Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2003 350Z Stalls during day driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:32 AM
CaymanZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 350Z Stalls during day driving

So here's my little predicament....
I have 2003 350Z, and the only mod is a Cold Air Intake.

A few months ago, my car started stalling on my way home from work. It works fine in the morning going to work, and it works fine late at night. Mid-late afternoon, it will run for about 3-4 minutes, then the tach starts jumping around like crazy, it'll dip to where it's JUST about to stall, then revs back to life only to repeat this a few more times. If I floor it while it's doing this, nothing happens. I get no response whatsoever. After a minute or so of this freakish behavior, it will finally stall. I have to let it sit for at least 30 seconds before it will start again. If I try to restart it right away, it will roll and roll and roll. And I also have to completely turn the key off, if I leave it in the ON position and wait the 30 seconds, it will not start. Once it restarts, it will run for another 3-4 minutes before doing it all over again. it's gotten quite dangerous driving home from work lately lol

I've taken it to 3 different local garages, only to have them all tell me sorry, we give up, might as well take it to the dealership. So after the 3rd failed attempt, I took it the Nissan Dealership. After having the car for 3 days and it never throwing any codes and the Check Engine Light never coming on, they too gave up, patted me on the back and wished me luck. I have googled the heck out of this problem and can't seem to find a fix that works. I had the fuel injectors cleaned, and cleaned the MAF. I've Un-plugged the battery for a day, checked my fuses, car doesn't overheat, oil pressure seems fine (that's the extent to what I've tried myself due to the fact I'm not very handy with cars, and hence why I've taken it to shops to have them fix it). If I put in a bottle of Gas Treatment, it'll work fine for a few days, then after the 4th day or so, it's back right to where I was. I get gas from different places every single time to see if maybe I was just getting bad gas.

I'm ready to drive the car off a bridge (me not in it of course). Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try putting your stock air box back on. This damn heat is playing hell on cars with CAI.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM
CaymanZ

You know I was going to try that when it first started happening but a friend of mine who's owned a few Z's said not to bother.

Should have listened to my gut....I'll try that this evening. Thanks man!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:46 AM
redline06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow weird problem, whats the milage on the car? automatic or manual? yea try installing the stock airbox again, also when it shuts off and it locks you out for 30 seconds what happenes when you try to start it, does it just keep cranking like its not getting fuel but not starting? or it doesnt do anything like when you turn the key without pressing the clutch? (if its manual)
Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Sor

The problem is the CAI. Get a mechanic to check it out.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM
CaymanZ

Yea, VERY strange problem redline06. I haven't found many people with this problem, and when Nissan gave up, I knew it was going to be a tough one.

It only has 64K miles on it, and it's manual. When it shuts me out and I try to re-start, it's just an on-going never ending crank like there's no fuel.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
CRIDDA

Mine did this as well.

First try the air box. If that doesn't solve your problem, it could be a few things. One thing that was happening to me, was I kept throwing a code for crank position sensor(which might be what you are experiencing as well). I have reset my codes and changed back to the stock air box and have not had it happen again. If it happens to me again, I will change the sensor and see what that does. Keep us updated
Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 PM
huyrua

Sounds like Cridda got the right ideas. Also check your MAF sensor. Is it installed back on correctly? Oil from your air filter will mess with MAF sensor also.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM
CaymanZ

Thanks CRIDDA, I'll def be doing the swap out tonight after work. I'll keep you guys posted on the resolution. It happens every day now, so I should know by tomorrow afternoon if that did it! **crossing my fingers**
Old 07-25-2011, 01:01 PM
CaymanZ

Huyrua, I'l be sure to verify all of that this evening, and I'm going to clean the MAF again just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the input guys!!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 PM
CRIDDA

No problem. Welcome to the board
Old 07-25-2011, 01:27 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have VDC? TCS?

New tires wheels recently? And the sizes are?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:00 PM
CaymanZ

It's the '03 Touring Model with VDC. The stalling happens whether VDC is on or off.

It has the '03 Stock 18" wheels with 225/45R18 tires. The tires have been on for over a year now. This just started happening a few months ago.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
redline06

Updates?!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 PM
redline06

The fact that when you try starting it again it just cranks sounds like the fuel pump is not sending fuel, this also happens when the immobilizer gets activated. Any faults in the system? Not just ECU but BCM as well?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:33 AM
CaymanZ

I took out the CAI last night and put back in the stock air box and cleaned the MAF. Went for a drive after I did that to make sure all was good. As usual though, it drove fine during the night. I'll take a late lunch and drive the hell out of it to see if the problem still exists **fingers crossed**

I kinda thought it might be a fuel problem as well, due to the fact that this problem started occurring the day after I filled up one day, and also when I put in a bottle of gas treatment, the problem goes away for a few days.

Could it possibly be debris in my tank or just a faulty fuel pump? I don't have any other problems with the car...other than this, it runs great (in the morning and at night that is :-P )
Old 07-26-2011, 05:47 AM
redline06

prob not debris but maybe a faulty fuel pump , silly question but does your alarm ever randomly go off? so it stalls while youre at idle or while driving? let us know after your lunch drive lol
Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 AM
CaymanZ

If the problem still exists after putting back in the stock air box, I'll def have someone check out the fuel pump for me.

It stalls randomly, whether I'm sitting at a light, or driving on the highway. Just the other day I hopped on I4 from I75, got in front of a semi and BAM, it stalled...good times lol

I'll keep you guys posted :-)
Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 AM
redline06

Oh **** i4 & i75? so youre in tampa too? If so would like to see it in person along with a friend who can help as well
Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 AM
CaymanZ

Yup, I'm in Tampa too lol If the problem doesn't go away, that'd be great if you wouldn't mind looking at it!

Update after driving around during lunch....
No problems whatsoever today. Next test will be driving home when it happens more frequently. It was a little cooler out today than it has been, so that might have been a factor....but who knows. It def idled better at stop lights as well. I'm thinking it must have been the CAI.....we shall see :-)

Quick Reply: 2003 350Z Stalls during day driving