Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

New motor no spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 04:56 PM
lowpressure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor no spark

Hey guys/gals,

I just finished a rebuild on my sons 06 350z with the rev-up. Put a set of h beams and forged pistons in it. Put in a new high performance clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel while it was out. Ive built tons of motors but this is my first 3.5. I used the haynes manual specs to set timing (circles on the passenger bank, squares on the driver bank) but i read somewhere that the rev up timing was different than the non rev up version but i could never verify that so i went with what the manual had. Also, 4 cam position sensors just got dropped in a box and i was not 100 percent on which two were the intake cams sensors and which two were for the exhaust.

While we were at it we sent the ecu to uprev and had them disable the NAT crap system so that we dont have to take the car to the dealership for the tenth time to get keys reprogrammed.

So with all of that said i guess im looking to see if anyone that is a guru on these things may have some insight as to what i may have missed.
Any pictures or part numbers that i can reference to verify i have the sensors in the correct positions
Any diagrams of 3.5 rev up specific procedure for setting both the small chains and the main one.

Just trying to get my boy back on the road.

Thanks for any help in advance
steve
Old 02-15-2022, 05:32 PM
lowpressure

OK! Heres an update even though nobody has come back with any suggestions...............I unplugged the driver side cam sensor and the car immediately started. I then ran to the parts store and got a replacement for that sensor and put it in...........still only runs while unplugged.

So my train of thought now goes like this....

Engine got a new crank, flywheel and clutch assembly. since the car is timed partly off of the marks on the flywheel are all of the crankshafts from the 3.5s interchangeable? Will a non-rev up crank be the same as a rev-up crank?

The only other thing that comes to mind is timing but ive triple checked that and while it was sitting there idling there wasnt any valve chatter. ( i was afraid to rev it with the off chance that i could screw up some valves)

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:46 PM
Sr94

Originally Posted by lowpressure
OK! Heres an update even though nobody has come back with any suggestions...............I unplugged the driver side cam sensor and the car immediately started. I then ran to the parts store and got a replacement for that sensor and put it in...........still only runs while unplugged.

So my train of thought now goes like this....

Engine got a new crank, flywheel and clutch assembly. since the car is timed partly off of the marks on the flywheel are all of the crankshafts from the 3.5s interchangeable? Will a non-rev up crank be the same as a rev-up crank?

The only other thing that comes to mind is timing but ive triple checked that and while it was sitting there idling there wasnt any valve chatter. ( i was afraid to rev it with the off chance that i could screw up some valves)

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Greetings! I'm not really any help but I'm experiencing the same thing you are with a different story! I finished installing camshafts on my Revup and after putting everything back together It fired up and idled great. I didn't have any of the accessories hooked up so when I went to put the alternator/PS pump in I accidently broke the starter cable and Arc the wire and Blew the 120A Main battery fuse. I jumped the fuse with a wire and the car started and idled great again. Went for a drive and the car died and refused too turn back on. I replaced the 120A fuse and I took all my plugs out and I'm only getting spark on one cylinder (3) I can smell fuel. Im wondering if I fried the ECU. I'm gonna try to disconnect my cam sensor and see if I get spark. I got all kinds of lights on my dash now with no codes smh.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:14 PM
lowpressure

Originally Posted by Sr94
Greetings! I'm not really any help but I'm experiencing the same thing you are with a different story! I finished installing camshafts on my Revup and after putting everything back together It fired up and idled great. I didn't have any of the accessories hooked up so when I went to put the alternator/PS pump in I accidently broke the starter cable and Arc the wire and Blew the 120A Main battery fuse. I jumped the fuse with a wire and the car started and idled great again. Went for a drive and the car died and refused too turn back on. I replaced the 120A fuse and I took all my plugs out and I'm only getting spark on one cylinder (3) I can smell fuel. Im wondering if I fried the ECU. I'm gonna try to disconnect my cam sensor and see if I get spark. I got all kinds of lights on my dash now with no codes smh.
hey there,

just finished getting mine running. The large arc can screw up your NAT and brick your ecu. Doesn’t necessarily have to do both but it is possible. Sent mine to uprev in Austin. They deleted the NAT and checked ecu. Put it back in and after removing the driver cam sensor and getting it running we figured out we had one of the cam sensors in the wrong location . After that the throttle body was stuck closed but some cleaner and a scotch brite later we were up and running. Hope any of this helps
Old 02-20-2022, 01:55 PM
Sr94

Originally Posted by lowpressure
hey there,

just finished getting mine running. The large arc can screw up your NAT and brick your ecu. Doesn’t necessarily have to do both but it is possible. Sent mine to uprev in Austin. They deleted the NAT and checked ecu. Put it back in and after removing the driver cam sensor and getting it running we figured out we had one of the cam sensors in the wrong location . After that the throttle body was stuck closed but some cleaner and a scotch brite later we were up and running. Hope any of this helps
Hope you're enjoying the Rebuild!! I started reading it could be a faulty IPDM that comes before/powers the ECU. I wasn't getting the signal from my ECU to fire the plugs. So at some point out of nowhere lost my 12v Constance to the plugs, then I noticed the pump wasn't priming anymore and seen the Solid red light and it confirmed that NATS was stopping me I couldn't even hook up my OBD. When I turned my headlight on the flickered very badly on and off with the oil pressure light. The IDPM was clicking with the frequency that the oil light would turn on and off to. So I went to the Junkyard to pick up a IPDM. I screwed up and got the part number wrong (Picked off a M35) but when I hooked it up to my car it turned my NATS light off and let me connect to the OBD2 and it gave me my 12v to the coil packs and primed the fuel pump. I'm gonna order one that matches my Part number off eBay I really hope this works. I don't really have the funds right now for a new ECU.