Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Invidia Gemini and N1 together?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 08:28 AM
waldo36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Invidia Gemini and N1 together?

Hello Forum, I've got another stupid idea to present to get flamed on.

I currently have the Invidia Gemini installed, and it's starting to degrade because the exhaust is rattling more and more each month. That exhaust has been installed for 6.5yrs and has about 95K miles on it. I am not sure if the rattling is coming from the resonators towards the front of the system, or if it is in the mufflers at the rear. So just been researching and looking at options for replacing the system. I tired reaching out to Invidia initially to see if they would just sell me the resonators separately, but they never responded to my email. I had been intrigued by the N1 system originally before purchasing the Gemini, but decided on the Gemini for true dual.

I got to thinking to myself, "Self, I wonder if it's possible to use the duel pipes off the Gemini, and adapt the N1 mufflers..." So clearly you all understand my mental state now. Eye-balling it, it looks close but there would definitely need to have some bends made to line up exactly...or close enough. The thought process on this is focused on weight savings, and straightening the pipes for straighter/"faster" flow. Again, my mental state is not good, so my physics calculations are completely BS*.

Seeking thoughts on if you could, would you, or tell me how terrible of an idea it is.

Gemini

N1
Old 01-31-2019, 01:50 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

You really need to determine what's broken before you go piece mealing anything together. If resonators, they are an easy cut n' weld by any muffler shop. But if its actually the rear mufflers, well, that's a little more work. As your own pic shows, the Gemini mufflers are a side to side, crosswise arrangement which would need to be entirely removed (not hard on a true dual system) and then you can substitute the Noise1s into newly fab'd rear pipes coming off the mids. (Also not difficult for a muff shop). N1s themselves are pretty generic and you can buy them for $25 a piece on EBay or Jegs or wherever.

Honestly though, if you inspect and find you've got bad pipes (rust or anything) that require doing any custom piping as above, might be time (and easier) to just replace the cat back or at least the Y-back. Exhaust systems, despite how much they may cost, are pretty much "wear items".
Old 02-15-2019, 07:18 AM
waldo36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
If resonators, they are an easy cut n' weld by any muffler shop. But if its actually the rear mufflers, well, that's a little more work.
I'm pretty sure it's the resonators as the ticking/clinking noise when revving seems be more apparent around the resonators than the mufflers. But that's not to say I still may have something loose in the mufflers as well.

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Honestly though, if you inspect and find you've got bad pipes (rust or anything) that require doing any custom piping as above, might be time (and easier) to just replace the cat back or at least the Y-back. Exhaust systems, despite how much they may cost, are pretty much "wear items".
Fortunately living in TN don't really have any rust concerns, but I do understand exhaust being a wear items....especially given the age and miles I've put on the system. I know it is just better to save up and do it right, but some times redneck engineering works out, haha.