MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Intake Exhaust (https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust-334/)
-   -   Berk Technology Test Pipes (https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/530312-berk-technology-test-pipes.html)

Pengu 07-23-2011 01:13 PM

Berk Technology Test Pipes

I ordered some Berk Test Pipes for my 2006 350Z from B2AutoDesigns which was GREAT to deal with. It shipped the next business day (Ordered Sunday) and they were VERY easy to contact. Also had free shipping. Will be doing business with them again, anyways upon opening the box Berk gives you brand new bolts, pipes, gaskets, and even a poster. Thanks Berk.

Upon installing it took me about 45 minutes to get 2 bolts off because my impact gun couldn't fit and I didn't have an extender. So I took it to Nissan at about 10:00 pm since my friend works there and used there bay along with there tools. Besides getting the rusted bolts, install was very very simple. I guess thats why they call it bolt ons. It took about 45 minutes to get the bolts off and about 20 minutes to put the new pipes, bolts, and o2 sensors on.

Test Pipe Review (Keep in mind I have a Borla Exhaust that came with the car):

The exhaust is much louder, sounds a lot deeper, and much more aggressive. Since the pipes aren't resonated it does have a decent bit of rasp, but it's not as bad as most people describe so far I don't regret it and the sound makes up for it. Acceleration seems like it is better then before. As far as horsepower gains I'd have no idea without a dyno. The only reason I got these was because of the price and the sound mostly.

Would I recommend these?

I'd say to anyone who doesn't mind some rasp, and a much louder, deeper sounding exhaust system. Yes.

Hope this helps people who are considering test pipes. I will upload a video once I find a good enough video camera for the sound.

Thanks for the read.

transZendent 07-23-2011 02:37 PM

thanks for sharing your experience! how much is the pipes? no CEL? share some video.

JaE35z 07-23-2011 02:40 PM

Thanks for this, been looking at these. In for vids

Pengu 07-23-2011 03:42 PM

Will try for a vid tonight, so far no CEL light within 60 miles, the pipes were about $170 so not bad at all in my opinion.

Bmurray350z 07-23-2011 08:40 PM

love my berks as well. running on stock exhaust and they sound good. but when i get my tanabe... :)

had them on for about 2-3k miles and no CEL so far as well.

Berk = Amazing

mike_eee 07-23-2011 11:43 PM

do they give rasp when used with HSK exhaust/hks clone etc?

albaugh81 07-24-2011 12:35 AM

I took mine out, CEL kept popping up even with the o2 fix. Not worth losing low end torque, no gaskets came with mine so I shopped for some @ www.courtesyparts.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr8_7...el_video_title

Bmurray350z 07-24-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by albaugh81 (Post 9275242)
I took mine out, CEL kept popping up even with the o2 fix. Not worth losing low end torque, no gaskets came with mine so I shopped for some @ www.courtesyparts.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr8_7...el_video_title

get a tune dummy if ya want ya torque :dunno:

enthusiazt 07-24-2011 03:41 PM

As soon as i installed my Berk test pipes on my 04 z, i noticed a severe rattle coming from the y-pipe on my invidia gemini exhaust when the rpms drop to around 2k rpms on decel or clutch disengagement. The car sounds good other wise; just wish i could stop the rattling!

Bmurray350z 07-24-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by enthusiazt (Post 9276047)
As soon as i installed my Berk test pipes on my 04 z, i noticed a severe rattle coming from the y-pipe on my invidia gemini exhaust when the rpms drop to around 2k rpms on decel or clutch disengagement. The car sounds good other wise; just wish i could stop the rattling!

you may be referring to the "hissing" noise that is talked about with most test pipes. if so, then yes my berks do the same thing. but it doesnt bother me.

Pablo631 07-24-2011 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z (Post 9276276)
you may be referring to the "hissing" noise that is talked about with most test pipes. if so, then yes my berks do the same thing. but it doesnt bother me.

:werd:....have had Berk test pipes on for about 10k miles and no CEL..they're legit lol

Bmurray350z 07-24-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pablo631 (Post 9276382)
:werd:....have had Berk test pipes on for about 10k miles and no CEL..they're legit lol

agreed :thumbup:

albaugh81 07-24-2011 07:48 PM

Get HFC don't waste ur time.

Bmurray350z 07-24-2011 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by albaugh81 (Post 9276454)
Get HFC don't waste ur time.

hm, so dont waste your time! waste your money! :suicide:

albaugh81 07-24-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z (Post 9276466)
hm, so dont waste your time! waste your money! :suicide:

Test pipes sold! :icon18: :suicide:

Bmurray350z 07-24-2011 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by albaugh81 (Post 9276483)
Test pipes sold! :icon18: :suicide:

:umad:

albaugh81 07-24-2011 08:07 PM

Sold them at the same place where you got ur headers from.

Bmurray350z 07-24-2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by albaugh81 (Post 9276489)
Sold them at the same place where you got ur headers from.

thats the way to do it! but when i said "waste your money" i was referring to:
spending $400+ on hfc's while you could spend $160ish and get test pipes, not to mention with a little more power gains.

enthusiazt 07-25-2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z (Post 9276276)

not so much a hissing noise. Its sounds like metal vibrating against metal. Its quite embarrasing.

Bmurray350z 07-25-2011 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by enthusiazt (Post 9278253)
not so much a hissing noise. Its sounds like metal vibrating against metal. Its quite embarrasing.

were definitely talking about 2 different noises, because it sounds nothing like metal hitting each other.

Pengu 07-25-2011 05:53 PM

I do get the hissing sound but they broke in a little and is not bad at all anymore I don't even hear it most of the time.

Enthusiazt my friends over at Nissan were telling me to make sure they when you tightened it to make sure it's not to close to some bracket or metal piece. I would lift your car and have a friend rev it while you look to see what's causing the rattling. Might be an easy fix.

Wired 24/7 07-25-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by enthusiazt (Post 9278253)

This sound is usually caused by cats or test pipes hitting the heat shields. Yes it sounds like sh1t and some exhaust parts are a lot worse than others.

Bmurray350z 07-25-2011 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7 (Post 9278315)
This sound is usually caused by cats or test pipes hitting the heat shields. Yes it sounds like sh1t and some exhaust parts are a lot worse than others.

the sound only happens when i let off the gas pedal? ditto?

enthusiazt 08-15-2011 06:56 PM

sorry for the late reply..the noise comes from the y pipe right between the test pipe and the flex joint on the y pipe. It hits the floor of the car. i removed the heat shields so i know it is not this.

hachansoo0413 10-12-2011 02:10 PM

I have Berk test pipes on my 05 Z.
There is also a weird sound like something sucking air or leaking air.
All the pipes are tighten up for sure. I guess it is the way it is.
Also, after like 1k mile, I got cel light.... hahahahahahahahaha
Where is the ~95% cel fix ?

YardieXplorer 02-05-2014 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pengu (Post 9278290)
I do get the hissing sound but they broke in a little and is not bad at all anymore I don't even hear it most of the time.

Enthusiazt my friends over at Nissan were telling me to make sure they when you tightened it to make sure it's not to close to some bracket or metal piece. I would lift your car and have a friend rev it while you look to see what's causing the rattling. Might be an easy fix.

I am in this dilemma also about getting test pipes over HFC's. Thinking I could snatch a deal on some used ones to avoid having to remove them for inspection.

P.S I see you are in VA..Im in Richmond man.

ChaseDiz 03-10-2014 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pengu (Post 9274564)
I ordered some Berk Test Pipes for my 2006 350Z from B2AutoDesigns which was GREAT to deal with. It shipped the next business day (Ordered Sunday) and they were VERY easy to contact. Also had free shipping. Will be doing business with them again, anyways upon opening the box Berk gives you brand new bolts, pipes, gaskets, and even a poster. Thanks Berk.

Upon installing it took me about 45 minutes to get 2 bolts off because my impact gun couldn't fit and I didn't have an extender. So I took it to Nissan at about 10:00 pm since my friend works there and used there bay along with there tools. Besides getting the rusted bolts, install was very very simple. I guess thats why they call it bolt ons. It took about 45 minutes to get the bolts off and about 20 minutes to put the new pipes, bolts, and o2 sensors on.

Test Pipe Review (Keep in mind I have a Borla Exhaust that came with the car):

The exhaust is much louder, sounds a lot deeper, and much more aggressive. Since the pipes aren't resonated it does have a decent bit of rasp, but it's not as bad as most people describe so far I don't regret it and the sound makes up for it. Acceleration seems like it is better then before. As far as horsepower gains I'd have no idea without a dyno. The only reason I got these was because of the price and the sound mostly.

Would I recommend these?

I'd say to anyone who doesn't mind some rasp, and a much louder, deeper sounding exhaust system. Yes.

Hope this helps people who are considering test pipes. I will upload a video once I find a good enough video camera for the sound.

Thanks for the read.

Would these fit a 03 350z also cause everywhere I look it ways 07 and up??

RedBullRR 06-25-2014 07:54 AM

Just got my TopSpeed Resonated Test pipes installed. I have a Borla True Dual. The sound was a lil to stock so I wanted a little more. So far I love the sound, however I have this nasty metallic rattle rite where the H pipe is. It sounds like metal on metal only when decelerating. I told the shop when i picked up the car and he tells me this is rasp. NO FN way this is rasp man. This sounds like metal on Metal. Its consistent, and may cause me to remove the pipes all together.

ksuberk54 06-25-2014 08:54 AM

It might just be your exhaust or test pipes hitting your undershield under the car.

FormulaET 04-07-2016 11:27 AM

Berk thumbs up!

I got test pipes professionally installed today. Fair price and quality workmanship.
No, zip, none CEL upon firing it up. I have original Y pipe but had resonator cut out and straight piped to a dual out Flowmaster with stock tips. The car is a lot louder, aggressive and thunderous. Definitely a head turner!! Great addition to the following:
Flowmaster
Motordyne 5/16" plenum spacer
NWP 75mm bore throttle body
K & N Air charger/cold air intake.
Uprev tune is next on the list.
The Berk Test Pipe w/CEL fix is what I highly recommend. Also, If you're not keen on working on exhaust, buy the pipes and have them professionally installed

ARRRT 04-08-2016 01:23 PM

Haven't had the CEL for two or three weeks after Berk TPs install but then one day BUMP! and CEL is back) eventually got rid of TPs because of ugly exhaust smell)))
otherways Berks were great - very well engeneered and built product!

Justin100 04-08-2016 10:43 PM

i use to have test pipes and straight pipes......it sounded ok......

but now since i am twin turbo with a bee r 2 step rev limiter......my car sounds like this.......start at 1:07

I wont ever be able to go back to my old exhaust setup lol...a little rich tune goes a long way.....

>=)

FormulaET 04-09-2016 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by ARRRT (Post 10746289)
Haven't had the CEL for two or three weeks after Berk TPs install but then one day BUMP! and CEL is back) eventually got rid of TPs because of ugly exhaust smell)))
otherways Berks were great - very well engeneered and built product!

personally I like the odor.. hehe. Hopefully I can get sensors tuned out down the road. BTW is the Y pipe (stock) constrictive? Might I consider replacement?

ARRRT 04-13-2016 11:08 AM

:thumbup:
You may consider to change your y-pipe if you would like to increase your exhaust flow. Stock y-pipe is known to be restrictive.

Noor93y 04-16-2016 07:45 AM

Ive had these for years and took them back off the car so i think i can describe them pretty well. I put them on at the same time as a catback back in 2012 and the car was just loud and it felt like it was a bit faster. The only problem was that i got a CEL but i was not tuned at that point. I took them off later cuz wasnt driving the car as much and it needed to pass inspection and holy **** did it quiet it down, I even felt like it was a little bit dronier. after 4500 rpm felt like there was something missing so it was then that i realized the difference was huge with and without them. The rasp was gone it never sounded like it was screaming anymore 2006 rev up btw. I would much rather keep them on but inspections are a thing.
On an unrelated note i was wondering if HFC will give me the same kind of performance and sound gains or at least similar?

FormulaET 04-16-2016 12:35 PM

Test pipe Head

Originally Posted by Noor93y (Post 10749360)
Ive had these for years and took them back off the car so i think i can describe them pretty well. I put them on at the same time as a catback back in 2012 and the car was just loud and it felt like it was a bit faster. The only problem was that i got a CEL but i was not tuned at that point. I took them off later cuz wasnt driving the car as much and it needed to pass inspection and holy **** did it quiet it down, I even felt like it was a little bit dronier. after 4500 rpm felt like there was something missing so it was then that i realized the difference was huge with and without them. The rasp was gone it never sounded like it was screaming anymore 2006 rev up btw. I would much rather keep them on but inspections are a thing.
On an unrelated note i was wondering if HFC will give me the same kind of performance and sound gains or at least similar?

I still have to get mine (2004) Z tuned, but still haven't had CEL light.... yet. Fortunately, in my region they did away with emissions testing. The longer they've been on, the warmer the sound is. Only when I really put my foot in it does it start the rasp-scream. My friends all compliment the race car like sound it has. The Flowmasters are nasty loud regardless.

FormulaET 04-17-2016 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by ARRRT (Post 10748108)
:thumbup:
You may consider to change your y-pipe if you would like to increase your exhaust flow. Stock y-pipe is known to be restrictive.

Thanx AART, do you recommend any make in particular? The Megan seems cheapest, although I like the reviews of the AAM..

ARRRT 04-18-2016 01:33 PM

sorry, no personal experience - still running oem y-pipe:dunno:
anyways, there are tones of useful info on this topic here on my350z
good luck:thumbup:

FormulaET 07-22-2016 04:40 AM

Well got everything completed. Got Megan Y pipe installed, had to replace muffler due to a baffle breaking loose. I switched to a Magnaflow muffler that's less offensive sounding. Finally, I went to Dynosty and had it dyno tuned. The result is a fair 256whp. Not shabby for a naturally aspirated setup.

ARRRT 07-23-2016 11:20 PM

Wow! Great numbers, Formula!
Enjoy)))