Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How to Change/Flush Radiator Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:57 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Just an update, i did this per the FSM however i changed one thing.......

to start, i had the Z up in the air on jack stands in the front and one jack holding the rear up. i set my 3 ton aluminum jack stands on the 2nd notch, so the Z was actually quite high and very easy to drain the radiator and get a good flash light on the fluid falling a good 12 inchs and really see the color of the fluid coming out. i used a clean NEW pan to see if any contaminants came out, etc. my pan was a super large clear plastic Tupperware type container for a dammn cake or something.....it made looking at the color and looking for contaminants easier i figured so i used a clear fluid catcher...

i had none, my system was clean and thats great news.

******WHAT I DID****
When it came time to filling the system I filled like the manual says..filled until the radiator cap was full and same with reservoir...

THEN!!!!!
I i LEFT the front of the 350z up onto jackstands and lowered the rear to the ground all the way....

Z was nose high and then i fillled even more.....this entire time i left the rear air vent at the fire wall open...when fluid started to come out from there and drip on my garage floor i stopped....

capped up everything and turned on teh car, ran it for 3k rpm for 10 min waited for it to cool and checked again....

one time done! drove it and im confident by raising the Z front up so high i made the radiator fill cap the highest point and filled the Z through the block until some poured out the air releif port that im good....

drove around, checked my reservoir and been good.

toodles..

-J
The following users liked this post:
n_den (10-14-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

note, all this does is keep you from having to do this 3 times like the FSM says..(using engine power to force the pump to push out any air).....

its just like those add on adapter radiator fill contraptions (anti spill systems) they make that attach to the top of the radiator and put a long neck reservoir higher than the engine filled with fluid...hence simply putting fluid as the highest point...typical car issue is the radiator isnt higher..

see the issue with the 350z is that the radiator fill cap is BELOW the engine block, the radiator isnt higher than the engine like a truck or suv....

all i did, was make the radiator fill cap port higher....than any other part of the system...

like these things:

-J
Attached Thumbnails How to Change/Flush Radiator Coolant?-aaafunnel.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 04-27-2016 at 01:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JasonZ-YA:
ALO8 (05-03-2016), RobPhoboS (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 09:20 PM
ALO8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have that same exact Spill-Free Funnel.
Do you rev your engine to 3k rpm constant or up and down for 10 min...go you have heater on?
Old 05-04-2016, 12:51 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by ALO8
i have that same exact Spill-Free Funnel.
Do you rev your engine to 3k rpm constant or up and down for 10 min...go you have heater on?
yes, i do just as the FSM states.....and i was golden, didnt need to fill up or repeat any steps like the FSM ask you too....

the reason the FSM ask you to do the 10K RPM and repeat steps adding fluid is because it uses the 10k rpms to heat up the engine and the speed from teh belts to turn the pump and force coolant to cycle....if there isnt enough coolant to cycle and more is needed the car will start to over heat - you will see this on the gauges and have to stop and "repeat" the steps indicated which are to add fluid and do it again.

my method simply kept from having to multiple fills because having the radiator higher than any other part of the engine fills it.

i thought that "maybe" the extreme angle will yeild too much fluid, but if so, it would dump into the overflow catch reservoir and well, that didnt happen...

i did the Texas twisted sister hill country cruise route with lots of stops and sitting an waiting as well and under texas heat during the nismofiesta.com event this past weekend and i was golden.

-J