MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Gone in 60 sec... (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/19843-gone-in-60-sec.html)

LeMansZCa 02-17-2003 02:29 PM

Gone in 60 sec...

Just saw a special on Discovery channel, where they filmed and timed a guy, picked a 911, thru the door key hole, picked the ignition and drove off.... all in 60sec... using two picks...

i did notice one of the pick was a simple 90 degree bend to hold it open while the other pick did all the work...

they can't do THAT to our Z's... right? they might be able to get in... but picking the ignition should disable the starter...?!?!

it was fun to watch the Targa... Gone in 60 sec...:p

MannishBoy 02-17-2003 03:22 PM

The 90 degree piece you are talking about is what you tension the lock with. The other "pick" is used to throw the tumblers. Put the bent piece in, hold a little bit of tension on the lock, then get the tumblers.

I used to be able to do basic locks, but I'm way out of practice.

Probably actually easier on most cars to go through with a rod between the door and the window. I used to unlock cars for a dealership when I was in high school, and had a pretty good kit with lots of different rods and a book with diagrams of where to go on different model cars to throw the lock. Wasn't that hard once you get the hang of it. Note that "slim jim" types of tools are crap for most cars.

Tips were great, btw :) Gratitude is high when you are mad at yourself for locking your keys up.

As for driving off on our cars, the ignition has an electronic disabling system that works with a chip embedded in the key. That should keep some away from starting the car. Pros though will get your car if they want it bad enough.

EDIT: GG spelling and grammer :)

LeMansZCa 02-17-2003 04:40 PM

yup, amazing what two lil picks can do...not even scratch up the locks...!

I've also experienced locking my keys in and watch the tow guy open the book, found my car, mark the spot on the door... Vooala! door opens!!

this can still be done to the z.... i guess....??? Yeah, i undeerstand if someone wanted "your" car... it's gone... :( :(

Intrepid 02-17-2003 05:54 PM

Pros will not be able to start our Z either. With the advent of electronic keys and alarms that disable the starter, the days of hot wiring a car are OVER. Pros must now TOW your car away if they want it (or car jack it).

ares 02-17-2003 06:03 PM

pros wouldnt hot wire your car anyway. they could get it started, but theyd need some advanced notice. if it can be created it can be destroyed. nothing is foolproof. but one thing I can say for sure, you cant walk a professional car theif up to a Z, hand him 2 picks and say take the car in less than an hour. he could not do that. but a few days of planning and research and I bet he could do it.

with that said, pros dont want a 350Z. no market for parts, and a pro would never sell a full car, atleast not in this country. and its difficult to get it out of the country. its much easier and lucritive to steal older cars, that are easily broken into and stolen, and also have a strong market for parts since they are beginning to break down more often. not to mention I personally think the owner of a 1992 corrola wouldnt want their car back as badly as a 350Z. which will factor into how much you hassle the cops, and how hard they look.

MannishBoy 02-17-2003 06:11 PM

They only built 3000 of my Syclone, and my first one got stolen with only 1800 miles on it and a good kill switch.

Don't say never. You'll jinx yourself :)

As to our cars are unstealable without a tow truck...yeah, right :)

GMs had similar setups for years, and while it is hard to get around, I don't think it is impossible.

If this is possible for a temporary solution, don't you think somebody can permanently do it? Sure they can.

alphared 02-18-2003 05:29 AM

Originally posted by MannishBoy
They only built 3000 of my Syclone, and my first one got stolen with only 1800 miles on it and a good kill switch.

Don't say never. You'll jinx yourself :)

As to our cars are unstealable without a tow truck...yeah, right :)

GMs had similar setups for years, and while it is hard to get around, I don't think it is impossible.

If this is possible for a temporary solution, don't you think somebody can permanently do it? Sure they can.

GM's version used resistors in the keys. So the car will not start if the key's resistor isn't correct. So all ppl had to do was carry bunch of resistors and jam it into the starter to find the right one to start the car.

Intrepid 02-18-2003 12:20 PM

The Z has a chip in the key similar to the Easy Pass Toll System. It is read directly by the ECU in the Z. It is nearly impossible to start our Z without the key. A Pro would know this and would tow the car away before wasting time trying to get it started. And you're right, CURRENTLY there is no market for parts. But that WILL change eventually.

Regarding this bypass kit for aftermarket alarms (http://www.bypasskit.com/pkn.asp?cid=14) - this requires the key to be scanned first. Something a thief would not be able to do without your key. And if he had your key, he wouldn't nee the bypass...

NOTE: The bypass kit states "This revolutionary new type of bypass kit DOES NOT REQUIRE A KEY in the installation kit." All this means if that your spare key does not have to be buried in your car along with the alarm.

AndyB 02-18-2003 12:40 PM

Stealing a protected car.

To clear some misonceptions up.

The GM system (passkey) was a calibrated resistor, but you could not just "try a bunch". The computer would go in to a wait cycle (like 15 minutes or more) each time you tried a bad value. So, unless you got lucky on the first try or two, it would really slow you down. Trying resistor values is NOT how they stole these cars (unless they had access to your key, then they could just measure it and come prepaired).

As for the Z, I am sure a pro could steal it by disabling the starter kill. Since the imobilizer is in exactly the same place on every Z they would know where it was and how to bypass it. That may mean jumpering around a solenoid, or it could mean feeding a false signal to the ECU to simulate the presence of a valid key. The point is that they could easily come up with a system that worked on all Zs.

The good news is that most car thieves are losers looking for quick cash, not high end thiefs. I think the average "joy rider" or "needs money for crack" thieves would find the Z quite a challenge.

In the end all you can do is make it harder. How hard you need to make it depends a lot on how much risk is in your area. If I lived in NYC I would invest in an aftermarket alarm for sure. Since I live in the suburbs I probably won't bother. Besides, I got a clean shot at the car from my bedroom window so once the alarm goes off they better start running. Only the first shot is a deliberate miss. :)

Intrepid 02-18-2003 03:27 PM

Re: Stealing a protected car.

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by AndyB
That may mean jumpering around a solenoid, or it could mean feeding a false signal to the ECU to simulate the presence of a valid key. The point is that they could easily come up with a system that worked on all Zs.
I respectfully disagree. The Key communicates directly with the ECM. Without the ECM's permission, the Z can not start. I find it highly unlikely that this can be circumvented by any thief in the field.

MannishBoy 02-18-2003 03:35 PM

If you'll notice the link on my post, there is a diabler system that will allow for remote starting for a Nissan system that does not require an extra key to be included in the starter. I'm not sure that this is the same system the Z uses, but my point was that if it was similar, and this thing did its job, it would only be a matter of time before some similar strategy could be devised to get around our system for theft was well.

The page I linked only mentions vehicle circa 1999 and 2000, so Nissan may have changed its system. However, it does appear to be an RF ID key type system, which is what I understood we had.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and that is highly possible) :)

Intrepid 02-18-2003 05:41 PM

[i]Correct me if I'm wrong (and that is highly possible)[/B]
See my post above. This system still requires the key to be scanned.

jreiter 02-20-2003 02:33 AM

Re: Gone in 60 sec...

Originally posted by LeMansZCa
Just saw a special on Discovery channel, where they filmed and timed a guy, picked a 911, thru the door key hole, picked the ignition and drove off.... all in 60sec... using two picks...

I believe I saw the same show you did. It was about repo companies and how they get cars and trucks back. For what it's worth, that Porsche was an older 80's model without all the fancy disabling systems many cars use today. Picking those locks only involves a basic tumbler system: no laser-cut keys, etc. I'd bet money he couldn't be that quick on a current model Porsche. :)

Scratchy 02-20-2003 03:50 AM

at least one was solten and recovered...

http://www.boomerangtracking.com/en/...lash_5_1_e.pdf

Roberto Lo Papa 06-12-2019 07:35 PM

I can attest that they can’t Hotwire it.

Originally Posted by LeMansZCa (Post 203511)

i did notice one of the pick was a simple 90 degree bend to hold it open while the other pick did all the work...

they can't do THAT to our Z's... right? they might be able to get in... but picking the ignition should disable the starter...?!?!

it was fun to watch the Targa... Gone in 60 sec...:p

Punks tried to Hotwire my 04 350z with 74k miles never accidented. Tore it all apart, driller through my door - all for nothing. And now all the parts they broke are discontinued. FFFF$&;(!!!!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....0553b60dec.png

travlee 06-13-2019 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Roberto Lo Papa (Post 10994721)
Punks tried to Hotwire my 04 350z with 74k miles never accidented. Tore it all apart, driller through my door - all for nothing. And now all the parts they broke are discontinued. FFFF$&;(!!!!

congrats on the 16 year dead thread bump

g356sp 06-13-2019 06:26 AM

Finally a conclusion, Nic Cage cannot jack our cars.

masterjr33 06-14-2019 05:38 AM

holy shiat.. first post is a 16 year old necro thread..