Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 05:41 PM
bluebadge

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tgray239
hey bluebadge. I am in the process of rebuilding my 5th bow motor. I have everything in hand and ready to do this. for some reason your pics are not working. I am having a hard time. is there any way you can send me the pics or repost them???
Re-posted and fixed the thread, sorry about that!
Old 07-05-2016, 05:43 PM
bluebadge

Originally Posted by NotaMechanic
I don't know if you were able to complete this successfully or not, but I'm having trouble removing screw 3, 4, and the optional (?) 5. I can't physically see 3 or 4 and 5 just seems weird. Any suggestions on how to remove them? I'm using a right angle screwdriver but it's definitely not sitting in the actual screw and I can't tell if it's actually working or not. Really getting ticked over it.
Have you tried using a small socket wrench? I forget what size you'd need but that should do the trick.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:44 PM
bluebadge

Originally Posted by tgray239
I finished rebuilding my 5th bow motor and it works great. Better than new. Notamechanic there are 5 screws to remove the motor from the top. All you need is the right angle screwdriver I got from harbour freight. After you remove the 5 bolts, it just pulls out. The only problem I ran into was getting the bushing housing out. I had to file down the plastic a little. But got it finished and works great. Saved $900 from nissan.
Glad it worked for you, sorry the pics got lost, but happy you all figured it out without any extra help from me. Thread is now fixed fyi.

BB
Old 07-05-2016, 05:47 PM
bluebadge

Originally Posted by HEFLIN
Can you forward photos please
I fixed the thread, sorry for the inconvenience!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:41 PM
wallygator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank You for getting your DYI for 5th bow repair back on line. congrats on the 370z
The following users liked this post:
bluebadge (07-26-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 06:54 AM
bluebadge

Default NP

Originally Posted by wallygator
Thank You for getting your DYI for 5th bow repair back on line. congrats on the 370z
No sweat, sorry it took me so long to realize it had messed up!

PS the 370z rocks!... like I had any doubt that it wouldn't!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:48 PM
wallygator

Is there a dyi somewhere that will show how get cover off the 5th bow motor? I can`t get the back bolt & screw out to remove the motor. But I did manage to
tap on the housing and get the top to work, I would still like to rebuild the motor. Thanks
Old 07-12-2016, 11:32 AM
bluebadge

Default ??

Is there a dyi somewhere that will show how get cover off the 5th bow motor? I can`t get the back bolt & screw out to remove the motor. But I did manage to
tap on the housing and get the top to work, I would still like to rebuild the motor. Thanks
So.. are you wanting to know how to remove the Black plastic trim that covers the motor and gear assembly as pictured in the first pic I posted, so you can access screw #3 that's shown in image 4? If that's what you are wanting to do then i'm not sure if there is a tutorial on that. I believe there is some tape at the back if my memory serves me correctly. I know I couldn't get the cover off which is why I propped it up. If you can't get screw 3 out I would use a small mirror and check that you haven't stripped the head of the screw. That is the only reason I can think of that it might not come out.

I wish I could be more help!

Let me know if there is anything else I can (try and) help with!
Cheers
BB

Last edited by bluebadge; 07-12-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:49 PM
NotaMechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Step Closer

I am having the hardest damn time removing the white plastic bit from the housing unit. It is literally stuck in there and ice been struggling the last two hours to loosen it without pliers. Please send the Marines because they get things done. Bluebadge or anyone else have any advice???
Old 07-26-2016, 07:12 PM
bluebadge

Default How about...

Originally Posted by NotaMechanic
I am having the hardest damn time removing the white plastic bit from the housing unit. It is literally stuck in there and ice been struggling the last two hours to loosen it without pliers. Please send the Marines because they get things done. Bluebadge or anyone else have any advice???

In photo #13 it shows the prongs towards the top of the image, try applying pressure at that point and pulling outward. If you pull from the other side it will be harder to extract as the prongs will be putting pressure on the black plastic casing. I seem to recollect that it wasn't super easy to extract. I had to wiggle it a bit.

You might even be able to open the black plastic housing to get it out, I can't remember though if that would work, i'm just speculating right now. Let me know how you get on.

BB
Old 08-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Cisco05

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I can't get the motor free

Does the motor come right off when you remove the 5 screws? I removed all 5 screws holding it down and it still seems to be grabbed on by something. I can't get it free and it doesn't even move a little, it still feels like if its bolted down. Any help will be very much appreciated

Last edited by Cisco05; 08-11-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:06 PM
bluebadge

As far as I can remember it should just come straight out.

Double check you've got all the screws out.

You might need to wiggle it a bit to free it.

BB

Originally Posted by Cisco05
Does the motor come right off when you remove the 5 screws? I removed all 5 screws holding it down and it still seems to be grabbed on by something. I can't get it free and it doesn't even move a little, it still feels like if its bolted down. Any help will be very much appreciated
Old 08-22-2016, 07:42 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fonzefm
yes I used a guy from kisimmmee fl on ebay
I don't have a soldering kit (or the requisite skills to use one) so I was thinking about having someone rebuild it. This guy popped up on eBay and I haven't seen anyone local that will do it. Any feedback? He's only got 2 reviews on eBay, but they're both good. And he's good overall. Even with shipping, it's probably cheaper and faster than buying a soldering set and learning how to use it.

My top started stuttering when going into the storage compartment and struggled to raise the rear window when I opened it. I'm thinking it's the 5th bow motor from the other videos I've seen.

Cheers!
Old 08-22-2016, 04:10 PM
bluebadge

Best thing to do would be to remove the motor and take a look at the brushes (before you decide to send it off to be repaired) I would only do this if the brushes were worn out. If the brushes are not worn out chances are you have a different problem, but from what you have described so far it does sound like a 5th bow motor issue.

I've had no experience dealing with online folk offering a rebuild services, I would say that they probably know what they are doing if they have already had positive feedback.

Soldering irons can be picked up from places like Radio Shack for around $10-15, if you don't feel comfortable soldering it yourself then the Ebay option might be a good idea. I probably wouldn't pay more than $50 for the service though as it really doesn't take long to do. I think I just found the Ebay seller you were talking about and yes he does only have 2 reviews, but if you look at his feedback profile you will see he's had many more positive feedbacks for the rebuilt 350z motor.

I would say it's probably a safe bet that they will be able to repair the brushes.

And $45 isn't too steep (if you can't solder!)

Best of luck
BB
Old 08-22-2016, 08:18 PM
wallygator

Default Bow motor repair

If you haven't taken the motor out,try taking something metal and tap on the metal housing on the left side. I did that and broke the brushes loose.Now the top works like new.Maybe I got lucky but so far it's working and didn't have to get it rebuilt. Good luck
Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 AM
bluebadge

Default Like new?

If you haven't taken the motor out,try taking something metal and tap on the metal housing on the left side. I did that and broke the brushes loose.Now the top works like new.Maybe I got lucky but so far it's working and didn't have to get it rebuilt. Good luck
I would have to say if you have to hit it with something metal to get it going again, then it hardly works like new lol! if you have to hit it with anything at all to get it to work I would say that the frequency of hits you will have to administer will gradually increase, until that one day (usually when you're out trying to impress some hottie) when it won't go down at all.

More than likely the brushes are shot or at least on their last legs and are barely making contact, either that or there is so much carbon dust build up from the wear and tear that contact is being impeded.

Hit it, if it works great. But just remember it will no doubt happen again when you don't want it to!

BB
Old 08-24-2016, 12:50 PM
wallygator

Default 5th bow motor

Dear Blue badge, I only had to tap the motor housing once. It has worked since spring, so I consider myself lucky. I couldn't get the back bolts loose, so I tapped on the housing like I did to a starter on my 1st car 50 years ago.By the way, how did you get the back bolt and screw loose? Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:06 PM
bvitou

Originally Posted by Cisco05
Hook the Electric back up to it and start the motor and start the open operation. This resets it or something like that and it should then come out.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:18 PM
bvitou

Originally Posted by bluebadge
I would have to say if you have to hit it with something metal to get it going again, then it hardly works like new lol! if you have to hit it with anything at all to get it to work I would say that the frequency of hits you will have to administer will gradually increase, until that one day (usually when you're out trying to impress some hottie) when it won't go down at all.

More than likely the brushes are shot or at least on their last legs and are barely making contact, either that or there is so much carbon dust build up from the wear and tear that contact is being impeded.

Hit it, if it works great. But just remember it will no doubt happen again when you don't want it to!

BB
Glad to see you back on BB. I used this thread to rebuild my 5th bow. thank you much. $5was a lot better than $1300. That being said, I'm still having problems. It will work sometimes and sometimes not. I lubed everything twice. It will stop working and I can pull it out, take the motor apart, put it back together and it will work but only one or two times and then I'll have to do it again. The 5th bow stops at 90 degrees (straight up) or it stops at the fully closed operation and doesn't work anymore. Any thoughts, switches or control box?
Old 08-28-2016, 06:59 PM
bluebadge

Originally Posted by bvitou
Glad to see you back on BB. I used this thread to rebuild my 5th bow. thank you much. $5was a lot better than $1300. That being said, I'm still having problems. It will work sometimes and sometimes not. I lubed everything twice. It will stop working and I can pull it out, take the motor apart, put it back together and it will work but only one or two times and then I'll have to do it again. The 5th bow stops at 90 degrees (straight up) or it stops at the fully closed operation and doesn't work anymore. Any thoughts, switches or control box?
I wish I knew how to answer, I'll be honest i'm not sure. sorry. the only thing I can think of is that the brushes are not making a good contact on the spindle. That's just a guess though. I remember filing them down to get them to seat against the spindle and thought when doing it that if you didn't then they might not make a good connection. Perhaps someone else has thoughts on this.

PS It's nice to be back and to see how many views my thread has had over the last few years... I was blown away. I no longer own my 350z I traded up to a 2013 370z roadster, which I love btw. Still here to help though if I can.

BB

Quick Reply: How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.