Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP... STOCK 350z has no power, vibrates, and the SES light is blinking

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RWDXTACY
i got the Z as a DD because its just practical..

You can't be serious.... practical? Nothing says practical like a RWD 2 seater sports car with basically no usable trunk space
Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
CancerJCCz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
You can't be serious.... practical? Nothing says practical like a RWD 2 seater sports car with basically no usable trunk space
Just about to say the same thing. OP your thread fials on all accounts.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here goes: OP, how freaking old are you?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PerfZ
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here goes: OP, how freaking old are you?
he's either 17 or just turned 18. he's a local guy here.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:24 AM
PerfZ

Coulda guessed since he mentioned going to school - college age kids usually say going to class, not school. But since Hras isn't lurking, figured I would get it out of the way, lol.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
when coming from a lot of 240SXs, trust me, the Z will be the most reliable car in the world. I think he was talking about reliability. he had some cool turbo 240s, but i don't think any of them were reliable.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 AM
oro

Could be your throttle body as well, I had an intermittent issue with mine, got the code pulled and it came as incorrect voltage. The first throttle body would hit a loss of power and no matter what gear you were in would almost shut the throttle plate causing severe lack of power. This only happened in flight...on the freeway. Sometimes it worked fine, sometimes it wanted to die 3 times in an hour. Either way get it checked. If that is your problem, it's pretty serious when you are on the the freeway and the plate shuts, its like slapping on your brakes in 70mph traffic.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
PerfZ

240SX - And here I thought he meant a 240Z
Should have guessed, not that there is anything wrong with that.
So far I'm pretty close to my original post that there would be 20 guesses
from people; oh well, at least a few them echoed my "get the code read" - if this kid had turbo SX's and still isn't savvy enough to start there, then I guess I don't know what to say...He IS aware that every car since '96 has an OBDII connector under the dash, correct?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 PM
ABL 2 FLY

^Yes, I think he is very aware of that. I would bet my money that the OP has more experience with cars than you buddy. I know him personally. He is just new to 350's but has owned at least 10 240's. How about cutting him some slack and helping somebody out once and a while instead of bashing them?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM
jray8

trade it for an RSX-S

jk

Last edited by jray8; 03-11-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:24 PM
tanabe350z

to the OP check your **** before you get on this site calling the 350z a POS

flame on!!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:13 PM
PerfZ

Originally Posted by ABL 2 FLY
^Yes, I think he is very aware of that. I would bet my money that the OP has more experience with cars than you buddy. I know him personally. He is just new to 350's but has owned at least 10 240's. How about cutting him some slack and helping somebody out once and a while instead of bashing them?
The code from the SES light should still be there - get it scanned at your local auto parts so you are not guessing.
Now stand by for about 20 posts of what it might be - don't waste your time reading them, without seeing the car it is all guesswork.
Also, your post is kind of short on details - years, mileage, things like that. That info helps sometimes.

Edit - just noticed the under warranty part - take it back to the dealer - why ask here when the dealer will fix it?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is my first reply - where is the bashing? His reply was "crossing my fingers that it doesn't happen again", to paraphrase. A simple, free check might answer his question. If he isn't going to consider advice, why did he bother to post the question?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Subninja
Banned

You guys are being dicks...I searched and didn't find crap on here...so get off his back. Obviously all the bashing was just to cover up the fact you guys didn't know what would cause that to happen. What a bunch of dicks.

I just had this problem. The SES flashing means the car is misfiring really bad. Check you coil packs. My came loose from the wiring to the coilpack when I hit a bump. It did the same thing as yours...check your coil pack and plugs.

Last edited by Subninja; 03-11-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tanabe350z
to the OP check your **** before you get on this site calling the 350z a POS

flame on!!
Well i can see why some of you guys got pissed at the OP for calling it "a POS" but u gotta understand that it came off of frustration. When u get pissed at your GF or wife, you cuss em out, its not like u mean it, your just pissed. It's the same with the OP, he's a cool guy and did a lot of research before getting his Z just confused

BTW he's not some stupid noob, he knows his cars, he's just new to the Z thats all
Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 PM
HKS-Z
Backroad Pro

I feel a little dumber after reading this.I feel the Z is becoming too affordable.

so this car has run PERFECT for the 2.5 weeks ive owned it. I get in it today to drive to school and it starts out fine backing up the driveway and then as soon as i put it in 2nd or so it starts to get a slight vibration and it feels like i have 30 hp.. i look down and the SES light starts blinking.. it never fully comes on but it was deff blinking. then i pull over and the light goes away and the car runs good to like 3rd gear and then the weird vibration and no power comes back again...

WTF is that? anyone know???

good thing this pos is under warrenty..
LOL

dude im not some dumbass... yes i poped the hood, yes i looked around...

im new to the 350z thing but ive been working on 240s for a longgggggg time. i got the Z as a DD because its just practical..

car has 71k miles on it but has an extended warrenty through prizm admistrative solutions inc.

the only thing done to the car is a HKS super mega suction kit. It ran perfect yesterday and now all of a sudden runs like complete ***. i will prob drive it to advanced and see if i can diagnose it there to save from the 200 deductable i may have to pay
the Hks what?!

its totally fine now... yeh the 350z uses a maf but i already checked that. anyways problem is gone right now crossing my fingers it doesnt come back

Originally Posted by Subninja
You guys are being dicks...I searched and didn't find crap on here...so get off his back. Obviously all the bashing was just to cover up the fact you guys didn't know what would cause that to happen. What a bunch of dicks.

I just had this problem. The SES flashing means the car is misfiring really bad. Check you coil packs. My came loose from the wiring to the coilpack when I hit a bump. It did the same thing as yours...check your coil pack and plugs.
yep,sounds like someone who really knows cars..or maybe im just a dick..

Last edited by HKS-Z; 03-11-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 PM
RWDXTACY

its called a super mega... its for the z32 maf... i fabbed it up to work on the Z.. cost me like 145 bucks and i had it laying around..

again i was referring to MY 350z as a POS not all 350zs....

all of this bashing is quite uncalled for, i looked around and found nothing. I made a post hoping that this was maybe a common problem seeing how its a fairly new car and not ragged on... i guess its not, but amature member PMd me and helped me out.

i was going to become an active member on here but this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth
Old 03-12-2009, 03:55 AM
KS0385

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its called a super mega... its for the z32 maf... i fabbed it up to work on the Z.. cost me like 145 bucks and i had it laying around..

again i was referring to MY 350z as a POS not all 350zs....

all of this bashing is quite uncalled for, i looked around and found nothing. I made a post hoping that this was maybe a common problem seeing how its a fairly new car and not ragged on... i guess its not, but amature member PMd me and helped me out.

i was going to become an active member on here but this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth
Don't worry. The feeling's mutual.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:18 AM
SweetDreamZ

agreed...kinda harsh...but it happens every day. he'll get over it.

false. more than one thing could be the problem if your SES light starts flashing. a flashing SES light does not point to a SINGLE problem...although it generally does point to what is deemed one of the more serious problems.

OP...take the advice you've been given...go pull the codes and see what TRULY is the problem. Then come ask for tips on how to fix it if you need to.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to get the code checked. A flashing SES light means a misfire extreme enough to cause catalyst damage. IE- you should not be driving the car. At 71k who knows how the driver abused the car or what maintinence was done, get it checked.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 AM
07rdsterGT

Yes, say that you have a pair of cylinders not firing....if you drive it, which you can, all of the gas from those cylinders will dump into the cats and burn there. Your cats are about 700 each. So, please don't drive it, even if you think its a POS.

Quick Reply: HELP... STOCK 350z has no power, vibrates, and the SES light is blinking