Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Is 50 hp really that noticeable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

I will be honest, with the 272 degree cams I had, I was left wishing I went with smaller cams to get some of that low end back
Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 PM
realist alive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did these to my 03: test pipes $150, ARK Grip V2 Dual Exhaust $1000, plenum spacer $150, and pop charger $100. I am currently saving for uprev tune.

So what did I gain from all this... A slightly more responsive car, a quality growl from the exhaust, a cool sounding whistle from the intake, and that is it. Dont do this because you want a faster car, do it because modding your car is a hobby/ something you really want to do. If you are searching for lots of power you wont find it in a NA Z.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 PM
juicinjake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Classy
to answer these 2 things...

a manual 350z has a CF driveshaft from the factory
smh and lmao... yea i know this. i forget which forum im on sometimes. im so used to working with the g car. whats your take on the gears though?

also, what cams did you go with that you thought might have been too big? which cams do you wish you had gone with instead? im really eager to get input from people who have done the cams swaps on these cars. ive done a lot of cams in v8's but there is a lot more information and a lot more people that have done it in those communities. there arent a whole hell of a lot of people with cams in comparison. at first i was thinking something like a 272 duration cam and now im thinking more like a 264. what do u think?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Za33cK

Originally Posted by realist alive
I just did these to my 03: test pipes $150, ARK Grip V2 Dual Exhaust $1000, plenum spacer $150, and pop charger $100. I am currently saving for uprev tune.

So what did I gain from all this... A slightly more responsive car, a quality growl from the exhaust, a cool sounding whistle from the intake, and that is it. Dont do this because you want a faster car, do it because modding your car is a hobby/ something you really want to do. If you are searching for lots of power you wont find it in a NA Z.
Yeah i like this response as that is exactly what i was looking to do, nothing to crazy maybe a few more bolt-ons, but thats it. and no this isnt really a hobby for me, the car is bada$$ and all but theres only so much you can do before you ask yourself, is this 10 grand i threw into my car worth it or should i have gotten another car. if you didnt notice much gain with these mods and that $1500 price tag theres not that much more that i wanted to add on to the car, now if you're answer was yeah my launch is CRAZY fast now!! then maybe i would look into doing all these mods and spending the money, but im glad i got some of you honest dudes to help me decide, for sure i am doing the exhaust, and i figured since thats getting done i might as well have the headers done with it.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if your looking for "feel a difference" dont do cams its going to right shift your power band and for a daily its going to feel slower down low.

you might be able to buy a 06 vette but its not going to be nearly as fast. cost of car plus mods i have 36k invested now(around or mayby slightly more then a 06 will cost you depending on price and cheaper then a z06 by a couple grand.) and will destroy even a z06 even on 20 lbs of boost. my stuff might be a little extreme but theres no reason you cant build a reliable daily. i daily mine because our focus is dirt slow and only have minor issues my biggest one fouling plugs, but i also built it for ~32 psi boost not the 20 its at gotta put the new clutch in. i drive it putting around town and wide open regularly and beat the crap out of it, about 2500 miles on it now which isnt alot but more then alot of vehicles out there just get a reputable shop to build it loose.(shamless plug for dynosty they have been nothing but helpful)'

if you learn to do it yourself(its really not hard just measuring.) you can get a built shortblock for not a huge price. for bc valve springs and retainers, used pauter rods, wossner pistons(more expensive then cp), rev up oil pump, billet girdle, dynosty head gasket, arp main studs and l19 head studs, gasket rebuild kit, fluidamper pulley, and machining(1k just by itself although they did stuff i dint want it should have been about 700) ive got about 5000 into it just watch the market place for deals. can go cp pistons and eagle rods and knock 500 bucks off that price right there. im still rocking a 03 original trans with 110k miles on it no major issues once the clutch pedal assembly was replaced with the rjm unit.(thinking it wasnt quite adjusted right when i bought it.)

Originally Posted by Za33cK
Thanks for the responses, I would never do nitrious, like I said its a daily driver, back in highschool I took a few auto tech classes and as the years went on I got into an auto shop, but just did oil changes, alignments and such, I do know I could do most bolt on mods, expect exhaust and all, as far as the cam goes, it sounds interesting any more info on this? yeah 50 hp is hard to obtain, and at rwhp it would be less, like I said I got some cash to spend but I feel slapping on a supercharger or turbo and being an everyday driver might not be the smartest idea understand that it becomes a norm after doing the mods and people get use to them overtime they and want more and more power, I on the other hand am not ganna drop 10 grand into my car seeing I could own a 06 vette or something by the time I would be done with my all my mods, if I can get the 30rwhp with the mods stated from you guys above, and if its worth it("noticeable" me being happy with that power gain) for 3 grand or around that then yeah I will look into getting the parts and such, if many of u took this same path and are not satisfied then eff it, ill save the money

Last edited by jerryd87; 09-27-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:44 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

If you really desire power, don't mod, save up, get another car. Mods are expensive & you seldom get your money back out of them.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 PM
HenryLee

^+1 this!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 PM
bigbirdmodeZ

Originally Posted by zland
If you really desire power, don't mod, save up, get another car. Mods are expensive & you seldom get your money back out of them.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 PM
jninja26

Originally Posted by j3tt2
50 whp is possible with full bolt-ons AND a tune! You get headers, plenum spacer, intake, test pipes/HFCs, true duel exhaust, and either find a COBB tuner for sale or an Osiris tuner and you'll be at about 300 to the wheels
Not true....unless you use a dynohub
Originally Posted by Bret86944
Have you modded a car before?

The typical timeline for modding cars is:

1. buy stock car
2. mod car
3. be dissapointed with hp gain, notice exhaust leaks, idling problems, crappy gas mileage
3. sell car
If you have problem 3 then your cheap and your installer sucks.

Originally Posted by bmccann101
Cobb doesnt sell it anymore, i can attest that they certainly do support.. email steve at cobb, hes awesome. It was a sales issue.. they had to manufacture hardware, whereas Osiris was a flash and cable, they got killed. All the maps are available, they will answer questions, they jsut dont sell it anymore.

Cobb is a great idea for newbs, and can support limited dyno tuning later on w custom maps.. ask me how I know all this lol. Best mod i EVER did.

Id never put a single bolt on part any car again thats running OBDII without some sort or reflash system w new affr and timing targets, period.

Completely pointless until you remap and or tune.
Couldn't be MORE TRUE. Good call

Originally Posted by Classy
Aside from what everyone else here has said, I think a good route to go, would be your basic bolt ons and a tune, headers, exhaust, plenum spacer, and a LSD and some 3.9 or 4.08 gears would really liven up your car.
Shorter gears is cool if your racing....or don't know how to shift....or like bad gas mileage.

Originally Posted by Duckeee
everyone needs boost in their life.
True story.

Depends what the word "power" means.

Originally Posted by bigbirdmodeZ
Word.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

Ask me if I have a 350Z still, haha
Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 AM
RDZMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by El Verdugo
All bolt-on and tune will not yield 50whp, put in there a 75shot and then we are talking.
Unsure of who you have dealt with but I can put my life on doing PPE LTH MREV2 lower w 5/16's spacer,exhaust and tune will yield 50 or damn near 50hp.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:13 AM
TheWoods

Originally Posted by Bret86944
Have you modded a car before?

The typical timeline for modding cars is:

1. buy stock car
2. mod car
3. be dissapointed with hp gain, notice exhaust leaks, idling problems, crappy gas mileage
3. sell car
Pessimistic much?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

like others have said only on a hub dyno that isnt calculating in wheel weight as parasitic loss, even then very very iffy the de has shown that it is very unresponsive to na mods especially since many who have commented have tried similar routes. sure the lth will get more then shorty's but not that much more, if you want 50 hp na to the wheels without touching cams the only choice is a GOOD exhuast, ITB's, lightweight pulleys(have fun destroying your bearings), lightweight flywheel, tune, long tube headers, some light as **** wheels(better look at 17 or 18 inch volks) and then you will probably have it, unless you wanna go on a shitty over rated dyno just to hit a number.

in the end though all your going to have is a car with alot invested and slow as **** still. this is 2012 not 1980, 13's is slow way to many cars do that from the factory and daily driver's hitting 9's is what is considered fast now heck theres even a couple starting to dip into the 8's
Originally Posted by RDZMotorsports
Unsure of who you have dealt with but I can put my life on doing PPE LTH MREV2 lower w 5/16's spacer,exhaust and tune will yield 50 or damn near 50hp.

Last edited by jerryd87; 09-28-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 AM
JCITY
Banned

First,you are not gonna get 50whp from the bolt ons you mentioned.
In addition,you have a very good question,noticeable power gain vs investment.
I've got a O3 Touring also.I have a 50 hp increase over stock.Noticeable?You are not going to get the tire-smoking performance from this gain.The car will be much more responsive.It will feel "lighter" when you accelerate.Is a 2-3k + investment worth this?
Many of us think so because its our hobby,our passion.If you want some power in the 100hp gain category,FI is the answer.If your concern is how FI will effect your engine--wear&tear,if you will,a supercharger is the safest way (and cheapest)to get the pin your back in the seat power.But again,the cost...5-6K on the low side.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:01 PM
jninja26

Your life huh?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by j3tt2
50 whp is possible with full bolt-ons AND a tune! You get headers, plenum spacer, intake, test pipes/HFCs, true duel exhaust, and either find a COBB tuner for sale or an Osiris tuner and you'll be at about 300 to the wheels, my 03 with everything listed above (COBB tuner) without headers dynoed at 278rwhp. The tuner is the key. Stock the car is at 287bhp take around 10-15% off to the crank and that's at around 240whp, so I'm up 38whp(appoximate) and its noticeable. Not as much as FI but for sure noticeable.

I had headers, crank pulley, crawford plenum, test pipes, greddy true duals, CAI, technosquare reflash and my car made an extra 26 whp.... either my car sucks and yours is a factory freak, or your dyno is a bit optimistic. Did you ever do a baseline? mine made 230 baseline and 256 after all the boltons.

to the OP, obviously the above results were disappointing. measure your gains in 100+ whp and boost it if you want power
Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

NOT A F^CKING CHANCE
Old 09-28-2012, 12:25 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I made 50 more whp at redline with SG headers vs Megan racing LTHs, but you won't make 50whp without cams. It'll be close, though.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:42 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

on older DEs

Yes, going from 230 to 270 has been done with just bolt-ons
Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 PM
j3tt2

Originally Posted by Shin Beats
What kind of dyno was this on?
Dyno dynamics? Honestly I don't know much about dynos, but that's what the computer had on the screen.... Ill try to upload a pic but on my phone right meow so I can't. The picture I have is kind of blurry but I was a little off, it says 275.2hp

Quick Reply: Is 50 hp really that noticeable?