Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Blitz Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 02:27 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Jeez, so angry. Why would someone make up a myth about something like that? It would NOT make it any less good if that was the case, nor make such rewards invalid. Simply look at the DE it looks like a FWD engine that was converted to a RWD configuration, not something that was optimized for RWD. The HR IS optimized for RWD and you CANNOT tell me it was because of 3 years of technology. Again, I'm not talking the car down, I LOVE the Z and you will have to pry it from my dead hands, I cringe every time I see someone swap the DE out for another engine. That being said as a mechanic of 9+ years you are not going to convince me it was optimal for the time.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:26 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Optimal is for McLaren, Ferrari or Porsche. Limited production marques with a customer base who can pay for it. Nissan introduced the VQ back in 1995 with the FWD Maxima and recognized it could be used to power several applications. So no, the Z33 didn't have an engine that was optimized for RWD, but Nissan engineers did a fine job in making the RWD version of the VQ35DE a precision built, mass-produced, reliable and affordable powertrain. As a racer and wrench for over 30+ years, I find a lot of beauty in that.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:30 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

HR is A LOT more optimized than the DE and it is in the Z33 so I guess it is what it is... Not everyone will agree all the time.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:45 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

06+ intake from my research is best, but thats still only marginally better than a stock 03-05 intake box.

I have a frankenstein setup and i like it. Stillen intake box and JWT intake filter with Vstack, Z1 tube and fittings.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:27 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
HR is A LOT more optimized than the DE and it is in the Z33 so I guess it is what it is... Not everyone will agree all the time.
Examine the HR closely and you'll find it's almost a different engine. 80% of the parts are different, and Nissan was clearly moving into the VQ37VHR era for performance. Having raced the HR in a Z33, I appreciate some of those aspects, but it's not perfect. It always runs hotter than the DE (despite upgraded radiator, oil cooler and all the latest cooling tricks) during summer races. It sits slightly higher in the chassis, so the center-of-gravity isn't as optimized as the DE. Finally, the CSC is an issue in which drivetrain reliability went backwards from the DE. All this means it's a royal PITA for this Nissan racer...