Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

For anyone with the intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:00 PM
r6rider2987

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For anyone with the intermittent starting problem

I have a 2005 enthusiast model and have had the intermittent starting problem for a long time. I bought the car with 21k miles on it july 2008 and the problem only got worse. I spoke to the previous owner of the car and they said they had the same problem. The car would crank but, not kick over. It would always start but, it was just how many times would I have to try and start the car before it would run. The dealership scanned the car and a "nats" code would come up. They would reprogram my keys but, that didnt help. They replaced my keys but, that failed as well. Finally, they replaced the antenna booster (I think thats what its called) and the car didnt give me any problems for about 3 months and then it started doing it again. I have searched through the forums many times and have done alot of research. It appears its not just 350z cars but, any random nissan could have the problem. I am going to have the BCM replaced and hopefully this will fix the problem. Through my searching I've found that there are 3 parts to the system. The keys, antenna booster, and the bcm (body control module). If anyone else has had the "intermittent starting problem" I would suggest 1st replacing the keys, then the antenna, then the bcm. Or all 3 at the same time might be your best bet. Hopefully replacing the BCM will fix this problem. Goodluck to anyone else with the problem and if you find a permanent fix please PM me.- Joe
The following users liked this post:
iReZ (11-13-2021)
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
candyman7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was this covered under warranty?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 PM
dr_gallup

I've got an '03. This problem started just about when the warranty ran out but it was so infrequent I never took it in. It stayed infrequent until the last few months. It might happen once a week. It seems like switching to the other key helps but maybe it's just random luck. Today it failed to start three times: going to work, going to lunch & going home. Each time it took several attempts. You can tell right away when it happens because the engine just cranks without a single fire.

Any idea what's the cost of the antenna booster and/or BCM?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:00 AM
kevincat

well i never thought that was an issue. sometime i would try to start my car but it wouldnt start.

it was just like starting the car with a key without the chip inside.

never thought highly of it.

subbing for a permanent solution
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM
jdella681

interesting.. it just happened to me for the first time since i bought it (about 3 weeks, I have an '03 touring).. I'm kinda relieved that there's others out there with the same problem. Is this something that can potentially be a serious problem?
Old 04-09-2009, 08:18 AM
VandyZ

when this happens to me i always take my key out, flip it to the other side and she starts right up. Its definitely a NATS issue.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 AM
dr_gallup

Originally Posted by VandyZ
when this happens to me i always take my key out, flip it to the other side and she starts right up. Its definitely a NATS issue.
That worked for me for a few years when it was very infrequent. Now I try that, switch keys, twist the steering wheel back & forth and curse. Sooner or later it starts.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:35 AM
jdella681

Ok so here's a thought. I went to fill my gas tank and when I tried starting the car it wouldn't go.. and now that I think about it, the last time it happened when my tank was refilled all the way.. You guys have any ideas of what it could be? I tried flipping the key and still the same problems..
Old 04-16-2009, 02:38 PM
jdella681

bump for an answer!
Old 04-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Mutt

I have this problem too. I thought it maybe had something to do with my aftermarket alarm, but it sounds like a lot of people have this issue. It is annoying, but kind of funny. Especially, if you're parked and the car is looking super clean and people are checking it out and then you get in, go to start it up...and NOTHING! Kinda funny, but not always.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 PM
jdella681

lol.. yea when it happened i just got my new rims on and when i was struggling to get the engine going i felt like i was being watched haha
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 AM
r6rider2987

Default update

alright, i have officially had my keys reprogrammed, replaced, the antenna booster replaced, and now the bcm replaced and nothing fixed it. I got my bcm replaced last sat. and it didnt even last a week. My issue has nothing to do with my gas, it doesnt matter how much gas is in it its just something wrong with the system somewhere. When i got the antenna booster replaced it didnt do it for about 3 months and i thought it was gone forever but, then it started doing it again. My nissan dealer (jones nissan in md) has been very good to me about trying to get the problem fixed but, we just cant figure it out. I have lo jack and I'm wondering if the lo jack installation could have messed with the system or something? I'm out of possible solutions. I love the car but, this is a pain in the ***. If anyone finds a fix please let me know. And if i can be of any help pm me as i have been fighting this problem since i bought the car. thanks again- Joe
Old 04-17-2009, 02:24 PM
jdella681

^ fyi my names joe.. i hope we can get this issue resolved. im prolly gonna bring it up on my next oil change.. any other advice wud be greatly appreciated
Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
kevincat

bump for a solution.

lately the problem seem like it has worsen.

1 out of 5 time i crank the car, it wouldnt start, it sound like it is either out of gas or as if i was using a key with without the chip.

its annoying because i have to wat several second to try to start it everytime it wouldnt start.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:52 AM
r6rider2987

Default lo jack is the problem

anyone who has the same issue as mine find out if your z has lo jack...I have been told the lo jack signal is strong enough to "intermitantly interefere" with the cars system. Im going to have my lo jack uninstalled and we'll see if thats it but, it sounds very promising!!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:11 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket stereo? You know the antenna booster needs a 12vdc supply to activate it once the factory stereo is removed and replaced. This is something you have to fix yourself. It's like providing a trigger wire to aftermarket amps. Maybe this helps, maybe not...
Old 04-24-2009, 05:04 AM
r6rider2987

nope, stock stereo but, thanks and for others i think that could be the problem. The Nissan engineer or whatever said lo jack, aftermarket stereos, anything of the sort could be interfering with it. I'll report back after the lo jack is out!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:45 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I personally think the "Nissan Engineer" is full of ****...
The following users liked this post:
Raynemaeker (07-02-2022)
Old 04-25-2009, 06:11 PM
jdella681

I'm gonna fill up tonight to a full tank and see if it does it again for mine.. so far i'm 2 for 2 on startup issues when my gas tank is filled all the way.. i'll let y'all know what happens
Old 04-26-2009, 10:01 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Scary.
____________________________________________________________ ___________________________
'O4 Touring Coupe: NO starting problem! NO feathering! NO oil-consumption issue! Flawless AT!---let's just hope everything remains the same!!!

Quick Reply: For anyone with the intermittent starting problem