Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

3", 3.5", & 4" intakes

Old 02-26-2018, 08:26 PM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

So, after Renfro's engine bay pic, I decided to try the 3'' intake duct with my setup. I'm running JWT filter w/ V stack, 3.5'' intake, 75mm tb, modded upper plenum(larger neck/less bend), 1/2'' spacer, mrev2, for my intake setup. Using Uprev, I was about +10 ambient temp with no duct. With the duct it was about +6; however, the intake temp went down much quicker and it eliminated the higher intake temp spikes I got from a stop.

From 0-50(normal driving) and then continuing at that speed, it took 39 seconds from 106F-93F with the duct. Without the duct it took 2 minutes 15 seconds.

16 bucks well spent.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Nice!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:46 PM
milenkogt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not VQ related, but on the Titan VK56 platforms we've been using 4" intakes with stock throttle body (same diameter as VQ35DE) and picking up 10-15rwhp peak, and 25rwtq through the curve.

Also using 90mm LS2 and LS3 (brass blade) throttle bodies with these intakes as well. Still going through stock 75mm manifold neck (inlet). Been doing this since 2006. Not apples to apples however, but the principal still applies the same.

Factory intakes are 3" ID.

Sometimes you have to skip over what can theoretically work or not on paper, and just test a product to gain empirical data.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:03 PM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

"Sometimes you have to skip over what can theoretically work or not on paper, and just test a product to gain empirical data."

I concur.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:12 PM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I'll be getting a retune for a 75 whp shot and e85 in the coming months, I'm thinking of trying a 4 inch intake from LMT, hoping to pick up a few more hp, along with everything. I'll see about getting a 3.5'' vs 4'' comparison while on the dyno.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:02 PM
onevq35de

Originally Posted by RENFRO
Here's my setup.

Interesting intake manifold choice. This is the only plenum, the Velocity, that Admin Tuning suggests NOT to use. Huh.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:25 PM
DarkZ03

Lol, that's a general consensus. Many people have dynos showing gains on it, I have it, can't feel any power loss. Looks much better and it's easy AF to take it off when needed. I don't know how much I'd listen to a company, that claims they have the best product, IMO the "best intake" is no intake... ITBs is the only way to get any true gains NA.

Last edited by DarkZ03; 03-09-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:28 PM
onevq35de

No, no general consensus.
""" Our testing has shown to add up to 16whp and 20wtq PEAK on top of tuned combinations with aftermarket intakes, with gains across the RPM range on a STOCK intake manifold with spacer (NO Kinetix)."""
Direct quote, straight from the horses mouth or in other words, Admin Tuning's website, and no, AT isn't referring to the V plenum.
Don't mean to **** on mr. renfro's parade. I'd love to use the Velocity but it's a looser compared to most other options naturally aspirated.
We're also looking at a dynojet chart here. It's 10% overzealous. I'd love it if this were the Velocity on a mustang dyno. I'd buy one tomorrow.

Last edited by onevq35de; 03-09-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:34 PM
DarkZ03

That is their info on their intake though, I want to see a stock vs kinetix or spacer vs kinetix. There are multiple threads here with people either gaining or losing power with the velocity manifold, it varies from setup to setup. Like I said, the most gains will be from ITBs if you want to stay NA, there is no reason to keep the stock configuration If you are going for MAX power.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:42 PM
DarkZ03

BTW it's not weather or not that intake works or changes the characteristics of the velocity, that's precisely the thing with that manifold the only way to know if it will work for you, is to try it out yourself. It's up to you weather it's worth gambling with that kinda cash.

Last edited by DarkZ03; 03-09-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:51 PM
onevq35de

Don't mean to sound like a diiiiiiick, but....the title of this thread is " 3", 3.5", & 4" intakes".
Your want ITB's, start a thread on those.
My reply was regarding renfro's setup and that Admin's only no-no is this particular Velocity plenum. Your bouncing around on me Dark.
ITB's are cool but a huge expense and not even close to pulling their weight (cost). The velocity, like the cosworth are great intakes for sure but if you're n.a., they're proven to be losers. Check out 2bad240's naturally aspirated record braking 1/4 mile setup. That is where it's at, all ******** aside. Dude did his homework.

Last edited by onevq35de; 03-09-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:51 PM
DarkZ03

No offense taken, the ITB thing was a reference to the best intake mentality, but out of curiosity show me where they said specifically not to use the velocity? There have been equally as much proven threads of the manifold gaining power, so to say it's a proven loser is a generic term. The tricky thing with NA is every application will be different, and some will lose while others will not. There are way too many variables when it comes to NA, which is why most just go FI, which is likely the route I will take eventually lol.

Last edited by DarkZ03; 03-09-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:18 PM
onevq35de

Read under "description".
http://www.administrationtuning.com/...DE-p/mafde.htm

It's harsh to say it's a proven loser and by loser I mean of power. I'm not trying to bully it and hurt the poor Velocity's feelings or anything. I cannot say I've ever read anyone making usable power with the Velocity or the Cosworth while naturally aspirated. The Cosworth is of no interest to me whatsoever but I've always liked the Velocity.
I have the V plenum which I bored to match my 75mm t.b.. Bored the adapter plate as well, removing the taper. I motordyned my lower plenum and also removed a lot of material inside the neck of the V plenum, opening up the biggest restriction, being this neck. It's nice that there's so much material available to remove. HUGE difference.
I have yet to find anything tricky about making power naturally aspirated. Haven't done a thing yet that hasn't made my fat assed AWD FX accelerate faster, but I am starting to run out of tricks pre-n2o.

Last edited by onevq35de; 03-09-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:59 AM
onevq35de

I think (don't know) the velocity stack setup and removing length from the pipe made up for what would've been a minor loss from the Kinetix, especially loss of torque. Admin Tuning must have a good reason to exclude this and only this manifold and I doubt they just said, "ah, f it", and guessed, naa meeee.
Maybe all this talk will get Renfro or someone else to test between stock with spacer and this manifold. Maybe the Kinetix comes alive when accompanied by a large intake AND velocity stack.
IMO, the hot setup would be to enlarge and reverse the direction of the plenum neck to face the passenger side. Reduce the angle of the t.b. plate so that it's facing the battery box. Relocate the battery to pass side trunk.
Cut a hole in the battery box large enough to accommodate the diameter of the intake pipe. Line the edge of said hole with a grommet to provide an air tight seal. Get as big a filter as you can fit and shove it in there with a v-stack if it'll fit.
Get some ABS plastic and make a new tray or cowl where the windshield wipers rest on the passenger side. Make it so air will be drawn in only from this area. Cowl induction.
Now you've got great access to ambient air and as short an intake pipe as is possible. Cai, short ram and cowl induction = all kinds of badassness regarding a reasonable n.a. street setup.
Somebody do it, DO IT NOW !!!

Last edited by onevq35de; 03-10-2018 at 05:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Desert Z (05-04-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 11:40 PM
DarkZ03

AdminTuning is happy to finally present the Large MAF Intake kit for customers looking to substantially increase the performance of their naturally aspirated DE and RevUp engines. This intake was designed with a focus on increasing the mass airflow into your car’s engine without sacrificing potential horsepower due to pressure drops induced by excessive bends or tight bend radius often introduced in large tube intake systems.

Our testing has shown to add up to 16whp and 20wtq PEAK on top of tuned combinations with aftermarket intakes, with gains across the RPM range on a STOCK intake manifold with spacer (NO Kinetix). So whether you are building a high RPM VQ or just doing casual bolt ons, this intake will provide significant increases. Also works well with the NWP throttle body.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:42 PM
DarkZ03

Now maybe I can't read but it does not say we do not recommend using it?
Old 03-11-2018, 12:09 AM
DarkZ03

I had a modded upper and lower and like I said, I don't feel a loss of power, I have a regular old intake. I did not mean tricky, for the most part any bolt-on will make power, but it doesn't mean you have optimized power for your setup. There are a plethora of variables when it comes to tuning that stuff. For example short headers may actually work better in certain scenarios, or short ram intake better could be better than a cold air. You can follow others foot steps, that is the logical thing to do. To my memory nobody has tested every single I,H,E for this platform, with various CR or cams, etc. There is NOT a definitive answer for anything where it comes to modifications lol. Hell, in school we had a mustang that when strapped to the dyno made 40whp on an MSD ignition alone, but it was because the stock one wasn't putting out.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:15 AM
onevq35de

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Now maybe I can't read but it does not say we do not recommend using it?
AT is referencing power and then (no kinetix). Come on Dark, don't do this to me.

You writing of generalities, and as such making it seem as if there's something mystical about the process. This platform is older than dirt. There's no guesswork left. Fastest n.a. Z sub 12 sec pass. That's nutz.
There's more than enough fantastic info available that will lead you to the best component, whatever said component may be, given your desired rpm range.

Last edited by onevq35de; 03-11-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:21 PM
DarkZ03

No kinetix could mean no V plus either? I highly doubt it is meant like that but whatever. Fastest car in the 1/4 is not a thing I would consider relevant in the power department because there are other things to factor in like driver, elevation, tires, etc. The statement was not only applicable to this car but all gas engines. As a mechanic you simply are not going to convince me that if I look at other peoples builds and pick off some of their parts that I'm going to get the same results. The only Z I consider outstanding is Sasha's because he has the highest documented power.

Last edited by DarkZ03; 03-11-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:43 PM
onevq35de

Believe me when I tell you AT is referring to the Velocity. I questioned that as well so I got the low down from the horses mouth.
I wouldn't look at anybody's builds and pick parts, just a select few.
No doubt much more to good times, be it drag or track, than power alone.
Sasha's in the high rpm and on a track, fo sho. Sasha's on the street, hell no! Sasha's on a drag strip, yeah, but there's probably a better choice or 3.

Search this Thread