Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ready to buy my 350Z but weary!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 09:02 PM
350ZX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to buy my 350Z but weary!

From all the posts in here I fear to tread on Z waters. I am inclined to ask should I wait till 04' 350Z or go ahead and buy it now?

Does any one regret getting the Z now from what you know with all the problems from feathering, grease windows, rattles etc...?
Blast Renualt!??

-Stan

/Pending Silverstone purchase
Old 04-22-2003, 03:24 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Ready to buy my 350Z but weary!
Why are you tired?

The term is "leary".

As for regrets, none. I will continue to say I can't see, though, how the window streaks get so much hype. It is a very minor issue to me. My last car had the same issue (GTP), and to this day does. Never really bothered me then, either, although I will say that car's streaks were farther forward and less in the line of sight to the mirror.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:39 AM
YourMomma

I smile from ear to ear every time I drive my Z even though there are issues. I don't regret buying this car at all b/c its such a blast to drive.

Problems I have
- Window Grease
- Tire Feathering
- Weird sqeal when under throttle.

Go test drive one, you'll see that these problems aren't enough to stop you from wanting one.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:05 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go buy the car.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:32 AM
WashUJon

What's to be leary about? The problems you see here are far from universal. This is the place for people to solve issues and find fixes. They are going to list problems. The people who have no problems aren't likely to say so because there's no incentive to bother with that...
Old 04-22-2003, 11:22 AM
jrstren

Smile

I think he meant "wary", and isn't "leary" really spelled "leery"? Then again, what the hell do I know???

I decided to wait for the 2004. But even then, it's always going to be hard to tell any long-term problems the car may have. I figured that the 2004 model will have at least a FEW of the small problems worked out, and so for me, the trade-off was worth it. Most others on this forum would probably disagree. It's just a personal choice I guess...
Old 04-22-2003, 11:33 AM
350ZX

Thanks for all the input I really needed to hear some encouraging things.
I have alreadr test driven the 350 and I must say it is a great car but I was a little nervous about reading the issues in this forum. Nevertheless I will wait till 04'.

-Stan
Old 04-22-2003, 11:53 AM
jrstren

Default I WIN!!!

j/k

Old 04-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Welsh 350Z N

I don't regret a thing. My car is perfect - no problems. Maybe I'm lucky but I would buy it now if I were you. People always focus on the negatives and sharing that kind of information is very useful to us all but sometimes it creates a biases impression. You should look at all the great, positive comments people have posted about how much they love the 350Z.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:36 PM
jrstren

Default one other thought...

If you buy a 2003 now, you may get a deal that will be unavailable on the 2004s until a year from now (if ever).
Old 04-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

I picked up my car in mid November and love every minute I get to drive it. Buy the car now. Think of all the fun you'll have immediatley.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:47 AM
hypercore

[i]
I decided to wait for the 2004. But even then, it's always going to be hard to tell any long-term problems the car may have. I figured that the 2004 model will have at least a FEW of the small problems worked out, and so for me, the trade-off was worth it. Most others on this forum would probably disagree. It's just a personal choice I guess... [/B]
---

Fully agree with your assesment and I am also going with the '04 unless that is the Toyota Supra design turns out to be worthwhile, but we'll have to wait till about October of this year to find out what it will look like and see what the price will be.

It too (Supra) may have similar "issues" as the Z, since its going to be the first year model, but then again it is a Toyota. Just to be clear, I mean that Toyota is the number one selling call in the U.S. not by chance, but by the simple fact that they build better cars than justa about any one else for the mass market. Don't know what that will mean in terms of the "new" Supra, but lets just wait and see. Having patience has its rewards.

Last edited by hypercore; 05-12-2003 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:07 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by hypercore
---

Just to be clear, I mean that Toyota is the number one selling call in the U.S. not by chance, but by the simple fact that they build better cars than justa about any one else for the mass market.
I think you should check your numbers again. GM and Ford both sell more than 2x Toyota/Lexus's numbers.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:12 PM
del105
15 f125

Do Not buy a 350z!!! They are pieces of crap. I used to love this car, but not I have been unable to drive it for a over a month. While I wait for another transmission ( 5000 miles on car) I have numerous rattles, my tires are wearing out alreadry , and my controller arms pop when I take turns at high speeds. This has the quality og a yugo, imo.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:48 PM
itinkle

Default GM and Ford?!!?

I was just going to read postings and not reply, but this one caught my attention. I do believe that the Toyota Corolla is the #1 selling car in the world. When you say you own a Toyota or a Lexus, you have the luxary of knowing you own a quality car. Say you own a corolla, a supra, any lexus and you got a quality car. GM and Ford may sell more with all their models combined, but there are a lot of people who don't know jack about quality. Toyota is all about quality, GM and ford wish they could say the same

Originally posted by MannishBoy
I think you should check your numbers again. GM and Ford both sell more than 2x Toyota/Lexus's numbers.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:28 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

That wasn't what he said, though. He didn't cite a certain model, and he didn't talk about world sales. He said "Toyota is the number one selling call in the U.S. not by chance, but by the simple fact that they build better cars than justa about any one else for the mass market." He didn't go to specific models, etc, and he didn't say in the world.

As for the logic involved, he was saying that since Toyota sold more than anybody else in the US (wrong) it was because they had the highest quality (if the first part is wrong, what does it say about the second?)

As for GM and Ford not knowing how to build good cars, it just isn't true anymore. Just look at initial quality rankings here. Yes, Lexus ranks the best, but before you get down to Toyota, you have two GM brands and a Ford brand. Also notice Nissan down there below average.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:53 AM
350ZX

Default blast

I just checked out the Infiniti G35 coupe hmmm not bad.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:11 AM
itinkle

Default the gm/ford/toyota/lexus thing

thanks for the link. I didn't realize what kind of company toyota and lexus are among. Surrounded by BMW and Jaguar, wow. Ford surrounded by Dodge and Chrysler...hahhahahah. Nissan wasn't part of this conversation, but if you wan to include them, they aren't far off from Ford.

The argument about Ford not building good cars is over. Lexus/toyota are far above the industry average. The same cannot be said about Ford. Maybe Ford has come a long way, but even if they were last and bumped up to sub par, that still doesn't make the cut.

Sorry I wanted to write something and I didn't read super carefully, but I know what company's offer the quality long before this chart was seen.

Originally posted by MannishBoy
That wasn't what he said, though. He didn't cite a certain model, and he didn't talk about world sales. He said "Toyota is the number one selling call in the U.S. not by chance, but by the simple fact that they build better cars than justa about any one else for the mass market." He didn't go to specific models, etc, and he didn't say in the world.

As for the logic involved, he was saying that since Toyota sold more than anybody else in the US (wrong) it was because they had the highest quality (if the first part is wrong, what does it say about the second?)

As for GM and Ford not knowing how to build good cars, it just isn't true anymore. Just look at initial quality rankings here. Yes, Lexus ranks the best, but before you get down to Toyota, you have two GM brands and a Ford brand. Also notice Nissan down there below average.