Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Jacking points

Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 AM
orangie06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jacking points

Ok stupid question. Im gona be doin my oil change on my Z today and I wanted to know where I should jack my Z up at?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 AM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the owner's manual. There is a full page on this!

If your too lazy, click here

http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.co...issan-350Z.pdf

its on page 201.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:34 AM
lafingas

i was wondering the same....except if i have a rolling floor jack and I wanted to jack up both wheels at the same time from the front. Isnt the radiator support plastic?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 AM
MarvinMartian

I thought this was going to be a thread about CT . . .
Old 04-15-2009, 09:13 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The answer is here...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&postcount=47

Take a few minutes to read the whole thread.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The following users liked this post:
HelpMePlz (05-14-2016)
Old 08-27-2009, 06:51 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I would like to add to that pic......too many Z's get all screwed up at the pinch weld at that location.

-J
Old 08-27-2009, 07:00 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

^^^+10000 - perfect idea to prevent bends where there shouldnt be cause of using a jack
Old 08-27-2009, 11:03 AM
FishBrownie

I think the more appropriate question would be, how do you put the car on jack stands without having a floor jack, and just using the scissor jack provided with the car. If you jack it up at the jack point on the frame, where does the jack stand go?

Also, FYI, if you have the car on one jack stand, and go to jack up the other side with the stupid OEM scissor jack, you won't be able to get the same height on the second side. I had the first stand on the second hole and had to go back and lower it to the first hole because the jack couldn't get the car high enough to get it on the stand. Made getting under there a little comfortable. Next time, I'm not using stands unless I have access to a floor jack. Lesson learned.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:05 AM
cheshirecat79

Definitely don't use the scissor jack unless you have an emergency on the road. Purchase an appropriate jack for your task.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:02 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^^ exactly what "cat" said. Fish - the sizzor jack is a "side of the road/emergency only" use kind of jack. It's designed to pick up one side off the ground, enough for you to change a tire and be on your way.

you need a floor jack which articulates in a way as to safely lift the opposite side when the other is already up on a jack stand.

Also, when putting a car on jack stands you should:

Getting the car up:
Lift one side with a floor jack - just high enough to get the car on the LOWEST setting of your "small" car jack stands.

then go to the other side and do the same. (then doing rear, etc as needed)

Then you must go back and raise a bit at a time if you require the care to be higher??

Working front to back, etc depending if your getting the entire car off the ground or not.

Then as a safety, stick the floor jack under the car pushing on the underside but not lifting........just a precaution in case the car moves the floor jack is still there......could save your life if your under and the car comes down.

Done:

Getting the car down:

Work the same way but back wards, never bring one side completely down while the other is on the high setting and leaning the care like this / is bad... I have seen jack stands "push out" and car come crashing down.

scary and can be fatal.

What i mean by small jack stand - is dont go out and purchase truck jack stands.......use simple sized 2.5 or 3000 lb capacity stands and those are most likely sized for car use, with a starting height that isn't so tall..

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 09-01-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Definitely don't use the scissor jack unless you have an emergency on the road. Purchase an appropriate jack for your task.
I learned the hard way while trying to find the cause of the rattle in my bassani exhaust. my stock scissor jack gave out and bent, luckily while I wasn't under the car. my dumbass could have been seriously hurt for trying to just work with what I had. trying to avoid purchasing a heavy jack since I live in a 3rd story apt with no garage right now.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 AM
WhiteNoiz

Yup, I have two floor jacks, and two sets of jack stands. The Zs emergency jack points, and the scissor jack must be made of recycled pop cans.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Have never done it like this. Always did the side to side methond like Jason explained. I do put the jack stands in the spots shown though. So to lift it up from the rear, with a floor jack, you would place it under the diff?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AcidJake75
^^^+10000 - perfect idea to prevent bends where there shouldnt be cause of using a jack
+111111111111111111111111, i need one of those.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 AM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
Have never done it like this. Always did the side to side methond like Jason explained. I do put the jack stands in the spots shown though. So to lift it up from the rear, with a floor jack, you would place it under the diff?
yup, as simple as that. I jack from the front center jack point, and the diff. Much quicker than the side to side method!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 AM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
Yep- and just to add, the rear is usually pretty easy to get to even if you are lowered. For the front, you may have to get the car up on a couple of 2x4's before you can get the jack under the front brace.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Entaille
I learned the hard way while trying to find the cause of the rattle in my bassani exhaust. my stock scissor jack gave out and bent, luckily while I wasn't under the car. my dumbass could have been seriously hurt for trying to just work with what I had. trying to avoid purchasing a heavy jack since I live in a 3rd story apt with no garage right now.
I have a heavy duty floor jack, but I never get under the car unless it is on jack stands. Anything can fail and I'd just as soon not be under the car when it does.

For simple tasks that don't require taking the wheels off, I use a set of ramps. Quick and easy.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:47 PM
FishBrownie

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
^^ exactly what "cat" said. Fish - the sizzor jack is a "side of the road/emergency only" use kind of jack. It's designed to pick up one side off the ground, enough for you to change a tire and be on your way.

you need a floor jack which articulates in a way as to safely lift the opposite side when the other is already up on a jack stand.

Also, when putting a car on jack stands you should:

Getting the car up:
Lift one side with a floor jack - just high enough to get the car on the LOWEST setting of your "small" car jack stands.

then go to the other side and do the same. (then doing rear, etc as needed)

Then you must go back and raise a bit at a time if you require the care to be higher??

Working front to back, etc depending if your getting the entire car off the ground or not.

Then as a safety, stick the floor jack under the car pushing on the underside but not lifting........just a precaution in case the car moves the floor jack is still there......could save your life if your under and the car comes down.

Done:

Getting the car down:

Work the same way but back wards, never bring one side completely down while the other is on the high setting and leaning the care like this / is bad... I have seen jack stands "push out" and car come crashing down.

scary and can be fatal.

What i mean by small jack stand - is dont go out and purchase truck jack stands.......use simple sized 2.5 or 3000 lb capacity stands and those are most likely sized for car use, with a starting height that isn't so tall..

-J
Yeah, that was the first and last time I use the scissor-jack method. I still need to clean the rust off my rotors, and have been putting it off because I don't have a floor jack yet.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:03 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Ok old thread from the dead but thats what happens when you use the search. Anyone come up with a better way of getting the car off the ground for oil changes? I was thinking of making a makeshift ramp system so the rires are resting on a platform with enough room for me to slide my body under the car and no risk of it falling on me. This car is rather low and im not as young as I used too be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jacking points