MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Fix this gap? (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/340209-fix-this-gap.html)

playa6tnine 03-01-2008 06:46 AM

Fix this gap?

5 Attachment(s)
these has been frustrating me for a while. A long time ago when my car was hit in a parking lot, a shop replaced the hood, bumper, and passenger fender.

I've always had this gap on the passenger side headlight since then. it is between the headlight and the hood. i was wondering if anyone knew what i could adjust to fix it. the gap doesnt look too big in the pics, but it is big enough to stick my fingers in it.

any idea?

*photo #2 is a pic of the driver's side to compare to the gap of the passenger side

HondaKiller 03-01-2008 07:16 AM

Setting a hood can be difficult. The flaw there could be anything from the way the fender, bumper or hood is set. All 3 pieces would have to be lined up perfect for things to fit together. Even know the problem is isolated toward the inside of the headlight doesnt matter. Warpage of the hood may be possible also.

Removing the hood and retighting the lift mechanism may help but i have a feeling the problem is in conjuction with the other pieces they replaced. I would have to see it in person to really be able to tell, but the gap is probably more than just the hood. Doesn't look too bad in the scheme of things but understandable. I would have taken it back as soon as i noticed it. Sorry brother.

Eazzy 03-01-2008 07:33 AM

Alignment is not an exact science. You have to have an eye for the overall. Check comparative location of both the lights. There is adjustment if you loosen the 4 bolts holding them in place. If you have to shim to bring one up to elevation, do it.

Same with the hood. Check the margin on both sides, from the windshield to the bumper with it closed. There is some adjustment by loosening the bolts.

There are many times, I will just grasp the open hood and give it a good yank in the direction of a wider margin. If you take your time and view the overall, it will come together.

If you have a wide margin on one side, but a perfect one on the other, you have to dig deeper.....Are your fenders where they should be ?

Eazzy 03-01-2008 07:39 AM

BTW ---Looks to me that the hood is just a tad too far forward....little things like that can make for an accumulative error....In other words, a small mis adjustment at point "A" can increase dramatically at point "B"

playa6tnine 03-05-2008 04:02 PM

cool guys, might take it to another shop to get some opinions. do you guys think it is worth it for me to mess around with the fender, bumper and hood myself

Eazzy 03-11-2008 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by playa6tnine
do you guys think it is worth it for me to mess around with the fender, bumper and hood myself

That was the reason I went into detail----I wasn't giving instructions to the Body Shop