MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Intake Exhaust (https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust-334/)
-   -   Custom Exhaust question. (https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/553519-custom-exhaust-question.html)

casper151291 04-17-2012 05:47 PM

Custom Exhaust question.

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to get a custom exhaust that sounds deep and loud but doesn't have any rasp in it. So I went to rainbow mufflers and they told me about the following setup:

2.5" width piping true dual exhaust with an H pipe and 2 Pro XS Borla mufflers. I would like some opinions on this and its costing me about $450. Please don't flame this post, because I have done a lot of research the past week and just want to get some opinions from people. Also, I was wondering if I should put a magnaflow resonator or not.
Thank you.

SLIdEwAyZ25 04-17-2012 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by casper151291 (Post 9701632)
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to get a custom exhaust that sounds deep and loud but doesn't have any rasp in it. So I went to rainbow mufflers and they told me about the following setup:

2.5" width piping true dual exhaust with an H pipe and 2 Pro XS Borla mufflers. I would like some opinions on this and its costing me about $450. Please don't flame this post, because I have done a lot of research the past week and just want to get some opinions from people. Also, I was wondering if I should put a magnaflow resonator or not.
Thank you.

lol we live like 30 mins apart ;) rainbow did some pretty good work for me i don;t think they mandrel bend their pipes which isnt good for power but since the z exhaust doesnt have any drastic turns it cant be to bad.

450 seems like a good deal for a custom set up but about the rasp i couldnt tell you. it seems to me like the pipes they use are pretty thin and would be a little bit more pingy then a stainless steel version.

but i have no idea how steel vibrates lol

casper151291 04-17-2012 05:56 PM

Thank you very much for your help, also, I believe they are using stainless steel for mine but I'll have to double check that

TheWan 04-17-2012 10:01 PM

I own retail Borla TD exhaust which has 2.25" width piping with H pipe (really similar to your design) and it's made out of Stainless Steel

It doesn't have ANY rasp, but it has tiny tiny bit of drone around 2000 rpm. and the H pipe COULD have the infamous "H pipe flutter". I know I do...

idk if .25" will make a big difference, but the Borla set up is probably one of the quiet and most livable set up you can have.. just thought I'd share my experience with Borla.

davidv 04-17-2012 11:07 PM

EDIT: Its a cool idea if you do it. If not then this is just another pie-in-the-sky gonnaget threard.

terrasmak 04-18-2012 01:02 AM

If your going that direction order an X pipe and you will probably want a resonator in the system.

Best bet, just buy a pre-fabbed system.

F2CMaDMaXX 04-18-2012 10:52 AM

The stock system is crush bent, why would you get a custom crush bent exhaust...?

Borla usually make nice low note mufflers though.

And, the y-pipe has quite the bends in it to matter about crush bending.

casper151291 04-18-2012 10:16 PM

ahh I'm so confused and can't make a decision anymore... Many people say I should get an X pipe instead and so on... I think I'm just going to save up for a stillen true dual and get it over with... At least it would guarantee the performance gain.

Jairen 04-19-2012 12:17 AM

I would just buy that used Motordyne that is in the classifieds. :)