Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Resonators Broken Baffle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:15 AM
Joe clan

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Resonators Broken Baffle?

I am new to the this forum but not to rebuilding and working on cars. I have recently had a sound coming from under the car. it is a higher pitch metallic sound. To me it sounds like a ball bearing or piece of metal inside the resonator bouncing around. This sound is there when cold or hot, when at idle and at down rev,
in or out of gear, clutch in or out. do not hear it when accelerating.

Car has HKS or knock of HKS cat-back system.

I jacked the car up and started the car to hear noise. Took a screw driver and put it up to ear and touched the other end to all parts under the car, to hear the noise. I found it coming from the two center sections (resonators).

Before someone post, no it is not the throw-out barring.

Has anyone had this issue and been able to fit it? Should I take it apart and shake it out to see if I can get something that might be making the noise out? Wanted to check and see if anyone had advice before I start taking **** apart. Has anyone had a baffle brake inside the resonator?

Guess the last resort would be replace them, any ideas on what type of replacement or replace with just straight pipes (delete the resonators).

Below is my other toy that I did a ground up restoration on.

Last edited by Joe clan; 11-25-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:22 AM
Joe clan

Forgot to add its a 2008 with 77K miles. I did not do the exhaust on it. It doesn't have high flow-cats on it and this is the only mod to the car.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:41 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe clan
I am new to the this forum but not to rebuilding and working on cars. I have recently had a sound coming from under the car. it is a higher pitch metallic sound. To me it sounds like a ball bearing or piece of metal inside the resonator bouncing around. This sound is there when cold or hot, when at idle and at down rev,
in or out of gear, clutch in or out. do not hear it when accelerating.

Car has HKS or knock of HKS cat-back system.

I jacked the car up and started the car to hear noise. Took a screw driver and put it up to ear and touched the other end to all parts under the car, to hear the noise. I found it coming from the two center sections (resonators).

Before someone post, no it is not the throw-out barring.

Has anyone had this issue and been able to fit it? Should I take it apart and shake it out to see if I can get something that might be making the noise out? Wanted to check and see if anyone had advice before I start taking **** apart. Has anyone had a baffle brake inside the resonator?

Guess the last resort would be replace them, any ideas on what type of replacement or replace with just straight pipes (delete the resonators).

Below is my other toy that I did a ground up restoration on.

Most excellent Camaro! Road race/Trans Am style.... much better than the typical street/drag set up! I can see Roger Penske giving you a thumbs up.

On your rattling/buzzing exhaust. Entirely possible to have a loose or broken baffle which is causing the rattling sound, particularly given the circumstances you described.... WOT or under acceleration probably "nails" the loose or broken piece to another component so it's not able to move/vibrate under those conditions.

If it's possible to remove the resonators, sure, it's worth a try to see if you can nail down the issue (no pun intended) but I'm believing that a loose baffle (as opposed to one completely broken off) isn't going to be an easy or cost effective fix since it's internal.

Good news is that if the rest of the system is still intact, there's good fixes available.... Try here: http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...Path=1022_1033

Cut out the old, weld in the new, done.

Good luck..... I hate niggly, stupid, hard-to-find problems like this. I'll take a thrown rod any day. At least that's obvious..... (Knocks wood just in case. )
Old 11-25-2015, 08:02 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

X pipe mod is very popular , helps out a lot of replica and real HKS systems
Old 11-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Joe clan

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Cutting out and replacing was what I was thinking. I cannot really hear the noise when I put my ear up to the exhaust in the back so it must be towards the front of the resonators.

Has anyone cut them out and went straight pipe? Would this cause lower back pressure and cause backfires?

Went to a small muffler shop in town, they wanted 60$ to cut out and put in straight pipe. I was about to pull the trigger, then thought of back pressure and back fire issues. thought I would ask first before spending money on this with a worse end result.

Also, would any replacement work, IE. one that a muffler shop has on hand. Or should I order one. This is my daily driver and not really caring about performance, well not yet.

Last edited by Joe clan; 11-25-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:41 AM
Joe clan

I has a H pipe, would a X really make a difference?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:10 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Cutting out and replacing was what I was thinking. I cannot really hear the noise when I put my ear up to the exhaust in the back so it must be towards the front of the resonators.

Has anyone cut them out and went straight pipe? Would this cause lower back pressure and cause backfires?

Went to a small muffler shop in town, they wanted 60$ to cut out and put in straight pipe. I was about to pull the trigger, then thought of back pressure and back fire issues. thought I would ask first before spending money on this with a worse end result.

Also, would any replacement work, IE. one that a muffler shop has on hand. Or should I order one. This is my daily driver and not really caring about performance, well not yet.
I has a H pipe, would a X really make a difference?
Couple things here....

If you go straight pipe, you're opening yourself (and your exhaust ha ha) to other potential issues - maybe, maybe not, depends on the system - there's rasp, that horrid metallic, pingy sound on decel and rev-down, and then there's drone, that equally horrible "sound/feeling/noise" at particular rpms that just gets inside you and sits there like a bad burrito (or won ton, take your choice if you're offended. )

$60 though.... ehhhh, worth a shot. If it fixes the issue and you can live with the extra noise, that's up to you.

As far as replacements.... well, again, that's your choice. If you don't care what they put on then go with the no-name whatever. Me personally, I'd install the Vibrant - known for the performance usage and if it matters, good sound. But that's my $.02.

H-pipe versus X-pipe.... if you already have an H pipe, don't bother. X-pipe does test better but it's only marginally better improvement over an H and not worth extra money given you already have a crossover, albeit not quite as efficient as an X. Make sense?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Joe clan

Thanks. I am just going to see what the shop has or maybe stop by a performance shop and see what I can get. as for X pipe, I have one on my Camaro, but like you said no really performance difference. Not like you are really gaining any hp or torque from this. Just a different form of H pipe.

As for sound, Don't really care if it makes it louder or quieter. Just want that noise gone. Nothing like having a nice looking car that sounds like ****. Well not **** but like something is leaking or wrong. LOL

I need to tackle the trunk rattle next, read a lot about tower strut bushings replacement clears it up. But I have read many other post that state other parts rattling. Need to have my wife drive around with me in the trunk and find the source. Any input? Over bumps is when it makes the noise. Will not make it at high speed, 50- 80 MPH but 05-40 MPH it will make the noise.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:47 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Some people take out the resonators and h pipe and have one of these welded in their.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000XQ...gKL&ref=plSrch

Might make it sound better, I think you will be hating life if you just straight pipe that bad boy.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:31 AM
Joe clan

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Some people take out the resonators and h pipe and have one of these welded in their.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000XQ...gKL&ref=plSrch

Might make it sound better, I think you will be hating life if you just straight pipe that bad boy.
Thanks. Will mess with it after the holidays.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Joe clan

How bad is the rasp sound? anyone have a video clip of the difference?
Old 12-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Joe clan

So, straight piped it and the sound is still there. It is a true HKS exhaust, could the cats be the issue????