Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rattle from tranny when car not in gear and clutch out

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 10:28 AM
DrFlsgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

500 miles on the new trany & clutch. Everything seems to be working fine, the rattle disappeared, and everything appears to be running just fine! I'm satisfied with the fix.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:09 AM
xxlbeerZ

Just bought a 2005 enthusiast, I have that noise with less than 150 miles. Also, on low speed, low RPM shifts, my 1st to 2nd shift grinded a couple of times and I get a definite clunk when I go into second.

This sucks because the Z is gonna be my daily driver, I can't replace the transmission every 6 months!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:19 PM
silverstoneTT

I have a 2003 with 25000 that just got a new transmission. the rattle that used to be there when the clutch wasnt pressed down is now gone. now the car looks and sounds good from the outside!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:54 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my transmission made this sound when the car was stock. eventually around 15,000 miles 5th gear started grinding no matter what.

they replaced the trans.

sound was still there.

installed a JWT clutch and flywheel

sound got way louder.

its still way louder and i ****in hate it.

from beating on the car ALLLL the time since the turbo install over 13,000 miles ago... I have earned an inconsistent 6th gear grind. Otherwise the trans drives and races like a dream.

I am pulling my engine out in 2 weeks or so to swap in the fully built one. While this is in process I am taking my trans to the race shop that does all my trans building and crossing my fingers that he will find the problem and fix it so I can have peace and quiet with my new engine.

I hate all the sounds of this car. The trans sound is the real killer. My 1000cc injectors sound like my valve clearance is at .100". My ****in steering rack clunks. I have had 2 ball joints already go out making clunking sounds. My god damn axles click all over the place. My rear view mirror rattles around every little bump in the road (gonna take it apart and superglue it together so it STFU), and now something up front under the dash under the defrost vents is rattling. WTF?!?!

So annoying to have such an expensive car with so much hard work into it sound like such a POS all the time. But, boy, does she haul ***.

-Charles

Last edited by phunk; 11-05-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Rookie84

I also have this problem... my car is 03.5 G35 Coupe 6MT with 22k miles. The sound is exactly same as the one in the video. I think I will bring it into the dealer when I have time... It sucks to hear a noise like this coming from a damn $37k car.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:25 PM
350ROB

I have a 2005 Enthusiast with a build date 9/04, 1100 miles
I am getting the rattling with the clutch out. It sounds just like the mpeg clip.

It doesnt bother me enough to take action yet but I am considering it.

What really pisses me off is I have an 05 and the problem originating from 2003 is still not solved! WTF?
Old 01-22-2005, 03:46 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by 350ROB
I have a 2005 Enthusiast with a build date 9/04, 1100 miles
I am getting the rattling with the clutch out. It sounds just like the mpeg clip.

It doesnt bother me enough to take action yet but I am considering it.

What really pisses me off is I have an 05 and the problem originating from 2003 is still not solved! WTF?
The reason why Nissan hasn't changed anything about the rattle is probably because they don't see it as a problem. Just as many others on this tread of states mostly all 350Zs have the same exact rattle, which by the way goes away after the engine is fully warmed.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:09 AM
Papaloopappy

Default Re: Rattle from tranny when car not in gear and clutch out

Originally posted by mdracer76
I was wondering if anyne else may have this issue:

My Z has 3700 miles and a 6spd manual trans.

When I pull into my garage, I put the car in neutral, with the car stopped, I release the clutch, and viola... a grinding noise from the engine area. I push the clutch in... and it goes away.

It does not occur all of the time... that is what concerns me. I totally baby the car when I drive it (I dont race it).

If anyone else has noticed this and raised this concern to their dealer please let me know. If there has been a Technical Service Bulliten for this could you please post a link to it, so I can download it.

Thanks in advance.... Other than that the car is PERFECT!
Good luck. My 2005 had 500 miles on it when I was told it came out of the factory with a bad trans/clutch. Been in over 2 weeks now! Ridiculous!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:57 PM
black_04

Ok, i havent heard anyone say this yet but my car has 5500 miles on it and i to hear the rattling noise in neutral and clutch out but only after she warms up. the exhaust is also backfiring a little at idle u can hear it missing or something, i drove it around the block to warm it up then came back in my garage and noticed it was idling at 400-500rpm im just wondering if thats normal? it seems a little low to me im thinking it should be idling at around 800 or so. Let me know what you guys think of my idling theory im just taking a guess at it since everyone has this problem mostly when the car is warmed up...maybe everyones idles low im not to sure let me know though. thanks
Old 02-12-2005, 04:21 PM
FLZ_Boy

I have the same clutch noise, since I bought my Z. Unless my tranny starts grinding, than I'll take it in.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:23 PM
jchen1020

My noise is terrible. I already replaced 2 transmission, I would like to perhaps have someone fix it right this time. I hope the Nissan dealer will take care of it. I will go see them tomorrow
Old 02-23-2005, 06:30 AM
SunsetZ33

My 03 Z makes this noise too.
I haven't taken it in yet, I fugure the dealer will just blow it off.

My wifes 03 Miata had exactly the same noise, Mazda replaced the clutch and the noise is gone. Mazda said it was NOT a normal noise!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 06:41 PM
hyuk81

Default Same problem...

I had my tranny replaced around 3-4 months ago.. and right after I got it replaced I noticed the same sound the same day... I was told that it was the design of the transmission... but if that was true then wouldn't it do it on all the transmissions? (prolly) then I was told that when nissan replaces the transmission they are "supposed" to change the throw out bearing, but most of them don't... so I think that maybe this can be the problem... don't you think? what I would like to know is those of you who got your tranny's replaced and the noise went away was your throw out bearing replaced? and for those who got their tranny's replaced and the noise didn't go away did the dealership replace the throw out bearing? well... maybe you won't know... because if you asked your dealer they would prolly just say they replaced it... I'm gonna take my car to a different dealership because my friend just got a job there so if they try to screw me over they know my friend will tell me...
Old 03-30-2005, 04:49 PM
DrFlsgood

Smile Clutch Rattle

Had the same problem with my 04 Track. Took it to the dealer,and they heard the same noise...replaced the clutch and throw out bearing and the niose disappeared, seems the noise is comming from the clutch plate springs. Replacement was covered under warranty.

by the way the clutch AND Tranny were replaced at the same time!

Last edited by DrFlsgood; 03-30-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:14 AM
projectmrod

same problem here. i got a new tranny but i dont think they replaced the clutch. i can still faintly hear the same rattle sound but its definatly not as loud as before. would replacing the clutch get rid of the noise altogether??
Old 04-02-2005, 01:01 PM
DrFlsgood

It would definetly be worth discussing it with your dealer/repair shop
Old 04-02-2005, 01:41 PM
hyuk81

I had my tranny replaced and the day I got it back I still noticed the rattle sound... and the dearlership said that they even gave me the new redsigned tranny... and I noticed that they gave me a new clutch... but I didn't see on the RO (Repair Order) anything about a new throw-out bearing... I was told that the only things that would make that noise under the same conditions is a pilot bearing or throw out bearing.. I was told this by my transmission teacher... if I don't take my car to the dealer soon I might actually let my transmission teacher take a look at it...
Old 04-08-2005, 10:57 AM
SC-Z

I bought my 03- 350z less than a week ago and starting to hear this problem also. It only happens when it is in neutral. The car has a certified 100,000 powertrain warranty. You guys think it'll cover this?

Ray
Old 04-08-2005, 12:04 PM
hyuk81

Definitely... I'm getting mine fixed right now... so I'll post what they did...
Old 04-08-2005, 03:56 PM
DrFlsgood

Good luck with the repair, I've got 2500 miles since my fix and so far...so good. The dealer was really good about the fix. I took some of these threads with me to show the service manager, and I think it helped. (let him know you weren't blowing smoke)

Quick Reply: Rattle from tranny when car not in gear and clutch out