Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems
View Poll Results: Does your 350z have paint chips on front?
My 350z paint has had chips since 1000 miles or more
87.94%
1000++ Miles and my 350z is without one single paint chip
12.06%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Paint Chipping on Front

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:15 PM
happypants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Clear Bra

Originally posted by SquadElite
Does anyone have an idea of how much it costs for the 3M ClearBra and Installation charges? I want to get fully protected before I drive from Chicago To Denver!
Thanks, theres to many truck drivers I wont be able to avoid...I REALLY DONT WANT TO LOSE MY MIND IF I SEE A TINY CHIP, CAUSE TRUST ME I WILL!!!!
Check out this thread, I had the install done back in May. Thread has pricing and installer info.

When it was installed my car had over 1500 miles, no rock chips.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=28918
Old 09-07-2003, 01:52 PM
desiree27

My Z has 2900 miles, Redline color. Dont get me wrong I love the car, but every time I get out of it I am afraid to look at the paint. Each time I wash it or take a good look I find something new. I dont know if its the color that makes it more pronounced but I have used half a bottle of touch up paint, which in itself is terrible.
When I returned my Honda on a lease after 3 years it had 10 dings, not gauges or missing paint like my Z. At this rate I will have to have the whole car repainted in less than 2 years. It is definately a bad paint job. And dont get me started on those "decals" they put on the rear quarter panels. Had to have one replaced due to peeling after the first month, and am know seeing that dirt and grim get underneath them, it looks terrible.
But all I get in response is "Shouldnt of bought a first year run car".
Old 09-17-2003, 11:33 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it makes any difference, at least you guys are not alone, ever since the EPA mandated all car manufacturers that sell cars in the US to switch over to water-based paints from solvent-based paints by Y2K to reduce airborn polutants http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/es/etb/cetc/c...paints_e.html, every car maker has had paint problems to more or less a degree. Check bimmerfest.com or audiworld.com for similar complaints. Maxima owners have had this problem for a while since they were using water-based paints on them since the mid ninties, they even bragged about it in their brochure. In time, car makes will refine thier process, as they did when they switched from lead-based to solvent-based paints, but for now we will all be stuck with paint jobs that are much weaker than they were in the past.

If anyone has any questions about paint protection film, feel free to drop us a line!
Jeremy
Invisiguard@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-18-2003, 04:27 AM
supirio

I need to find a shop that will illegally use a non-waterbased paint so its nice and solid!

Originally posted by krinkov
if it makes any difference, at least you guys are not alone, ever since the EPA mandated all car manufacturers that sell cars in the US to switch over to water-based paints from solvent-based paints by Y2K to reduce airborn polutants http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/es/etb/cetc/c...paints_e.html, every car maker has had paint problems to more or less a degree. Check bimmerfest.com or audiworld.com for similar complaints. Maxima owners have had this problem for a while since they were using water-based paints on them since the mid ninties, they even bragged about it in their brochure. In time, car makes will refine thier process, as they did when they switched from lead-based to solvent-based paints, but for now we will all be stuck with paint jobs that are much weaker than they were in the past.

If anyone has any questions about paint protection film, feel free to drop us a line!
Jeremy
Invisiguard@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-18-2003, 04:36 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't use a Nissan delaership to have any body work or painting done...they really gave me a crappy job, and I am stuck now with my Z sitting in the garage for the next few weeks to allow proper curing on the clearcoat so that the entire car can be wet sanded and buffed...I have never seen so much orange peel in a paint job, and my factory job was 50 times better than this...even the body shop manager agreed it was bad, and had no problem trying to make it tolerable. So, I am counting on a good end result in a few weeks, but I am forced to be patient, like it or not...

After the wet sand/buffing is completed, I will be applying a few coats of Zaino, and taking the car for a clearbra (Xpel or Stongard) install. After all of this, I will be able to drive like normal again....its tough going from driving a 350z everyday to driving a Nissan Pathfinder (0 to 60 sometime today)...I want my baby back !
Old 09-18-2003, 04:40 AM
supirio

0-60 tomorrow on my 95 camry!! I was going to take it to the recommended nissan body shop but now I'm leaning towards going to my old guy that did all my previous work, he got my arctic blue pearl perfect on my RSX-S so I think I'm going to give him a shot again!

Originally posted by onecoolee
Don't use a Nissan delaership to have any body work or painting done...they really gave me a crappy job, and I am stuck now with my Z sitting in the garage for the next few weeks to allow proper curing on the clearcoat so that the entire car can be wet sanded and buffed...I have never seen so much orange peel in a paint job, and my factory job was 50 times better than this...even the body shop manager agreed it was bad, and had no problem trying to make it tolerable. So, I am counting on a good end result in a few weeks, but I am forced to be patient, like it or not...

After the wet sand/buffing is completed, I will be applying a few coats of Zaino, and taking the car for a clearbra (Xpel or Stongard) install. After all of this, I will be able to drive like normal again....its tough going from driving a 350z everyday to driving a Nissan Pathfinder (0 to 60 sometime today)...I want my baby back !
Old 09-18-2003, 05:03 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. If you do end up at the Nissan dealership, like I was forced to, due to insurance reasons, you may end up having to buy a bunch of 2000 grit paper, and a nice orbital buffer, plus some 3m shop polish, you will probably end up with a good job, but not without effort.

Its kind of funny, the body shop manager told me that the kind of finish I expected wasn't possible without hand sanding for 2 weeks and buffing until my eyeballs popped out. I would love to have 5-6 coats of clear and start sanding, but I don't have a spare 2 weeks to spend sanding a car that was paid for to be painted properly to begin with...

The bottom line is, you have to pay for a good paint job, and typically, to paint an entire car will cost $3-5k for a great job. I wouldn't imagine that the Maaco Ambassador $200 paint job advertised on tv would be a very good job. You still get what you pay for these days...and if you have a good, and reliable paint shop, use them !