Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

RSR exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Dissolved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zpeed350
I have had the RSR installed for a little over a month now and was 1 of 2 cars at the ATCO meet (that I counted) with it. IMO it is no question the meanest sounding exhaust available....and I receieved nothing but compliments and WOW's.

During my track runs my buddy was saying that it was no doubt the best sounding car down the track and it had people talking...well except for those guys with turbos, prochargers, and blow off valves....OH MY!

The system if very raw at first, but the sound has smoothed out nicely over the last 5 weeks or so. Still very loud, just really smooth with that hint of the Z purr from the VQ35.

I have a sound pressure level meter, I should do some readings for the board. anyone know the proper distance to take decibal readings?

I am eager to get my car dynoed, but I have no time for the next few weeks...but I will keep you posted. However, there is a noticeable difference after the fact. Besides that, the weight savings is tremendous. The stocker is a ROCK!
You say track times, but what did you do? Its not in your sig. I hope to god the exhaust cut down on your et
Old 04-27-2004, 04:31 PM
jng1226

Originally posted by Dissolved
You say track times, but what did you do? Its not in your sig. I hope to god the exhaust cut down on your et
Dude, I seriously doubt that ANY exhaust (without cats/test pipes/etc.) is going to make more than 1/10 sec and/or 1-2 mph difference in the 1/4. Don't you remember this thread?: Added 1.20 in 1/4 after Borla Install
Old 04-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Dissolved

i doubt that. You could say the same about intake, which definitely helped my 1/4mile times. It's either going to help or not help
Old 04-27-2004, 05:32 PM
jng1226

i doubt that. You could say the same about intake, which definitely helped my 1/4mile times. It's either going to help or not help
OK, I understand what you're getting at because I looked up your post regarding your testing with a g-tech:

I heard about this test in the mag. Total BS. I can tell you just the popcharger decreased my 0-60time and 1/4mile time a little on Gtech Pro.

1/4mile went from a consistent 14.3@105 (reproduced about 6 times) to a 14.1@104mph (reproduced twice).

0-60 went from a VERy consistent 5.77 to a 5.65.

Oh and I had traction issues. Going to get exhaust soon and re-test. Same road, same launch, same ambient temperature, same gtech, same traction. Everything was the same in the tests.
I found this quite interesting and it makes me want to get a Pop Charger. What I don't understand is this: if you were indeed making more HP that resulted in the better acceleration, why did your trap speeds actually decrease? I have no experience with drag strips, but is it possible that some condition had changed to enhance the launch grip to result in your lower time? If this scenario was true then it would explain why your trap speed was the same or lower.

Also, doesn't the G-tech do HP ratings? Did you do any testing back-to-back that mode?

I am truly curious. I had the first generation G-Tech many moons ago with an LT-1 6spd Camaro and have heard that these are now MUCH more accurate.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by jng1226
OK, I understand what you're getting at because I looked up your post regarding your testing with a g-tech:

I found this quite interesting and it makes me want to get a Pop Charger. What I don't understand is this: if you were indeed making more HP that resulted in the better acceleration, why did your trap speeds actually decrease? I have no experience with drag strips, but is it possible that some condition had changed to enhance the launch grip to result in your lower time? If this scenario was true then it would explain why your trap speed was the same or lower.

Also, doesn't the G-tech do HP ratings? Did you do any testing back-to-back that mode?

I am truly curious. I had the first generation G-Tech many moons ago with an LT-1 6spd Camaro and have heard that these are now MUCH more accurate.
It's not the first gen gtech. It's second gen (gtech pro). The trap speed is never accurate on the Gtechs, so I never take it into account. The et's are fairly close to actual 1/4mile times at the track though.

My trap speed decreased because I was hooking better. In my experience with drag racing on a strip, the more you spin out of the hole, the higher your trap speed is...... but lower your et. I have found this true many times.

The Gtech does indeed do HP ratings but I would not trust it. I use it mostly for 0-60 and to see what my mods do for me. I keep all variables the same each time (same road etc ).

I gtech'd 5.7 consistently to 60mph on 4 or 5 different occasions bone stock. I put the popcharger in and the car felt slower (well, it did lose some low end). So I said, "time to whip out the gtech and find out the the truth." But then I started hitting consistent 5.5seconds to 60mph. I repeated it several times. (again, all variables the same. ie: temp, launch etc etc)

Just recently, I even got a 5.3. But with different variables. It was because I had better traction (hotter out)

So in short, dont trust the gtech's mph. But trust it's et and 0-60.

Last edited by Dissolved; 04-27-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:44 AM
jng1226

Ok, thanks for the details. I understand what you're saying about not trusting the HP rating mode of the G-tech Pro, but I am really curious about what it would show as a difference in HP between stock and Pop Charger. In this case, I would treat it just like any dyno, meaning that it's meaningless compared to any other car, but definitely relevant to the same car, the only difference being a single modification.

Again, not antagonizing, but how many miles did you have on your car when you put on the Pop Charger and between the 5.7 and 5.3 runs?

That's even more interesting that you feel the Pop Charger lost some low-end. That's the first time I've read that. I could understand with a freer-flowing exhaust how you could lose some low-end, but I didn't think that the design of the Pop Charger was that radically different from the stock airbox to result in some low end losses. It just looks like it has much more filter area to draw air in from.

I'm going to look on eBay for a G-tech Pro, I've never been to a track and I'm curious where my car is at now, and I would like to measure any new mods in the future.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:02 AM
zpeed350

Nooo, the exhaust didn't cut down my ET. That was all me. The time in my sig was my first ever run down a track this weekend at ATCO.

My first ever time at the track, plus a mediocre launch, and poor shifting because I was so nervous just didn't add up to anything impressive. I actually thouhgt it would have been worse.

Now that I am addicted...you all said it would happen...I will probably be heading up to Lebanon Valley, NY sooner than later to run again.

Last edited by zpeed350; 04-28-2004 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:00 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by jng1226
Ok, thanks for the details. I understand what you're saying about not trusting the HP rating mode of the G-tech Pro, but I am really curious about what it would show as a difference in HP between stock and Pop Charger. In this case, I would treat it just like any dyno, meaning that it's meaningless compared to any other car, but definitely relevant to the same car, the only difference being a single modification.

Again, not antagonizing, but how many miles did you have on your car when you put on the Pop Charger and between the 5.7 and 5.3 runs?

That's even more interesting that you feel the Pop Charger lost some low-end. That's the first time I've read that. I could understand with a freer-flowing exhaust how you could lose some low-end, but I didn't think that the design of the Pop Charger was that radically different from the stock airbox to result in some low end losses. It just looks like it has much more filter area to draw air in from.

I'm going to look on eBay for a G-tech Pro, I've never been to a track and I'm curious where my car is at now, and I would like to measure any new mods in the future.
Popcharger definitely made me lose some low end. I was kind of pissed about it until I whipped out the gtech. Thank god I took several runs beforehand so i would have a baseline. (see my post below for all my gtech runs I documented)

From the 5.7 to 5.3, I only had about 800 more miles on my car. It was only a month apart. Keep in mind I gteched several several times on several several different occasions and could only muster a 5.7. BUT, I could repeat that 5.7 at any time.

The night I installed the popcharger I got a 5.65. I guess the ECU may have adjusted , because about 1000 miles later I Got a 5.3 to 60mph. But only could do it once. Now, my average is 5.5 to 60mph.

I didnt mention the biggest difference. I used to do a 14.3@104mph CONSISTENLY on gtech. After the popcharger install I hit a 14.1@104 consistently (ALL variables being the same). I didnt do the 1/4mile run when I got my 5.3 to 60mph, I should of. Would of been a high 13

btw: you can get gtech pros for like $35 off of ebay

Last edited by Dissolved; 04-28-2004 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:04 AM
Dissolved

gtech run#1: http://350zforum.com/net/viewmsg.asp...l&msg_id=37878 (60 degree weather I believe. Had around 4000miles on car I think)

gtech run#2: http://350zforum.com/net/viewmsg.asp...l&msg_id=41664

gtech run#3: http://350zforum.com/net/viewmsg.asp...l&msg_id=47307

gtechrun#4: http://350zforum.com/net/viewmsg.asp...l&msg_id=50544

Last edited by Dissolved; 04-28-2004 at 05:10 AM.