MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Sputtering During Warm-up (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/307878-sputtering-during-warm-up.html)

Ataru074 07-17-2008 07:01 PM

damn! looks like we'll have a good reason to reflash! :D

108NismoZ 07-21-2008 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ataru074
damn! looks like we'll have a good reason to reflash! :D

true

update: all last week no issue. no insane bucking or anything. hopefully i won't be wrong and it start up sometime later. but so far so good.

stylett9 07-21-2008 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 108NismoZ
true

update: all last week no issue. no insane bucking or anything. hopefully i won't be wrong and it start up sometime later. but so far so good.

man....

definately keep us posted on pro-longed driving and if it ever comes back. If a reflash solved your issue, i wonder what is it about the tuning that is not right... and why it's not consistant with ALL z's.

Ataru074 07-21-2008 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by stylett9
man....

definately keep us posted on pro-longed driving and if it ever comes back. If a reflash solved your issue, i wonder what is it about the tuning that is not right... and why it's not consistant with ALL z's.

what I'd like to see... if he's going to do it once... is a dyno sheet with the A/F ratio. from really low rpms...
just to compare with what we have right now... the best could be also the timing map.. but ok.. enough.

I'm surprised that profink still has the problem with the technosquare reflash.. and he hasn't with the AAM (they should be the same... unless AAM has personal specs for that.)

108NismoZ 07-21-2008 02:49 PM

what I'd like to see... if he's going to do it once... is a dyno sheet with the A/F ratio. from really low rpms...
just to compare with what we have right now... the best could be also the timing map.. but ok.. enough.

I'm surprised that profink still has the problem with the technosquare reflash.. and he hasn't with the AAM (they should be the same... unless AAM has personal specs for that.)

don't have the before dyno sheets yet don't know why but here is after

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...dynosheet2.jpg

Sick Z 07-21-2008 04:43 PM

I wanted to add that I also have this same issue, I just been dealing with it. Eventually Nissan will have to catch on to it, just like the slave cylinder recall. But it did start occuring around Decemberish.

evil_tt 07-25-2008 08:17 AM

18 days spudder free here!

Sick Z 07-25-2008 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by evil_tt
18 days spudder free here!

What did you do? THe iso heat?

evil_tt 07-25-2008 08:39 AM

I changed my oil to sythetic Lucas w/ 1 quart of synthetic oil stablizer, ran around for about 6K (made the spuddering alittle worse) and recently changed back to synthetic castrol about 3 weeks ago and haven't had a spudder since. This was a daily issue but so far the engine note will change when its warming up and when it usually would start spuddering it just stops now.

108NismoZ 07-27-2008 06:30 AM

so far so good for me since the flash. i'm hoping this isn't a weather related thing like when the temperatures start getting colder.. :dunno: but i thought we already ruled that out so who knows.

Ataru074 08-06-2008 05:59 AM

oil change (the usual castrol 5W50 syntetic) and a track day... since the track day no more sputtering
looks like also driving the shaize out of the car works pretty well!!!! :D

10 days so far w/o sputtering

stylett9 08-07-2008 09:56 PM

oil change (the usual castrol 5W50 syntetic) and a track day... since the track day no more sputtering
looks like also driving the shaize out of the car works pretty well!!!! :D

10 days so far w/o sputtering

you serious? You drove the piss out of it and it never came back? Guess i better go hit up the canyons..

Ataru074 08-08-2008 07:03 AM

you serious? You drove the piss out of it and it never came back? Guess i better go hit up the canyons..

I'm damn serious... I noticed something really subtle this morning.. but we are talking 2000+ miles AFTER my track day (I had a 1200 miles roadtrip in the middle :icon21:)
I can also prove it.. I was testing my new camcorder this morning recording my drive to work (actually I was testing how it will work to record track events :thumbup:)

Ex2cinaZ 08-09-2008 09:28 AM

I still have the issue after my flash. :(

Tac-M 08-09-2008 12:56 PM

^ wut oil do you use ?

Ex2cinaZ 08-11-2008 10:16 AM

I have tried Royal Purple 5-30 (I change oil every 750 miles becasue im compulsive) Then switched to Motul 300v chromo 5-30 did that 3 times... now i'm on mobil1 euroblend 5-30 :dunno:

Tac-M 08-11-2008 09:18 PM

http://content.pyzam.com/funnypics/0/pyzamOmgWtf.jpg

stylett9 08-15-2008 08:19 AM

Interesting morning so far.

I’ve been in the process with talking to a lemon law attorney and he’s helping me build my case since I’m so sick of this. He told me that I’ve definitely brought the car in enough times, but what I need to do is drive the car with the tech and make them acknowledge the problem. So I take my car in this morning and I demonstrate the issue for the technician. And right off the bat he gets all cranky because he knows he’s not going to be able to find the problem since there’s no check engine lights and he’s got no idea. Anyways, as I tell the service writer that I want the service write up to specifically say “technician acknowledges issue”, the service writer is like “well the tech said he only felt it once and that you were lugging through your gears.” Instantly I got really mad because from what he is saying, are we not suppose to drive our 350z’s economically? Jeeez!!!! Anyhow, that’s my rant for the morning and I hope I’m finished with this nonsense soon. It’s not like I was shifting 200 RPM’s above idle, I was still taking the car up to 2200 RPM’s.

has anyone else had ANY luck with the dealership being cooperative?

Ataru074 08-18-2008 02:25 AM

another track day... several thousand miles... no more sputtering.

evil_tt 08-18-2008 11:52 AM

I’ve been in the process with talking to a lemon law attorney and he’s helping me build my case since I’m so sick of this. He told me that I’ve definitely brought the car in enough times, but what I need to do is drive the car with the tech and make them acknowledge the problem. So I take my car in this morning and I demonstrate the issue for the technician. And right off the bat he gets all cranky because he knows he’s not going to be able to find the problem since there’s no check engine lights and he’s got no idea. Anyways, as I tell the service writer that I want the service write up to specifically say “technician acknowledges issue”, the service writer is like “well the tech said he only felt it once and that you were lugging through your gears.” Instantly I got really mad because from what he is saying, are we not suppose to drive our 350z’s economically? Jeeez!!!! Anyhow, that’s my rant for the morning and I hope I’m finished with this nonsense soon. It’s not like I was shifting 200 RPM’s above idle, I was still taking the car up to 2200 RPM’s.

Ya, speak to the GM "or" write the BBB. The BBB esclated my issue with EZ lube and they kissed my black as* after that!

FantomZ 08-18-2008 05:58 PM

I took it to the dealership and they said if there is no check engine light, there is nothing they can do and pretty much nothing is wrong.:mad:

Ataru074 08-20-2008 02:05 PM

you know... at this point I'm wondering if it's caused by some sludge coming from the EGR...
somebody changed oil and solved.. I drove the **** out of the car and solved... somebody remapped and solved....
I'd like to put a catch can and see what the hell is coming back to the intake....

Tac-M 09-03-2008 07:29 PM

any updates ? !!!!!!!

stylett9 09-04-2008 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tac-M
any updates ? !!!!!!!

of course not. Even if a dealership does "experiance" the problem, they won't want to fix it cause they have no idea where to start....

atleast that's what the tech that drove with me said...

Tac-M 09-04-2008 10:02 AM

nice. what i was told by a service tech is that it is not necessary a problem, what is happening is the a/f map and timing switches from warm-up to normal mode. and there is really nothing that can be done to make it smoother. what i don't understand is why it happens only to some of the cars and not since day 1.

Ataru074 09-04-2008 01:37 PM

still running smooth having a track day every 2 weeks....

stylett9 09-05-2008 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tac-M
nice. what i was told by a service tech is that it is not necessary a problem, what is happening is the a/f map and timing switches from warm-up to normal mode. and there is really nothing that can be done to make it smoother. what i don't understand is why it happens only to some of the cars and not since day 1.

that's the same thing my dealer suspected in one of my long posts further back. It IS a problem, and my dealer tried to fix it by replacing my air/fuel sensors and it did not fix it. Basically thought because of my intakes, my car was running to lean and that putting the stock intakes and replacing the sensors would fix it.. But it didn't fix it.

*sigh*

ADMAN 09-11-2008 02:48 PM

I'll just throw this out there since I was having a similar problem after going FI:

I would buck in the mornings. But, it would go away later in the day - say my second or third trip. Each time, I noticed I was pretty low on petrol.

The last time, I bucked all the way to the gas station. I filled up. The bucking went away. Granted, I don't know if it was because the car was full and happy. Or, because I gave it more time to warm up - since I usually don't turn off my engine when I fill up. :) Or, because I removed my gas cap somewhere in the middle of tracking all of this crap.

My two cents...

Tac-M 09-11-2008 07:07 PM

^ i see, so all of us are low on gas all the time....

stylett9 09-26-2008 11:16 AM

Nissan N/A denied my lemon law case. I guess it wasn't justified because the issue doesn't comprimise the safety and reliability of the vehicle.....I was a little frustrated with this but i did get $4,000.00 cash settlement for my inconvenience. So everyone go sue them and get cash settlements. Maybe if enough people do it they'll realize "hey, maybe there really is a problem."

Tac-M 09-26-2008 06:33 PM

ok what ? ! ? i can see that this is a little problem, but taking 4k from nissan for this ? lemon law ?

i mean we are talking about a switch between a/f maps on a high performance engine here... this is not a caddy that meant to be smooth and polite, this is a race car...

so thanks, but no thanks... if we all sue everyone, we will have NOTHIG !

stylett9 09-30-2008 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tac-M (Post 6353013)
ok what ? ! ? i can see that this is a little problem, but taking 4k from nissan for this ? lemon law ?

i mean we are talking about a switch between a/f maps on a high performance engine here... this is not a caddy that meant to be smooth and polite, this is a race car...

so thanks, but no thanks... if we all sue everyone, we will have NOTHIG !

the switch between A/F maps is a guess by the dealer that I find HIGHLY unlikely. Otherwise ALL Z's would have the problem. I'm guessing right now that it's something transmission related.

While i understand that this is not suppose to be as smooth as a babies butt, the fact that the car drives fine upon first start up, and AFTER teh problem happens, means the problem shouldn't be happening at all. It shouldn't be something that we need to learn to deal with or accept.
I had no say in my law suite against nissan, my lawyer just called me last week and told me they are giving me cash settlement so i said ok. If it were up to me, i would sue them for more. Not because i'm a greedy southern california resident(we are known for being law suite happy) but again, because this IS a problem with our car that is not being given enough attention from Nissan to fix.

ADMAN 10-01-2008 10:32 AM

So, that's it? Give you cash and ignore the problem? That was their solution, Huh?

stylett9 10-02-2008 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ADMAN (Post 6370780)
So, that's it? Give you cash and ignore the problem? That was their solution, Huh?

yep, that was their solution. I'm not longer legally allowed to make any more claims on the matter except through standard warrenty work. But seings to how i've made 6 trips to the dealer on this matter already with nothing but "cannot dupilicate" i doubt i'll even waste my time anymore. Hopefully someone else gets this figured out.

I'm still pretty convinced the issue lies within the transmission somewhere though. My friend who is a mercedes service writer said "it could be an uneven pressure plate, and you aren't feeling the issue until the metal heats up and expands." What i cannot explain though is why it goes away.

ANother reason why i believe its in the transmission somewhere is because if you ever experiance the problem while shifting gears, you can feel the lapse of the clutch gripping as the "stutter" happens, then the clutch grips and lurches you forward, resulting in the jolting motion, the clutch grips, then does, then grips, then doesnt.

I dunno, just all theory at this point since i'm not a mechanic.

Tac-M 10-03-2008 04:53 AM

it is not trasmission.

J. Dub 10-03-2008 01:11 PM

For the first time I had the same problem. I literally though the minvan behind me lightly tapped my car in the rear 3 times.
I have an auto 2006.

35k miles.

It was 53 degrees out this morning.

ADMAN 10-03-2008 05:56 PM

AUTO??? Hmp. Everyone else is MT. Interesting... :dunno:

J. Dub 10-03-2008 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ADMAN (Post 6381300)
AUTO??? Hmp. Everyone else is MT. Interesting... :dunno:

ya, oddly enough. I was in D too. Not the stick feature. I'll continue to monitor. This was the first time that it was this cold since last year. I've only had the car for a month.

stylett9 10-03-2008 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tac-M (Post 6378706)
it is not trasmission.

you are absolutey right. I proved myself wrong today. :icon43:

I was sitting at a stop light, and the light turned green. I started to go and my *sputtering* kicked in. The light turned red so i had to stop. While i was sitting there i slowly started to rev my engine up and down between idle and 2k. With the car in neutral and slow reving up to 1800ish, i would try to hold the revs but the engine started *sputtering* and i couldn't hold 1800 steady. It would drop up and down by itself along with the slight engine noise difference.

This is the first time I've experianced the problem just by reving.(not that i've tried many times before..)

Tac-M 10-04-2008 11:32 AM

we need is a complete log from a problem car, and a complete log from a normal car.

only by analyzing the data we can see what is going on.

J. Dub 10-04-2008 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tac-M (Post 6383095)
we need is a complete log from a problem car, and a complete log from a normal car.

only by analyzing the data we can see what is going on.

Yes, that is a good idea Tac.

Tac-M 11-03-2008 09:09 AM

ok, finally ! P0 300 - aka - random misfire... thoughts ?

edit - produced by just keeping it around 2-3k in neutral during the " occurrence "

Tac-M 11-03-2008 10:27 AM

fuel pressure regulator?

stylett9 11-03-2008 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tac-M (Post 6508738)
fuel pressure regulator?

no idea what your talking about but a fuel related problem sounds very probable. Good luck with this one and keep us posted.

Mansmind 11-04-2008 06:27 AM

Agree that it is fuel related... and/or a signal foul-up somewhere. To me it seems to be at a specific throttle position which also makes me wonder (still) about the throttle position sensor sending some weird signals at a certain point.

JZK 11-11-2008 01:53 AM

Hey what rpm is your idle set at? Im talking about a warm start, not a cold start.

stylett9 11-11-2008 01:18 PM

750-800

JZK 11-11-2008 03:31 PM

Hmm, my car idles roughly at about 900 rpms, what about everyone else's rpm? Im trying to see if this is normal or not. This is without a/c

JZK 11-11-2008 03:38 PM

Hmm, my car idles roughly at about 900 rpms, what about everyone else's rpm? Im trying to see if this is normal or not. This is without a/c

IGoFast1589 11-11-2008 05:08 PM

So this is happening to 07/08's and even a few 06's? This is ridiculous....