Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 AM
RichV

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately, the pictures no longer work. it also seems Blue Badge is no longer active in the forum.

The pictures Johnnyo put up did help but more pictures would be helpful.

I sent Blue badge a private message, but haven't heard back. Anyone else have pics with description on how to do this?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:03 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RichV
Unfortunately, the pictures no longer work. it also seems Blue Badge is no longer active in the forum.

The pictures Johnnyo put up did help but more pictures would be helpful.

I sent Blue badge a private message, but haven't heard back. Anyone else have pics with description on how to do this?
As I said earlier in this thread....PM me with your email address & I can send you the original file with all pics & info. For some reason I can't post it here.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:36 AM
RichV

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you sluggoZ!

I just sent you my email address
Old 01-31-2016, 07:36 AM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by RichV
Thank you sluggoZ!

I just sent you my email address
I found a way to post pics....Here are the pics starting with #01

The 5th pic ended last...at the end. Click on each pic to enlarge.

If you can't make it out just PM me with your email addy.
Attached Thumbnails How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-01.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-02.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-03.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-04.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-06.jpg  

How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-07.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-08.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-09.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-11.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-12.jpg  

How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-13.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-14.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-15.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-16.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-05.jpg  

Last edited by sluggoZ; 01-31-2016 at 07:39 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sluggoZ:
jlb (03-16-2016), Michelles350z (11-23-2020), wallygator (06-08-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 05:19 AM
neilsaunders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Job done

Right - After a few hours I managed to (semi-successfully, see below) run through this repair.

I was originally going to post a video of the thing but to be honest I wouldn't have shown anything that the blue badge photos didn't.

Tips:

1. While not essential I recommend having an techie/engineering friend to help - The motor's a git to get in and out/swap tools.

2. After 20 minutes of trying I couldn't use my finger alone to separate the white plastic assembly from the motor - In the end I used a large flat screwdriver between white and black plastic along the the long edge and *gently* rotated it to pop it out

3. It's useful to have a vice/grip or something to secure the white bit of plastic in the air when soldering

4. You MUST put the coil back between the brushes before re-inserting the white plastic. I don't see how you'd get it back in any other way

Finally while the motor repair went fine (I plugged it back in and it started turning when i hit the button) after fitting the roof went up and down fine but on the second time stuck again!

Thankfully I did this as part of a general roof overhaul (My original vinyl was perishing in the corners and had a number of small cuts) and had a roof refitting booked the next day at Carhood warehouse down in Chessington - I ended up driving down there with the motor in the passenger seat.

After laughing at my bodged DIY they did an absolutely fantastic job - Refitting the motor and totally recovered the roof in mohair (Including replacing the elastic straps, another common problem) - £850 all in (No extra charge for finishing the job I started either) - I can't recommend them enough.

Tyrone at CHW did mention that while this procedure definitely made the motor spin much freer the issue of the roof not going down originally was much more likely to be a combination of the age of the vinyl roof combined with the low temperatures stiffening it further.

Bottom line: I'd strongly suggest having a chat with the guys at Carhood Warehouse before starting this procedure!

http://www.carhood.com

- Neil
Attached Thumbnails How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-20160307062013.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-20160307062012.jpg   How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-20160307062011.jpg  

Last edited by neilsaunders; 03-07-2016 at 05:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bluebadge (07-15-2019)
Old 04-12-2016, 07:27 AM
Douglas Mccoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad 5th bow motor

I have 2004 touring roadster I need to replace the 599th bow motor. But I can't get your pictures to open
[/I]
Originally Posted by bluebadge
*** How To Repair 5th Bow Motor ***I can't see pictures

The model featured is my 2004 Touring Roadster, Current mileage is about 123k and I have never cleaned this motor or replaced the brushes before, so this is what you can expect if you are doing this for the first time.

Ok, so I've been wanting to do a how to guide for a while and this is a doozie! yup, 5th Bow Motor Repair!! If your 5th bow is getting stuck or not retracting your soft top in the storage compartment, the is a high probability that the brushes in the 5th bow motor are worn out. My how to will show you how to replace these brushes... The brushes can be bought online and they are the same ones used in the tutorial for fixing a sticking window motor, in fact this is pretty much the same as that, only easier!

What you'll need before you start.

1) A couple of hours spare time
2) A right angled (90 degree) phillips head screwdriver (or really short screwdriver)
3) Pair of suitable brushes got mine from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/MBS5-Stand-Up-.../dp/B001BHLX0W )
4) Small socket set (not 100% needed but useful)
5) Soldering Iron, Flux and Solder
6) Scissors
7) Egg Box and Double Sided Sticky Tape (just messing!)
8) Electrical Contact Cleaner and Rag
9) Fine sand paper (the wives nail file would do!)
10) A couple of band aids just in case!

The whole process took me a couple of hours with help from domrvt (cheers dude!)

Ok first you want to cram yourself inside your Zee (if you are over 6ft I feel for you!) Everything from this point is in picture format so .....

Once I got the motor back in the car I re-attached the electrical harness and press the button for the roof, and voila! it worked, then put it all back together, now my roof works flawlessly! Hope this How To was of help to those (like me) who were facing a $1000 plus repair job! this only cost me a couple of hours and about $10.

Cheers, feel free to re-post this on any other forums that you know of where people are having the same issue!!!

If you have any questions please message me. This is my first how to, so feedback is welcome.

BlueBadge

PS You will notice that I didn't re-lube the components as I didn't have any grease on hand, but I definitely recommend it! (i'll do mine later!)
Old 04-12-2016, 09:49 AM
sluggoZ

Douglas McCoy...In my above thread are the pics.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:23 PM
tgray239

hey bluebadge. I am in the process of rebuilding my 5th bow motor. I have everything in hand and ready to do this. for some reason your pics are not working. I am having a hard time. is there any way you can send me the pics or repost them???
Old 05-05-2016, 11:32 AM
NotaMechanic

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
Douglas McCoy...In my above thread are the pics.
I don't know if you were able to complete this successfully or not, but I'm having trouble removing screw 3, 4, and the optional (?) 5. I can't physically see 3 or 4 and 5 just seems weird. Any suggestions on how to remove them? I'm using a right angle screwdriver but it's definitely not sitting in the actual screw and I can't tell if it's actually working or not. Really getting ticked over it.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:33 AM
NotaMechanic

Originally Posted by tgray239
hey bluebadge. I am in the process of rebuilding my 5th bow motor. I have everything in hand and ready to do this. for some reason your pics are not working. I am having a hard time. is there any way you can send me the pics or repost them???
The pics help to a certain degree. I'm having trouble getting screws 3, 4 and 5 out of the housing unit.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:40 PM
tgray239

Originally Posted by NotaMechanic
I don't know if you were able to complete this successfully or not, but I'm having trouble removing screw 3, 4, and the optional (?) 5. I can't physically see 3 or 4 and 5 just seems weird. Any suggestions on how to remove them? I'm using a right angle screwdriver but it's definitely not sitting in the actual screw and I can't tell if it's actually working or not. Really getting ticked over it.
I finished rebuilding my 5th bow motor and it works great. Better than new. Notamechanic there are 5 screws to remove the motor from the top. All you need is the right angle screwdriver I got from harbour freight. After you remove the 5 bolts, it just pulls out. The only problem I ran into was getting the bushing housing out. I had to file down the plastic a little. But got it finished and works great. Saved $900 from nissan.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:47 PM
tgray239

Another help is open the trunk and stand in it. Look down into the motor through the window ( if you removed the plastic trim, I did). You can see the screws. all screws are Philips head.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:16 AM
HEFLIN

Default Locking latch for rear window mechanism

Originally Posted by Douglas Mccoy
I have 2004 touring roadster I need to replace the 599th bow motor. But I can't get your pictures to open
[/I]
Can you forward photos please
Old 05-22-2016, 11:33 AM
Craigdecker

Default Need pictures

The 5th bow pic aren't loading on page. do you still have them. Also how do you remove the cover for the 5th bow. got all the screws out wont come off
Old 05-24-2016, 08:27 PM
wallygator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dr. BB how do you get your DRI for 5th motor repair to load? I`ve tried and tried!!
thank you in advance
Old 05-25-2016, 10:30 PM
wallygator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bluebadge I can`t get your dyi to load.it says check with site owner. I would be grateful
for any help. thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2016, 09:16 AM
VictorBravo

Default something still holding 5th bow

I appreciate your thread on this and it has helped out. I removed all of the screws you show in your photo (photos are not visible anymore, I had to search elsewhere). However, something is still holding it in place. I can turn the motor back and forth which tells me the screws are removed but there is still something holding it place. Do you know what it is and how to get to it?
Old 07-04-2016, 07:34 PM
bluebadge

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

So sorry guys, the company that was hosting my website had a full on crash and they lost all my darned content. Thank you everyone for helping out by reposting. I have the full size images still on my other system and will get the links back up and running asap.

Sorry again, and thanks for your patience.

PS I bought a 370Z so haven't been active on here for a while.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:38 PM
bluebadge

Fixed! i'll do my best to catch up with your questions, please bear with me.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:40 PM
bluebadge

Originally Posted by VictorBravo
I appreciate your thread on this and it has helped out. I removed all of the screws you show in your photo (photos are not visible anymore, I had to search elsewhere). However, something is still holding it in place. I can turn the motor back and forth which tells me the screws are removed but there is still something holding it place. Do you know what it is and how to get to it?
I'll be honest, the only screws holding the 5th bow assembly in place are the ones I identified in the photos (now working btw) I wish I could be more help. Double check and have another look.

Good luck.
BB

Quick Reply: How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.