MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Help! hit curb...bent something in suspension!!!!!!!!!! (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/541530-help-hit-curb-bent-something-in-suspension.html)

zerostyle 11-19-2011 02:08 PM

Help! hit curb...bent something in suspension!!!!!!!!!!

long story short...hit curb...now my passenger side wheel is crooked...it still sits in the same spot...( it doesnt sit closer to the bumper or closer to the sideskirt) but my wheel sits as if i had the steering wheel slight turned to the right so the side closest to the bumper is sticking out...
...and to drive straight i need to have my steering slightly veered to the left. ill have some pics later if it helps. what did i bend before i go and start buying parts

SparkleCityHop 11-19-2011 02:18 PM

front or rear?

also, a picture would help.

If you're talking about your rear passenger side, you probably bent your camber and/or traction arms or just knocked the eccentric toe or camber bolts loose.

zerostyle 11-19-2011 02:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 432756
Attachment 432757
Attachment 432758
Attachment 432759
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/untitled.jpg

zerostyle 11-19-2011 02:23 PM

front...pics are up....if you you look at the pics showing the straight down angle you can see how the hub/brake caliper/rotor are slightly angled

zerostyle 11-19-2011 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 432763

zerostyle 11-19-2011 02:27 PM

if you guys need any specific pics or any more info please let me know...i appreciate everyones help in advance

winchman 11-19-2011 03:02 PM

On most cars the steering wheel is turned slightly to the left or right of center when you're going straight down a level road. If you remember how your steering wheel was positioned under those conditions before the accident, compare that to the position of the steering wheel now when the left wheel is pointing straight ahead. That will tell you if the steering rack has been shifted because of the impact.

It's really hard to tell if the suspension components are bent without some sort of jig or template to compare known good ones to your parts.

It's also possible the mounts for the suspension components have been bent out of position.

SparkleCityHop 11-19-2011 04:11 PM

Pics are too small for me to see/examine.

It looks like your toe was knocked out of alignment. Check your tie rod ends & tie rods first to see if they are visibly bent/damaged. That's where you usually adjust toe up front, and if that's the problem part, it won't be too expensive to repair.

They should look similar to this:
http://www.jscspeed.com/images/catal...thumb_full.jpg

Chako135 11-19-2011 04:26 PM

I'd say its either the spindle or compression arm...(also check the muffler bearings :icon14:)

SparkleCityHop 11-19-2011 04:32 PM

I haven't damaged any components up front yet, so I'm not sure what gives out first in these situations. If you had a problem in the rear, unfortunately, I have first hand experience with repairing bent arms and what tends to "go first" in the rear.

I'm sure that there are others on here that have some of the "unwanted experience" you're looking for. :)

Naut 11-19-2011 04:59 PM

My bet is on the inner tie rod as well. That was the first thing that was visually bent when I took a hit to the front wheel and I had the same symptoms as you described for the steering wheel.

zerostyle 11-19-2011 07:43 PM

thanks for your responses...i will try to get better pics of the tie rods and ends...and now that you mention toe alignment...it could make sense...cuz my left front wheel was the one that made contact first...i completely shattered the hell out of the wheel yet that side everything is sitting fine...im going to order a new wheel and drive to firestone and get an alignment and see if its just that and if not they will tell me whats messed up. does this sound like the right thing to do

-Trav- 11-19-2011 07:59 PM

Id take it to a specialty shop instead. A lot of those national chains dont keep their machines calibrated properly. Also when you want to ask complicated questions they start backing away from you slowly...

Dont cheap out when it comes to suspension, not on this car.

SparkleCityHop 11-19-2011 08:00 PM

Yeah, a good alignment guy is going to be able to tell either:

A) whether or not any parts are visually bent
B) whether any bushings are visually torn
C) whether or not something has broken/shifted
D) whether or not he can get it to pull back into spec through normal means

And even if you got under the car and determined that your tie rod ends were bent, and you were comfortable replacing them yourself - you would still have to take it in for a new alignment anyways. Better to let one place be responsible for the troubleshooting, repair, and alignment. Be sure that they give you a before and after printout of your alignment, and if you can scan/upload it to here - there are some pretty smart guys like Jason-ZYA that can look at an alignment report and pretty much tell you which bushings/parts may be in question. I am not that smart. :)

zerostyle 11-20-2011 08:05 AM

Yeah im usually opposed to firestone but i know the guy who does the alignments and hes pretty good so ima take it there if somethings wrong ill replace it and go back for another alignment. Ima get lifetime...thanks for your help guys ill come back with updates when i have em

SparkleCityHop 11-20-2011 10:57 AM

Hint - keep your bent part as a desk paperweight and conversation piece. It's amazing what good conversations can start up from having something like that on a corner of your desk.

zerostyle 11-20-2011 12:08 PM

Lol i think that was the best advice on this thread hhahah

albinobob 11-20-2011 04:43 PM

My money is on the appropriately name compression rod. I hit a curb a couple of years ago and they do indeed compress. I’ve also broke a spindle (me and my car have a love hate relationship) and it just snapped, no bending. You can measure the end to end on both compression rods to see if they’re the same. And you prabably blew out your lower control arm bushings as well.

-Trav- 11-21-2011 04:12 PM

Ah fun times...I had a balljoint blown, spindle, comp arm and LCA all bent.

Any issues with ABS op? mine kicked in almost constantly as I limped my car home.

SparkleCityHop 11-21-2011 04:30 PM

Find out anything today, zero?