Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

For anyone with the intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:11 AM
bmyles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This problem is ridiculous. Happened for the first time this morning. Bought the car a month ago with 119k miles. Nissan seriously should have done a TSB on this. If replacing keys, antenna, and BCM doesn't solve it, it's a big problem that leads to extreme embarrassment and could lead to unnecessary towing and such. I have a barely used battery in the car, and it always holds a charge. One of the posts on here might be on to something about the Smart Control Entrance Unit...gonna try looking into that.

Edit: I have the Osiris tuner, so I asked UpRev to remove the NATS capability. 1 hr turn around time on a Saturday so they get an A+. This *should* solve the problem and NATS is a joke anyway. If someone wants to steal your car, they're going to load it up on a truck. I called up the dealer and the NATS antenna is $134. I also can't find a part number anywhere on the webs. I think I will only replace it if/when I sell the car.

Last edited by bmyles; 07-21-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 PM
whatZheck

So, I am not alone. Bought my 04 Enthusiast last week, it has failed to start 3 times. Not many attempts before it goes again. It happened once when I got the spare key made. Aftermarket head unit, not sure if that is the problem.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:51 PM
scmtkings4

yup same here, been battling this problem for years now.

Car won't start on random days. sucks that theres no real fix for this
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having this issued after having my battery replaced.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:10 PM
bmyles

You can start off with having the NATS antenna replaced. $134 and an hour of labor, I think. If someone could get a part number for the antenna, could probably find it cheaper, but then again, dealer probably won't install it.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:23 PM
iReZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My 2 cents.

I had this problem a couple of years ago. I understand the machinations of the key transmitter system, and I just wanted to take a look. I also wanted one of those switchblade keys so I ordered the key and holder, Pryed open the old key to remove the chip and noticed something The factory had used a rosin like substance to hold the chip in place. The rosin had in the beginning been clear, I’m sure but was now a dark amber. Since the megahertz frequency these systems typically use are sensitive to color, I decided to rebind the chip with E 6000. The problem went away, for like three years, I never had a problem. Then it happened again. I checked the chip in the key it had no change. This lets me know it is a compound problem. The little transmitter/ receiver is a base loaded type, placed in the right side of the dash. Base loading conotates a powered system, with a small transformer/ voltage multiplayer to power the signal transfer. I have surmised that the chip discoloration over time combined with the weakening of any such transformer would cause the key not to report.