Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Who's done what exhaust lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 08:54 AM
alpine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Who's done what exhaust lately?

I'm looking for "owner" information, what did you get? When did you get it, and why did you get that vs. something else?

Easy right?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 12:42 PM
jng1226

Default Re: Who's done what exhaust lately?

Originally posted by alpine
I'm looking for "owner" information, what did you get? When did you get it, and why did you get that vs. something else?

Easy right?

Thanks
Whew, I sound like a parrot about this lately, but I've recently installed the Topspeed Pro-1 3" exhaust. It is a copy of the RS*R Exmag GT2 exhaust, except is all-polished stainless steel. With no other mods, I got 8-12 rwhp on a Dynapack dyno. I think the sound is the most exotic of anything I've heard for the 350Z, albeit definitely the loudest. That's why I like that it comes with silencers that take 2 minutes to install or remove. It still sounds cool with them in but cuts the volume by more than 50%. I got mine brand new on eBay for $365 (regular price is $759). How about that for a deal!?

You can read more about what I wrote about it here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=2

Here are some videos, one of my car on the dyno and another owner's drive-by (both without the silencers in place): Topspeed Pro-1 Videos

Old 04-18-2004, 12:59 PM
axxizzer

Default STILLEN!

I got it because it was an easy install and offered juge torque gains!!
Old 04-18-2004, 01:04 PM
alpine

Thanks for the new info, I'm not looking for loud, of course, as always I'm trying to get the best of both worlds on this.

Breathe better without making too much more noise.

I'll look into this exhaust, does anyone else have this? I noticed you're from NC so not much chance on me hearing it, I'd like to see if there's anyone local to check out or some shop that has'm.

thanks again!
Old 04-18-2004, 03:56 PM
jng1226

If you read that thread that I posted a link too, several people recommended Borla. This is one of the best exhausts in terms of power gain (one of the highest peak HP gains) with the one of lowest volume gain. In fact, some people complain that the Borla is too quiet in that it's not much louder than stock.

Bottom line, there is no "magic" exhaust that is miles ahead of any other, many dyno shootouts on here have proven that. Based on what you've said, Borla, Nismo, Stillen and Fujitsubo are going to be the direction you're looking in. They are all within 2 rwhp of each other at about 8-10 rwhp gains.

Have fun with this shopping page that lists most of the exhausts available for the 350Z: Exhausts for 350Z
Old 04-19-2004, 05:53 AM
alpine

Did you post the link to the thread? I'll go back and check, if not please post the link to your thread.

I do realize there is no magic bullet, there never is. But as you know a lot of equipment is 'hype' and of course manufacturers can make their product look as good as they want on paper.

That is why I am looking for owner opinion, as we tend to know the difference between what we had and what we just put on.

I did visit the link to the shopping page, I'll have to do some more homework, I just saw the RS-R equip as well, I'd heard some good things about that.

I do know that Borla is good exhaust, Most likely that is where I will end up. I believe HFM has borla exhaust, and I've driven his car, and it's not a loud exhaust which is a good thing.

I'll look at some specs from borla and a couple others, I am looking to keep the noise down however due to my daily driving through law infested surface streets.

thanks again.

Originally posted by jng1226
If you read that thread that I posted a link too, several people recommended Borla. This is one of the best exhausts in terms of power gain (one of the highest peak HP gains) with the one of lowest volume gain. In fact, some people complain that the Borla is too quiet in that it's not much louder than stock.

Bottom line, there is no "magic" exhaust that is miles ahead of any other, many dyno shootouts on here have proven that. Based on what you've said, Borla, Nismo, Stillen and Fujitsubo are going to be the direction you're looking in. They are all within 2 rwhp of each other at about 8-10 rwhp gains.

Have fun with this shopping page that lists most of the exhausts available for the 350Z: Exhausts for 350Z
Old 04-19-2004, 05:56 AM
supirio

I have the nismo exhaust, I like it and its not overly loud, but if you want quiet get the Borla TD my friend just got it on other day, sounds/looks great, it is quieter than the nismo.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:59 AM
alpine

Originally posted by supirio
I have the nismo exhaust, I like it and its not overly loud, but if you want quiet get the Borla TD my friend just got it on other day, sounds/looks great, it is quieter than the nismo.
Yea I actually am familar with the Nismo, and I do know the Borla puts out better numbers than the Nismo and I am familiar with the sound it makes, so if the Borla is True Dual Exhaust, puts out better numbers, and is quieter, it's looking like "the one".

Thanks for the info, it's a good comparison for me.

Anyone know where I can get a good price on one? What are they going for now?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Th3Cleaner

Purchased Z with Nismo exhaust installed, sounds great, I can't compare rwhp I purchased car new with Nismo parts pre installed.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:33 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

injen, got it cause it was light, solid HP, great sound, and IMO good platform to build on.

oh and it was way cheaper from those that could outperform it. cost was a big issue.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:23 AM
alpine

Originally posted by ares
injen, got it cause it was light, solid HP, great sound, and IMO good platform to build on.

oh and it was way cheaper from those that could outperform it. cost was a big issue.
Clearly cost is always an issue, unless you got deep-deep pockets so I hear ya.

There was a dyno event a few months back where there were some impressive exhaust packages, that only showed 4-5HP over my stock exhaust with similar other setups.

I don't see the point on putting in 3/4K to get 4-5HP in a NON race/competition car.

I'll be looking at the injen, thank you.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:40 AM
jng1226

Originally posted by alpine
I'll be looking at the injen, thank you.
You mentioned before that you didn't want loud, and I believe that the Injen is second only in volume to the RS*R/Topspeed Pro-1. I'm not sure if it comes with silencers.

I know it is a very popular choice, however.

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2004, 12:06 PM
1stogie

I just installed a Borla TD this weekend. For me, I love it. Not overly too loud, but sounds much better than stock. $719 shipped on Ebay. Had it within 2-3 days.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:46 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Fujitsubo Titanium 2 weeks ago. Price is ridiculous. Sound is between Stock and Nismo. Very nice and melodious tone. For a y- pipe back (as opposed to the cat back) it made a "noticeable" performance increase. I don’t know exactly how much, but it does feel better and not to mention it is super light.

The sound is very reserved and gets better (deeper) as it warms up. At no point is it raspy.

I will be adding a y pipe soon and expect the sound to change a little.

Also the huge tips and laser etched Z in the back is one of the coolest things about the exhaust and sets it apart from others. It also gets a lot of attention.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:36 PM
AParshall04

i have a custom built true dual exhaust with HKS Carbon/Ti mufflers. I love the sound more than any other exhaust i have heard on the market, and i believe the performance is awesome, although i have not dynod. Although if you want quiet this is not the right exhaust - it's pretty loud. Although if i added resonators and silencers it could be cut significantly to sound more like stock or quieter i am sure.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Lateapex

After much reading and listening to wav. files, I bought the Hi-Tech system from the Aussies. I eliminated any system that was not readily available or had no positive user testimony about interior resonance and noise levels, which narrowed the field rapidly.

Design-wise, I like the Stillen and the Hi-Tech, but the Hi-Tech sounds better and is 18 lbs lighter than stock. It wasn't cheap, and by the time it arrived in the states, our weakened dollar cost me another $100. But, they sold it to me at 'racer-net', so that helped. I'm very happy with it.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anybody know if the RSR-Ex Mag GT II exhaust has small canister mufflers? I like the look from the back but not the side. Are the mufflers the size of the Pro N1 ? Anybody have this exhaust that wants to comment on it?
Old 04-24-2004, 10:20 AM
jng1226

Originally posted by Alberto
Does anybody know if the RSR-Ex Mag GT II exhaust has small canister mufflers? I like the look from the back but not the side. Are the mufflers the size of the Pro N1 ? Anybody have this exhaust that wants to comment on it?

Scroll down on this thread, I posted pictures of both the RS*R and Pro-1: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=3

I agree with you, that I look the looks from the back, but not as much from the side. The exhaust is awesome though, and I have grown to like the look from the side. Directly from the back it looks very cool, because all you see are the massive pipes splitting left and right, no fat "muffler" section.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Z_Pride

Just did borla td recently. It's like stock but much deeper. Sounds beautiful at wot. Good gains too. If you're looking for hp gains at around the same noise level as stock I'd go with this or nismo.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Power Enterprise SuperSonic on my Z. It was very quiet, similar to stock. Design is identical to Fujitsubo or Nismo, except with twin dual tips, instead of two big tips. Quality was approaching flawless. 3 inch piping throughout so it's a decent choice if you're installing a turbocharger kit. I am the only person I know of that ever had this exhaust, except for RB Motoring.

Quick Reply: Who's done what exhaust lately?