Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Anyone who has ever had Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Syentifiq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone who has ever had Window Problems

This is now the third time that one of the windows on my Z has gotten stuck due to a faulty window motor. I went to the dealership today and now that my warranty has expired, I was told that I'll have to pay the $90 diagnostic fee, the cost of the part which I found out here will be around $280 plus the labor for the repair. I called NNA today file a complaint and they said that in order for this part to be recalled they first need to receive an influx of complaints on the issue. They of course know it is an issue, they have a log of all the warranty repairs done on all Z's and have put out a TSB on the problem. Either way, if you have had any problems with your windows sticking, not retracting at all/ far enough when opening your doors please take 5 minutes and call 1-800-NISSAN1 (1-800-647-7261) and let them know about it. If enough of us open up complaint files they may be forced to recall the part and replace it with something that wont die once a year. Also they told me there is a new safety recall on 03/04 fuel filler hoses that will be going out in the mail soon. The recall number is R0505, TSB 06-014 so all of you 03/04 owners get ready to head to the dealership to get that replaced.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:39 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wish it was a recall, that would help us tons!

as for the fuel filler hoses, that's a repost, thanks!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:15 PM
ktown z

I had to replace both of mine. I have the extended warrenty and it was 50 dollar deductible per window.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Ztalker

wonder who is the supplier for those nissan window motors...they don't worth ****. i had both sides replaced under warranty since 03. i wouldn't be surprised if they were manufactured by the same company who supplied VW power windows.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:12 PM
rotaryrocket7

You could argue that the original problem was never corrected and the result is the continued "malfunction" of the window motor. I would push REALLY hard on NNA about covering this as this is the 3rd time you've had the problem.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:51 AM
KY350

I'e had my driver side window motor replaced under warranty on the 03 early last year and now my passanger side window is also getting stuck. The window gets stuck in the down position or won't open and the problem is intermittent. That is it wont raise and then after many attempts at getting the window up, it will finally work. I have spoken to the dealer and arranged for the motor to be replaced under warranty.

BTW, if your window is stuck in the down position and you need to get it up to secure the car, then do the following:

1. open the affected door
2. pull up on the window switch.
3. now using the soft part of your fist (the fleshy part near your pinky finger), give the lower middle part of the inside of the door a good bang / punch.

This procedure has always always managed to get the window to rise again.

Alternatively, you could try slamming the door closed while holding the power windo switch in the up position.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:35 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Syentifiq
my warranty has expired, I was told that I'll have to pay the $90 diagnostic fee, the cost of the part which I found out here will be around $280 plus the labor for the repair.
Your warranty may not be relevant.

Read the warranty on the back of the last window repair job order. It should read something like Parts are warranted for 12,000 miles/12 months.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:38 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KY350

3. now using the soft part of your fist (the fleshy part near your pinky finger), give the lower middle part of the inside of the door a good bang / punch.
I read this suggestion sometime ago and tried it. It has worked several times for me. And I smack the door hard!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
eddie lee

I have the same problem on my window. And my warranty is expired. So, I purchased the new window motor from a dealer for $200. And the package shown "Made in Philippines"on the label. May be thats why it break all the times!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:30 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wonder how hard the self install for this would be...being that it would be cheaper than the dealer charging you to have it installed by then unwarrantied...
Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 AM
mitchgt

syentifiq... i'll give'em a call later today, I had mine replaced over a year ago, and guess what, i'm having problems again... it only happens some times but I can't wait till i'm down town STL and they won't go up.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:45 PM
jt14894

Well, 3 years and 4-months with no other issues (besides feathering which was fixed under warranty) and now the window problem has caught up to me.
Figures.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:13 PM
jeffw

I am 90% sure that the problem with everyone's window motors is that they develop a short across packed carbon dust between the conduction points on the commutator. The carbon dust comes from the pure carbon motor brushes. Eventually the brushes will be completely consumed, and I'm not sure if they can be replaced. However, I found they had a decent amount of life left when I opened my motor up. It was just the short from the build-up that was causing problems.

I made a thread a while back on how to open up the motor and clean it:
https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/142013-window-motor-repair-replace-motor-brushes.html

I apologize that I haven't made a HOWTO with photos and all. I'll do it the next time I have to clean my motors. BTW, I only cleaned it one time and haven't had to do it again (yet).

--
Jeff
Old 05-11-2006, 07:07 PM
jt14894

Originally Posted by jeffw
I am 90% sure that the problem with everyone's window motors is that they develop a short across packed carbon dust between the conduction points on the commutator. The carbon dust comes from the pure carbon motor brushes. Eventually the brushes will be completely consumed, and I'm not sure if they can be replaced. However, I found they had a decent amount of life left when I opened my motor up. It was just the short from the build-up that was causing problems.

I made a thread a while back on how to open up the motor and clean it:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142013

I apologize that I haven't made a HOWTO with photos and all. I'll do it the next time I have to clean my motors. BTW, I only cleaned it one time and haven't had to do it again (yet).

--
Jeff
Thank you for the info.
Unfortunately, I'm a novice when it comes to taking apart a window motor, although I have done something like that when I was a kid, but I have the feeling I would screw it up and just end up buying a replacement.
I have replaced a window motor before (1995 Pontiac Grand Prix), with the help of my brother, and boy was that a bioch. So, I may just have to do it that way.

JT

Last edited by jt14894; 05-11-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:03 PM
sluggo20031

Originally Posted by Ztalker
wonder who is the supplier for those nissan window motors...they don't worth ****. i had both sides replaced under warranty since 03. i wouldn't be surprised if they were manufactured by the same company who supplied VW power windows.

Thought the same thing. Just had my DR side replaced (ext warr- $100) PASS replaced in '0. Wrote to the NHTSA and complained and called Nissan and got a complaint number- everyone do this so they recall them and make them different
Old 05-21-2006, 12:59 AM
Blayzed

I had my passenger side window motor replaced under warranty for the same problem (03'), intermittently getting stuck in the down position then randomly working when it wanted. After it happened a few times while I was living in an apt complex I made the time to get it fixed.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by eddie lee
I have the same problem on my window. And my warranty is expired. So, I purchased the new window motor from a dealer for $200. And the package shown "Made in Philippines"on the label. May be thats why it break all the times!
"made in Philippines" means the motors are assembled by children in the third world. Nissan wake up....WTF.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:44 PM
drifter23

Originally Posted by ktown z
I had to replace both of mine. I have the extended warrenty and it was 50 dollar deductible per window.
+1
Old 05-24-2006, 05:35 PM
ASTIG_Z

Originally Posted by eddie lee
And the package shown "Made in Philippines"on the label. May be thats why it break all the times!
And you think that things made in Korea or China has much of a difference from the philippines? You are such a moron...
Old 05-26-2006, 06:05 PM
zanshadow

hey i'm from korea
don't be bad mouthin abut korean stuff
better than ford and chevy shiats
hyundai and kia workmanship proving around now days

anyways, i need a new windo motor for my 03 track
or i will just try to clean the brush myself...
but afraid i aint much of a mechanic myself
pics would help big time so let me know

thx

Quick Reply: Anyone who has ever had Window Problems