Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

need help asap with sound problem might be clutch unsure.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 PM
HighCrimes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help asap with sound problem might be clutch unsure.

i have a 2006 350z, and it just started this noise today, it sounds like its the throwout bearing, or something. its making that damn rattling sound. it doesnt do it when u start it and sits and idle it only does it every so often like disengaging the clutch and driving a little and letting off the gas. im post to be driving like 500miles on friday and im not sure if its good enough to drive on that far... what should i do and does anyone know about this problem.

how hard is it to change out a throwout bearing on a z? ive only workd on like old skool cars that r easy as **** so i dont know what im getting into.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:07 PM
*Boose*

Sounds like it's the norm. But how low do you hear it? Our trans makes some pretty good noises when lefting off the clutch or doing a slow start.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:12 PM
DB350

Sounds like clutch chatter to me. I had/have the same problem, car still runs good just a tad noisy at idle. It is a sports car, so it won't be completely refined.

Should be good to drive on it. *don't quote me*
Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 AM
F34RL355
Banned

im thinking its prolly just clutch chatter too
Old 12-15-2009, 05:08 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree, seems like normal clutch chatter.........

only way to tell is to get the car in the air and start it.....get a stethoscope and put it to the bell housing along with one hand on the bell housing and listen/feel for the noise......

Have someone in the drivers seat and articulate the clutch and see if its more or less prominent with clutch engagement.....that may or may not rule out the throw out bearing..

I doubt you need to but to answer your question:
Changing the throw out bearing isnt hard at all but when you get to it you will need a press or a good size vise at least to remove it from its pressed on mount/carrier..

you would have to remove the y pipe, remove drive shaft, two braces under the car then disconnect the shifter up top, drop the tranny and then looking in the tranny pull straight off the throw out bearing assembly carefull not to over pull or break the wire clip holding the fork.......but remove the clip while pulling forward, dont try and remove the clip first...

press off the throw out bearing and press on a new one.....

work backwards and reinstall everything...

-J
Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 AM
HighCrimes

i really dont think its clutch chatter because its a annoying sound and its never done this. i never had any problems but there was something i noticed that my clutch isnt so hard to push in anymore and sometimes it sticks a little like the tension in the peddle not fully coming out. i dont think its a lil issue from experience with manual cars
Old 12-15-2009, 06:33 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^ well how is the clutch fluid.......if its black and ugly the clutch slave can stick....

it may very well be a bad throw out bearing, but at this point were guessing now....

try doing what i said and see if you can narrow down where the noise is actually generating from...

-J