Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

rattling/clunking in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 AM
captfantastic76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rattling/clunking in rear?

Hi, everybody. I've had an '07 coupe for about a year and a half.

A few weeks ago, I started getting a rattle or "clunk" noise coming from somewhere in the back only when I hit bumps. There was some play in the spare tire, so I padded it with some foam rubber. But it's still there.

Last winter, I didn't notice this.

Has anyone else had this, especially with an '07? I'm just hoping it's not one of those noises that the dealer will claim not to hear or be chasing down forever.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:07 AM
350z-Jim

I got this and it was one of those spungy things that hold the trunk lid up was broken and not holding up the lid so it was klunking around. It looks like a black rubber thing with a spring in it screwed into the trunk lid near where the struts hook up. I guess they keep some tension on the trunk lid to keep it from klunking.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 AM
captfantastic76

Really? Wow. I think I know the thing you mean. I'll check it out. It would be great (if a little silly) if that's all it is.

Thanks very much!

Kevin
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 AM
fumesdeuce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue, though I replaced the hatch springs, and now am about to replace the gas shocks that hold up the rear hatch.

The dealership is giving me the run around about fixing this issue and I'm on my 4th trip. On trip #3, they had a "team of engineers" come down to checkout the problems that my Z and another Z were having. Now the dealer is "waiting on Nissan to develop a fix" for this issue, while my patience and warranty are running out.

I saw on another thread that someone had the same noise, and it ended up being the bolt on the top of the shock absorber. The dealer said it narrowed it down to that area, but could not actually locate it or stop it from rattling. I'm going to relay the shock absorber bolt info to the dealer this weekend when its serviced again.

Doesn't seem to be a very widespread problem, as there aren't more people on here with the same rattle / noise issue. I guess if its not widespread, Nisssan won't spend the time or dollars to develop a fix for it.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 AM
burner

I have this same problem for awhile now but never thought to look at the hatch springs...It sounded like it was coming from the tires. I will check that out tonight!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:21 AM
captfantastic76

I had the shocks that hold up the hatch replaced and it had NO effect on this noise. The hatch does stay up in the cold weather now, though, which is why I did it.

Keep me posted, please.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 AM
tanabe350z

Originally Posted by captfantastic76
I had the shocks that hold up the hatch replaced and it had NO effect on this noise. The hatch does stay up in the cold weather now, though, which is why I did it.

Keep me posted, please.
back when i had stock exhaust it would rattle a little bit i think it was from the rubber on the exhaust mounts because when i changed them when i did my aftermarket exhaust the rattle went away.

just a thought have them check it out never know what it could be lol.

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 PM
evolved326

I have an 07 and this exact sound jsut started for me too.

Sounds almost like suspension components but it doesnt sound when going up driveways. Only over bumps like you said. Ive checked my spare tire and jack everything is secure.

Anyone else have ideas?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Aavalanche

I had a noise like that after I had my 04 for a while.
with my windows down I could hear it louder.
Turned out to be an exhaust mount bracket lost a nut and was banging around on bumps. I had pushed on the exhaust before but the whole exhaust was stiff and I moved on. Only once I put my hands on the mounting bracket I found the loose one. Luck really I was grabing for something to slide myself out from under the car.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:10 PM
BhashaZ

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...o-enlinks.html

Perhaps?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
burner

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Good info there...I will check that out as well although I don't have an aftermarket sway installed..
Old 01-12-2009, 12:49 PM
captfantastic76

Hmmm. Good ideas. Thanks. I'll check into all these things. I don't have any suspension/sway bar upgrades, just NISMO cat-back.

Let's keep trying....
Old 01-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Sh4dowsLegacy

I have this on an 08... no clue what it is and it gets annoying at times.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 PM
johns350

I have it on my '06 ZR. Ugggg!

Let me ask this - does it sort-of go away in warm/hot weather? For me - the top goes down - unsure if that is the reason I generally don't hear it. But - I swear I do not hear it when the temps go @70+...

Edit: I also have stock suspension. And 2 dealers have looked at it - tightened everything in the suspension - no change. I also 'feel' like it comes from the passenger side bumps more than drivers side or 'both'...

Last edited by johns350; 01-12-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:14 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

08 BAse here, same thing on the left side
Old 01-12-2009, 05:14 PM
burner

Seems like this is a problem on all year Z's...Mine is an 03 and someone said 06 and 08 as well...What the heck is going on here?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:17 PM
rch 2200

Default rattle in rear

I have an 07 350z with 8500 miles. i have a bad rattle in back especially when its cold out. Havent taken it to the dealer yet. but at least im aware of the problem
Old 01-12-2009, 05:37 PM
johns350

Seems like this problem exists accross years and coupes/roadsters. I am betting this is multiple issues as people may be hearing various rattles and/or clunks.

I would describe mine as a 'clunk' - and I have paid enough attention to it to pick up a few very strange anomolies - like - in very very cold and very warm temps it seems like it goes away (or at least minimized). Just a wild a$$ guess - it is something hanging on a rubber hanger - which leads me to the exhaust. But maybe there are other items in similar 'situations'

Not sure - been chasing this for a while. VERY open to suggestions. I was thinking of asking the dealer to R&R the rear shocks/struts to see if that would help/fix.

If anyone nails this noise - please let us all know!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
johns350

Originally Posted by fumesdeuce
I'm having the same issue, though I replaced the hatch springs, and now am about to replace the gas shocks that hold up the rear hatch.

The dealership is giving me the run around about fixing this issue and I'm on my 4th trip. On trip #3, they had a "team of engineers" come down to checkout the problems that my Z and another Z were having. Now the dealer is "waiting on Nissan to develop a fix" for this issue, while my patience and warranty are running out.

I saw on another thread that someone had the same noise, and it ended up being the bolt on the top of the shock absorber. The dealer said it narrowed it down to that area, but could not actually locate it or stop it from rattling. I'm going to relay the shock absorber bolt info to the dealer this weekend when its serviced again.

Doesn't seem to be a very widespread problem, as there aren't more people on here with the same rattle / noise issue. I guess if its not widespread, Nisssan won't spend the time or dollars to develop a fix for it.
Let me know if your dealership finds a fix - I've been to Nissan of Dallas (on 635 in Farmers Branch) and Nissan of Grapevine. They say they've tightened everything - put the 'ears' on it to listen for it - but NOTHING!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:14 PM
SOZ

Same problem in my 07. Service manager and mechanic checked it and said it was right rear shock bracket bushing tube and seal had excessive play. They replaced - Rod Connecting, Bush rear shock, bracket assy-sh, tube rr mounting, seal-shock abso and nut. All under warranty and the clunk/rattle or whatever you name it was gone and things are quiet as can be now except for usual exhaust noises and stuff. I'll post the part numbers from the work order if you like.

Quick Reply: rattling/clunking in rear?