mid-range and being that my car only had ~20k on it at the time, the tuner dismissed that possibility. However, he did say he sees gains with the Injen setup. I am not sure of the size of that tubing but I'm guessing its bigger. I was shocked when I received my Stillens that the tubing diameter was smaller than stock but I thought I read enough reviews supporting them but apparently I was wrong.

I just realized you have the Injen setup. Are the intakes 3in diameter like the stock tubing? This could be why you are seeing gains. I know that people see gains with the Stillens on stock tuned cars but I read that could be caused by the leaned out A/F ratio. I can't imagine that I am the only person that had this outcome.

Last edited by 08sleeperz; 07-29-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:33 AM
PeterSellers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08sleeperz
My tuner is R/T Tuning in Pa, very reputable and I am tuned with Osiris. I was tuned on the same dyno both times by the same guy (owner of shop/head tuner) in virtually same conditions. I don't know what I could have done wrong but all I know is after 2+ hours of tuning I lost major power in the mid-range and had only minimal gains up top. The tuners explanation was the small tubing or a misfire problem in the mid-range and being that my car only had ~20k on it at the time, the tuner dismissed that possibility. However, he did say he sees gains with the Injen setup. I am not sure of the size of that tubing but I'm guessing its bigger. I was shocked when I received my Stillens that the tubing diameter was smaller than stock but I thought I read enough reviews supporting them but apparently I was wrong.

I just realized you have the Injen setup. Are the intakes 3in diameter like the stock tubing? This could be why you are seeing gains. I know that people see gains with the Stillens on stock tuned cars but I read that could be caused by the leaned out A/F ratio. I can't imagine that I am the only person that had this outcome.
Buy the injen and then get it re-dynoed (for everyone else's benefit)
Old 08-12-2011, 06:01 AM
CTZ860

I dont know why some of you are so surprised....if you look elsewhere you will see that sleeperz is not the only one that has experienced little to no gains with aftermarket intakes. I would love aftermarket intakes as it usually goes hand in hand with other mods of a car but after reading countless people say its not worth it ill stick with their word.
Good point on the diameter of the tubing though. I want to see more independant dynos by people with the injens.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 AM
brandon3434

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long tube intakes are different than "regular" aftermarket intakes for the HR 350z...The Stillens and the Injens are both dyno proven by both the companies, different companies, and plenty of forum members on here...BOTH of these SPECIFIC long tube intakes are dyno proven to make power AND torque. Not sure what the confusion is about. Maybe your tuner is doing something wrong, or maybe your z just sucks, who knows? But I made power with BOTH intakes when I had them, and others on here have as well...If you don't want the intakes, put the stock ones back on and call it a day, because someone is making power, otherwise they wouldn't be popular/sell.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Rubidium

Originally Posted by brandon3434
Long tube intakes are different than "regular" aftermarket intakes for the HR 350z...The Stillens and the Injens are both dyno proven by both the companies, different companies, and plenty of forum members on here...BOTH of these SPECIFIC long tube intakes are dyno proven to make power AND torque. Not sure what the confusion is about. Maybe your tuner is doing something wrong, or maybe your z just sucks, who knows? But I made power with BOTH intakes when I had them, and others on here have as well...If you don't want the intakes, put the stock ones back on and call it a day, because someone is making power, otherwise they wouldn't be popular/sell.
EXACTLY! I had these intakes along with pulley's and light weight flywheel and made a good 23 whp over base power (Stock exhasut), so you are correct in saying that most "regular" intakes do next to nothing, but these do pull air from outside the engine bay.... there is a difference.

So yes (CTZ860), keep believing the people who aren't showing you dyno results.....hard data is a lie I guess.

(side story, kinda relates)
I had a friend with an 06 with HKS Supercharger, he got a custom intake built and put the air intake outside the engine bay like these intakes and reduced his intake temps by 20 degree's and increased performance.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM
CTZ860

I agree that there is data out there but it seems like there is people selling these on a daily basis after having them for a short period of time.
Why so?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Rubidium

Originally Posted by CTZ860
I agree that there is data out there but it seems like there is people selling these on a daily basis after having them for a short period of time.
Why so?
Maintenance of the filter or moving on to a better overall product like FI or a new car.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:48 AM
brandon3434

Yea, or just selling because they would rather have $500 than some extra power...I sold my Stillens to get Injens, so yea who knows...lol
Old 08-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Neal516

I can tell you the biggest difference between these two intakes just by looking at the pictures.

If any of you tune your own car, and own one of Greg Banish's Book engine managment advanced tuning, you will find the answer in chapter 4.

many aftermarket companies sell MAF sensors, or adapters that reduce the area of the sensor exposed to the incoming air charge. If you notice, stillen's intakes have this design. The sensor misreads the incoming air, and the engine leans out the mixture, potentially making more power.

this discrepancy can be tuned out using the MAF transfer feature in many tuning softwares such as uprev which make the stillen design redundant once you flash tune your car

-----
at least this is what i think im my completely 100% non professional opinion lol

Last edited by Neal516; 08-15-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 AM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by Neal516
I can tell you the biggest difference between these two intakes just by looking at the pictures.

If any of you tune your own car, and own one of Greg Banish's Book engine managment advanced tuning, you will find the answer in chapter 4.

many aftermarket companies sell MAF sensors, or adapters that reduce the area of the sensor exposed to the incoming air charge. If you notice, stillen's intakes have this design. The sensor misreads the incoming air, and the engine leans out the mixture, potentially making more power.

this discrepancy can be tuned out using the MAF transfer feature in many tuning softwares such as uprev which make the stillen design redundant once you flash tune your car

-----
at least this is what i think im my completely 100% non professional opinion lol
Thanks for this input. Most of the "extreme" gains I've seen (yes I know ppl have reported gains) are on stock tune cars. The mixture is leaned out which will produce more power, however when the car is tuned and more fuel is thrown at it, this negates the original intended effects.

Originally Posted by Rubidium
EXACTLY! I had these intakes along with pulley's and light weight flywheel and made a good 23 whp over base power (Stock exhasut), so you are correct in saying that most "regular" intakes do next to nothing, but these do pull air from outside the engine bay.... there is a difference.

So yes (CTZ860), keep believing the people who aren't showing you dyno results.....hard data is a lie I guess.

(side story, kinda relates)
I had a friend with an 06 with HKS Supercharger, he got a custom intake built and put the air intake outside the engine bay like these intakes and reduced his intake temps by 20 degree's and increased performance.
Factory tuned? Get tuned with Uprev (with Stillens/Injens, then with stock boxes) and post your 20whp gain. I have hard proof if you would like me to upload my dyno sheet.

Originally Posted by PeterSellers
Buy the injen and then get it re-dynoed (for everyone else's benefit)
Send me a pair of the Injens and I will pay for the dyno.

Last edited by 08sleeperz; 08-17-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 PM
sunnyde

Default Injen on my SMB 350z situation

Sup homies, I got a killa deal on this Injen dual intakes for $330 shipped to me got it installed by a nissan techy for $140. Here some pics wish I took one when the bumper was off but it turned out great anyway.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM
B L U E S L A T E

Thanks to everyone in this thread who posted some photos of your Z with the Injen, I was able to modify the bracket to make them fit on my 07 G35 sedan. I'm glad to say that I was able to get away from buying Stillen crap. hahaha

Build quality and finish is far better than Stillen ones, and they look bitching. lol I just wish Injen relocated the MAF sensor adaptors on the back of the tube so the ugly harnesses were invisible from the top. :/

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the set! (My 4th set of intakes. lol)
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
HR.R-CING

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone have any dyno sheets of stock air box vs injen?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:34 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by 6spd_07ZHR
anyone have any dyno sheets of stock air box vs injen?
I do. I will be posting up my dyno sheet comparing Stillen, Injen and stock wtih k&n drop-ins. Everyone can thank me later
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Duckeee

In for dyno comparo. A roadster came in at work with the injens and I swapped them with my stock box for free.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 AM
boliviandaddy23

i just pulled the trigger on INJEN thanks to this
Old 04-07-2012, 11:45 AM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by boliviandaddy23
i just pulled the trigger on INJEN thanks to this
Good choice. I will post my dyno sheets ASAP

Quick Reply: Stillen Gen 3 VS. Injen Long Tube Intakes