MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Ignition Coil Problem? (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/355659-ignition-coil-problem.html)

Z-MIKE-GO 04-29-2008 06:54 AM

Ignition Coil Problem?

Just last night and this morning after letting warm up for a few minutes...the car starting misfiring, hesitating, or something under hard acceleration. It made a noise like detonation (sounded like a pop). I just recently put new plugs in it but made sure they were gapped like the factory ones, which were at .045...I was assuming this was the proper gap. I believe it might be a bad ignition coil. It does it for a little while then regains power for a little while,etc. Mainly does it under hard acceleration. Has never done it before...even for the month or two after installing the new plugs. No engine codes come up. Or could it be an injector gone bad?
Only mods are a JWT pop charger, throttle body spacer, and pulse plugs. Please help!!!

Z-MIKE-GO 04-29-2008 04:04 PM

Also the exhaust has a burnt smell after all this happened.

Cannysage 04-29-2008 04:20 PM

i had the exact same problem :( misfires, hesitation under heavy acceleration, loud pops. I initially had aftermarket ignition coils - which were worthless, then went back to factory coils and a new tune. problem was gone. make sure your tracking control is off when you diagnose the symptoms.

Z-MIKE-GO 04-29-2008 06:31 PM

It happened with the traction control off...check. Where did you get the OEM coils from and how much for all 6. I need some asap!

Z-MIKE-GO 05-01-2008 05:48 PM

any other opinions?

jray8 05-02-2008 06:05 AM

under hard acceleration, could be the coil, clogged injector, maf sensor, its long list man, easiest way to check the coils is to pull them off the plug with the engine running one at a time and if there is a noticeable difference when removed, then that coil is good(i believe), if there is no change in rpm fluctuations then that coil is the culprit, or you could simply get an ignition system analyzer (or oscilloscope) and a dynamometer to simulate load driving conditions. on my former S2000 the problem was the map sensor, they are notorious for failing on the S. It would drive fine under certain rpms then once above 6k it was like hitting a brick wall, and would also hesitate. but there are so many possibilities, i hate mis-firing, acceleration problems....good luck man, keep us posted

Z-MIKE-GO 05-04-2008 06:32 PM

I changed out the coils with new ones. Still had the problem, but this time it finally threw a code...misfire cyl #3. I figured it must be the new pulse plugs since it was still happening. I just decided to go back with some new OEM NGK plugs. So far it seemed fine when I started it up, but I won't know for sure until I take it to work tonight...keep ya posted

j.arnaldo 05-04-2008 06:43 PM

EGR valve? Throttle body sensor? MAS ("MAF sensor", as they call it in these
threads)? There are a few possibilities. Get some diagnostics done, bro'.

Z-MIKE-GO 05-06-2008 06:32 PM

Turned out I was right and it was the pulse plugs. Everything seems to be working just fine. I'm going to see if I can get a new set or a refund. That really pisses me off because they were $120. They better do something!

Z-MIKE-GO 05-12-2008 06:28 PM

Apparently they had some problems with the first version of the pulse plugs and are going to send the new design with a better insulator and a return shipping label for the old ones. I'm glad they were more than happy to give me a new set...as they should. They have great customer service especially for a new company! Can't wait to put the new ones in...still had to spend $60 for the new stock ones though...anyone one need 2 week old spark plugs?

Gideon1987 05-24-2018 11:15 AM

#3 Coil keeps going...

Sup guys, hope your'e all well!!!

So about 2 weeks ago my Z just started sputtering and didn't want to rev up past 4500rpm and it started misfiring really quickly afterwards...
I started stripping the usual culprits... plugs and even injectors as it happened about 15 minutes after fuelling up...
Started her up and MUCH better, but still misfiring...
Did the rounds of checking if a coil isn't doing it's job by unplugging and connecting 1 by 1...
Found coil #3 is causing misfire.
Replaced coil with a generic "Hugo" coil and it was Purrrrrfect!!!!!
But only for 4 days... Replaced that coil again with another "Hugo"...
It sounded even better than before!!!!!!
Until the next morning when it was just DEAD :suicide:

So Nissan doesn't have immediate stock of a coil and it costs 4x as much as a generic...
I'm eager to just close my eyes and order 1, but I'll be doing all the tests according to Factory Workshop manual this weekend...

I'm pretty sure the generic coils can't handle the heat the engine puts off... Might work perfectly in a Micra or something with less potency, but I believe the windings just loose their ability to hold resistance once they got REALLY hot...
The coils look, feel and weigh much less compared to the real thing, rubbers are softer and stiffer, which would allow more possibilities for foreign contamination and/or short to earth spark...

Exploring the function of the condenser as well this weekend...
Will let you know what the findings are as soon as it's fixed...

No Z owner should have to second guess if a coil is bad... It's a simple fix and diagnoses and if only 1 is at fault, you just replace 1 :icon02::icon32:

zakmartin 05-24-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gideon1987 (Post 10957696)
So Nissan doesn't have immediate stock of a coil and it costs 4x as much as a generic...
I'm eager to just close my eyes and order 1

Like the old saying goes, "Buy once, cry once." Unless you're doing a build, stick with OEM on sensors, coils, plugs, injectors and fluids. :(