MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   vdc off & slip light? HELP :( (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/536407-vdc-off-and-slip-light-help.html)

jcer 09-22-2011 01:30 PM

vdc off & slip light? HELP :(

1 Attachment(s)
:( I thought it was maybe the brake fluid but its not? what else could this be? please help?

KingBaby 09-22-2011 01:36 PM

Is this as soon as you turn the car on?

zakmartin 09-22-2011 01:39 PM

Could be worn brake pads, feathered tires, tone ring, wheel speed sensor, ABS sensor(s)... a ton of things really. Start with things you can visually inspect, like the brake pads and the insides of the front tires. Also, check to see if your brake lights come on when you depress the brake pedal. A blown brake fuse can trigger those lights as well.

jcer 09-22-2011 04:00 PM

AS SOON AS I TURN IT ON then some times the brake light comes on and off 2

Czarrr 09-22-2011 05:05 PM

This happened to me ONE time.
I started my car, reversed out of my parking spot at work, and drove off about 15 feet.
My car wouldn't go past the same RPM's and those lights came on.

I turned my car off, panicked a bit, turned my car on.
BAMMMMM. Lights were gone :]

DavesZ#3 09-22-2011 05:58 PM

From your owners manual....

When the vehicle dynamic control off indicator
light and slip indicator light come on with the
vehicle dynamic control system turned on, this
light alerts the driver to the fact that the vehicle
dynamic control system’s fail-safe mode is operating,
that is the system may not be functioning
properly. Have the system checked by your
NISSAN dealer. If a malfunction occurs in the
system, the vehicle dynamic control system
function will be canceled but the vehicle is still
driveable. For additional information, see “Vehicle
dynamic control (VDC) system” in the “5.
Starting and driving” section of this manual.
If nothing else has changed recently, and you have sufficient brake fluid and the pads are good, then it looks like you are haivn some malfunction with the ABS/TCS/VDC system.

Shizzmaster2k 09-23-2011 06:01 AM

Do you have the SPC Front Adjustable Control Arms installed on your car? This occurred when I installed mine and it was an issue with the ABS bracket being too far away from the sensor.

If not, turn off the vehicle, double check the brake fluid once again, pump the brakes for about a minute, turn the vehicle on and the lights should be gone. This happened on my G35 coupe once before so I'm familiar with it but also check your pads as well.

samnah 09-26-2011 03:44 PM

happened to me 3 weeks ago

man save your self the trouble and check THE BRAKE SWITCH UNDER THE DASH, there are two switches the upper is the brake switch and the lower is the cruise control disengage switch, after a month of checking pads...brake oil..taking it to mechanics...

i decided to disconnect the brake switch , clean it and spray some connection enhancer, lights are off ever since...MAYBE u will need to change the switch.

hope this helps, as it was very frustrating for me when this happened.

HitLines 11-28-2011 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the same thing going on as well except the brake light stays on all the time. I'll pull a tire and check the pads and then report back if that does not work.

:icon8:

Waffle_SS 11-29-2011 09:52 AM

Check your brakes, they may be in need of replacement.

This exact thing happend to me the other week. I called the Nissan and they said it could be either 1 (or multiple) of 3 things.

1) Delta Box Sensor is out
2) Worn brakes pads. Roughly $80 +/- for ceramics type pads. (non-Brembo OEM)
3) Wheel Speed Sensor
I bought some pads cause I knew it was time anyway. Once I pushed the calipers back in the fluid raised and the lights went away.

If all else fails give your Nissan Dealer and ask him.

HitLines 01-05-2012 09:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quick update: I changed out my front pads with new ceramics and all of the lights went off. I don't think the pads were worn that badly and I would say have at least another year on them.

Maybe if it has something to do with the brake fluid being a little low and once I pushed the plunger back in it raised the level in the reservoir. Either way, new pads are on the Z and everything is back to normal.

2fastnc 01-05-2012 01:24 PM

So, if lets say the wheel sensor is off or bad it can cause the slip light or the tc to activate? I am having an issue with the tc and the slip light coming on but I was thinking it was my set up. My wheel sensors is off, in that I mean the tire pressure is off like 5 psi on one and 7ish on the other side in the rear. Would that make it slip? I checked them manually and they were both at 37psi....

rogerjrr 06-16-2013 06:52 AM

vdc and slip light on

i have same problem but i dont experience problem with the car is it okay? 03model 350z

Tracktimeplz 06-19-2013 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by rogerjrr (Post 10149143)
i have same problem but i dont experience problem with the car is it okay? 03model 350z

Check to see if the yaw sensor is connected, its under the ash tray/console.

Ive disconnected mine because I hate the VDC and TC system, your cars previous owner may have felt the same way:skidmark:

vito350zed 06-20-2013 01:14 PM

get the code, i had the same thing. i had a bad cam position sensor.

The REAL PigPen 06-20-2013 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by vito350zed (Post 10152873)
get the code, i had the same thing. i had a bad cam position sensor.

THIS! It could have very well been an issue with your brakes, but fo rthe most part when those lights come on and your Z won't go above 3k RPM, it means your Z is in "safe mode". Check and pull codes from AutoZone or Oriellys or something to ensure you dont have a bad crank or cam sensor. Our cars are notorious for these failing.

r3dg3cko rob 11-04-2014 09:14 AM

thread ressurection

lots of threads on this already so i didn't want to start a new one.

I've got the same problem with my 03 - VDC OFF and Slip are illuminated along with the BRAKE light intermittently. It does look like the pads need changing so I'll do that asap.

I'm also having trouble starting the car - reading around that sounds like it could be the camshaft sensor issue but I don't have a check engine light illuminated on the dash (I would have thought it would show up if this was the case?)

I changed the plugs and coils a few weeks back but it's all been fine since then.

These issues have all just started happening right after I've had the two front tires changed at Firestone. Could they have perhaps detached or reset the speed sensor or something while the wheels were off or is it out of the way?

terrasmak 11-08-2014 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by r3dg3cko rob (Post 10494747)
lots of threads on this already so i didn't want to start a new one.

I've got the same problem with my 03 - VDC OFF and Slip are illuminated along with the BRAKE light intermittently. It does look like the pads need changing so I'll do that asap.

I'm also having trouble starting the car - reading around that sounds like it could be the camshaft sensor issue but I don't have a check engine light illuminated on the dash (I would have thought it would show up if this was the case?)

I changed the plugs and coils a few weeks back but it's all been fine since then.

These issues have all just started happening right after I've had the two front tires changed at Firestone. Could they have perhaps detached or reset the speed sensor or something while the wheels were off or is it out of the way?

Cam sensors can cause this, but you will normally get a hard code for it.

Brake fluid will cause this, pop the hood, look at the master cylinder and top it off if required. Very simple and easy.

Tire sizes will cause this, please look at your tires and post the front and rear sizes. I need the full size Example 225/45-18 front and 245/45-18 rear.

r3dg3cko rob 11-08-2014 02:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. I checked the tire sizes the other day after reading another thread and sure enough they put a large tire on the front! 40 19s instead of 35 19s hence the vdc and slip lights, also explains the issues starting the car as I guess the cam sensors rely on the speed sensor for timing which was messed up due to the changed rolling radius.

The brake issue was just poor timing as it confused the main issue - the pads need changing.

One thing they did say while looking at the car was that the cam sensors were leaking? Wasn't even aware that was something that could happen so I'll need to look into that.

terrasmak 11-08-2014 10:52 PM

The cam sensors are sealed with an O ring , simple swap