MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Hot air from the vents....wth? (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/19013-hot-air-from-the-vents-wth.html)

brooklyn 02-09-2003 02:15 PM

Hot air from the vents....wth?

Does anyone else suffer from hot air from the vents, even when the heater is off and it's a relatively cold day outside? I try to vent the car by not having the air circulating and when I try to get some fresh air into the car, it's hot air....anyone else suffer from this? Can someone help me out? Thanks

2003z 02-09-2003 02:29 PM

I just noticed this today too. I think its because of the auto temp. Even if its all the way down, its still at 60degrees, so if its cold out it wants to bring the temp up, with or without the system running.

mcclaskz 02-09-2003 02:52 PM

I was told that it is because it gets very hot in the engine bay. I have found that if you put it on defrost, with the fan on and the A/C off it gets a little cooler than if you have the air going to the panel and floor vents.

BRONXWARRIOR 02-09-2003 05:53 PM

you can simply press the button shutting of the outside air vents.

then youll have no air at all circulating into the car.

tennyball 05-12-2003 12:42 PM

I have the same problem with my car. At first, I thought that there was hot air in the ducts, so I turned on the AC for a minute and then shut it off. But, when the A/C air dissipated, warm/hot blew out.

I set the temperature gauge to read 68, instead of Auto, and this still happens. Has anyone found a fix for this problem or knows what's going on? Thanks,

failsafe 05-12-2003 02:16 PM

Originally posted by BRONXWARRIOR
you can simply press the button shutting of the outside air vents.

then youll have no air at all circulating into the car.

Bronx said it-push in the middle knob (I think)- So the venting system light is on "recirculate air" and not "fresh air"

tennyball 05-12-2003 02:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. Not circulating the air would work but only if the temperature inside the car is cool. I normally have my windows shut and on a sunny day, not a hot, it gets pretty warm inside the car.

It would be nice to push cool air into the car cabin without having to use the A/C. I read other threads referring to the duct being to close to the engine, thus heating the air. Is there a way to insulate or reposition the duct? or Am I going to have to live with it?

teh215 05-12-2003 03:18 PM

Part of it could be the heat radiated from the completely aluminum engine in a fairly tight space. Aluminum sheds heat very quickly which radiates into the passenger compartment. This car is my first black car and it is a roaster. I hardly ever run the AC except to make certain the seals do not dry out.

rouxeny 05-14-2003 08:48 PM

I noticed this today. I think there is one more detent just below the 60 degree marker on the temp gauge. If you're they're, the car just sends in the outside air. Anything above gets heated a little.

Not sure, but that seemed to work today, will re-assess on the way home.

tennyball 05-15-2003 07:28 AM

I did a little experimenting. I turned the vent control to auto, tempature to 75, and fan to Auto.

When I started the car, the A/C kicked on but I quickly turned it off. I noticed that the air coming out was cool, not cooler than the outside air, but not warm either. I drove to work and the air stayed cool. I don't know what this means but it worked. Can someone that has the same problem test it out as well?

fred_richmond 10-20-2003 03:13 PM

Now that fall is here I have been using the fresh air vent more. It appears that if the a/c is off, then the heater is on. The only way to cool down the vent air is to turn the thermostat all the way down to 60, effectively turning off the heater. Has anyone else noticed this?

cusdaddy 10-21-2003 03:57 PM

The engine bay runs hot, so the warm air enters in from the vents. If you feel by your feet, hot air also rushes in where your right leg is. A good way to get the car cool is to run the AC for a few minutes to cool the air, then turn it off, and it will run cooler for quite some time. Once it heats up again, repeat

fred_richmond 10-21-2003 04:43 PM

Perhaps I wasn't as clear in my post as I could have been. When I have the thermostat down at 60 the air coming through the vents is quite cool. I believe that many folks have the heater on without knowing it.

dnguyent 10-22-2003 10:12 AM

Actually, I did notice the same characteristics as the member who originally posted. I set my thermostat on 60, had the vents open to the outside, turned off the A/C, and ended up having warm air come through the vents. The temperature of the air coming out of the vent is definitely much warmer than the outside air, as I now shut off the vent, and open the window instead.

This happens after I've parked outside for a short period of time after running the car, like going to the local supermarket. I'm assuming the engine compartment has heated the ducts considerably or the outside air is still being funneled through a heater. It is certainly peculiar behavior.

In addition to the warm temperature, the air feels humid and has a smell of mold. Turning on the heater or A/C gets rid of that humidity and smell. What gives?

EL Diablo 10-23-2003 10:41 AM

Happens to me too. Strange? noticed it after reading this post. I am always wondering if I'll experience all or some of the issues some owners have. Tire feathering, Tranny problems, Streaky windows, blah blah blah... it sucks. Kinda like wondering if your gonna get cancer one day.

desmo_dog 10-23-2003 12:11 PM

Originally posted by EL Diablo
Happens to me too. Strange? noticed it after reading this post. I am always wondering if I'll experience all or some of the issues some owners have. Tire feathering, Tranny problems, Streaky windows, blah blah blah... it sucks. Kinda like wondering if your gonna get cancer one day.
:icon18: Yeah, I second that. Everyone else who works at the same factory as us has already got the cancer. Hehe, yesterday, I swore I heard some humming and vibration coming out of the gear shifter in 5th gear...now I'm all paranoid.

wRONG 03-15-2011 11:49 AM

Bump.... The hot air coming into the cabin is driving me nutz.. I know this is an old post but this is my issue.. amongst others.... HELP PLZ!!

Smirnov88 06-27-2011 09:44 PM

bump... got the same issue :( mines an 07

KornerCarver 06-28-2011 04:23 AM

I never have that problem. I just set the temperature control at 75 degrees and let the car decide whether to run the heater or the air conditioner. The car is always comfortable.

davidv 06-28-2011 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Smirnov88 (Post 9226748)
bump... got the same issue :( mines an 07

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...re06282011.jpg
Maybe after 8 years this is not an issue. Its just the way the car is.

a. All knobs counter clockwise
b. Center knob to recalculate
c. Close all vents