MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   350z fried ECU problems...PLZ help (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/544450-350z-fried-ecu-problems-plz-help.html)

SA Z-boi 12-28-2011 04:26 AM

350z fried ECU problems...PLZ help

Okay this is what happened.

I purchased a cobb tuning accesport and reflashed my ECU with it. Everything was running perfect with the system. I ended up selling the cobb accesport to somebody on the forum. I went to unmate the accesport from my ecu and everything was going fine. It was up to 75% and BAM my battery dies on me. I can't start the car and it makes a weird noise when I do. I jump start the car and try to continue the unistall of the accesport and get a message reading " Fatal Error". The following day I get in contact with cobb and they tell me that there needs to be a certain amount of voltage to continue the uninstall. I lug my battery to autozone to get it checked and sure enough it is dead. I purchase a brand new battery and head home to install it. Get everything in and try to continue the same process of uninstalling the accesport. Again I get the same message, so I contact cobb again. They tell me to send the accesport and my ECU to them in Austin so I package it all up and send it off. I get a call from cobb the next day saying that my ECU is completely fried and I will need to purchase and new one. They give me two options. They can either purchase a ECU from me or they will purchase the cobb tuning kit for the amount I sold it for. I choose option 2 and they send me a check in the mail for 300 bucks.

Note I have a 2003 manuel performance model z. From the little research I found on this subject, I read that you need the same year and trim model ECU to be able to reprogram it to another car. Searching ebay I come across a manuel 2003 performace model ecu and purchase it. I am kind of skeptical from the description he gives but purchase it anyways because he says it's in working condition. here is the description:

This is a working part that came from a Nissan 350Z 2003 Performance vehicle. This is an engine computer that came from a running vehicle with a manual transmission. It should work in years 2003-2007 and they sell for around $944.38 through a mechanic. This is an OEM part. Part number is MEC61-510. Double check your part number needed to make sure this will work in your vehicle.

"My engine was replaced and was giving many codes. One of them was for this part. The dealer here..apparently this is typical in my area of residence simply goes by codes only and I bought the part. Well, low and behold, I didn't need it. All that was wrong with my vehicle is that the fly wheel was not set correctly. So I purchased this part, an IPDM, and ECM which I did not need. I have already sold the IPDM and have this ECM to sell and try to recoup some money for Christmas. Have you checked out the prices of parts lately???? Absurd! So, if you're in the need of an ECM, please consider mine before dishing out your hard earned money. It will help you and me. I am sure this part probably works on several different year models, but again, check before bidding. Thank you for your interest. Please see my other auction items. Ask any questions prior to bidding. All sales are final. Insurance is included in shipping. Merry Christmas!!"

I get the ECU in the mail finally and call a towing trunk so I can get it over to nissan. Of course no one wants to tow my car because it is so low, but I finally find someone. Takes us about 2 hours to get it to nissan but I get her there. Nissan reprograms the ECU to my car. I start it up and drive it to the alignment shop because I need to get aligned horribly. On the way to the shop the car shakes horribly in neutral. I take off in first and it is still shaking. Fells like it is in safe mode because once it hits 3500 rpm it suddenly kicks in and everything is fine ( note this happens in every gear). It throws up a code so I got to autozone and get it checked out. Say my O2 sensors arent reading. I start it up again and have no problems with it for the next few day. Everything is running good and all the suddenly the problem starts again. My check engine light starts flashing which means it's misfiring so now I am thinking the ECU is no good. I took it to autozone again to get the code checked and there were 16 codes ( I think a few were repeats. The main codes were P0158 which is bank 1 02 sensor, p0138 which is bank 2 02 sensor and p0300 which is random misfire I am going to take it to nissan today to see what they can do without me breaking the bank.

Main question I have is

Can I used any 03-05 standard ecu on my 350z to reprogram to my car. I find a ton of ECU's on ebay but none are 2003 standard performance models.

Has anyone thrown a different year/ trim model ECU in their Z/G and had no issues?

Or does any one have a 2003 standard performance model ECU for sale.

Any help would be appreciated. I apologize for the long story but it has be so frustrating and I just want my Z problem free again. Thanks

Quamen 12-28-2011 05:33 AM

I can't answer your question about if years are interchangeable, but I do have a 2004 ECU for sale. Nothing wrong with it but I have an LS1 with a standalone in my Z so I don't need it anymore. The part number on mine is MEC35-320 and it is R4.

PM me if you are interested as I will let it go cheap. Otherwise, I am sorry to hear about the issue you are having.

SA Z-boi 12-28-2011 05:36 AM

Thanks quamen. If somebody can confirm that the ecu's are compatable then I would have no problem picking it up from you. I called nissan but of course they are a bunch of idiots

alfhasg35 12-28-2011 06:23 AM

I have a 2005 g35 coupe 6mt and I recently needed an ECU. I heard that my car was only compatible with the EXACT same year ECU..

On your original ECU. There is an ECM # AND a model #. I think the model number is one big letter and one big number.

This is what u need to match..

My particular model # was "D9"..

Make sure u have the correct model number..

str8dum1 12-28-2011 06:24 AM

It could a couple things. It wasnt programmed correctly by the dealer or its an ECU out of 04.5 with wideband O2 sensors. It should work otherwise.

it needs to be same transmission, same O2 sensor config (wide/narrow), and same cam control (non-revup vs revup)
From there, the dealer has to do full reprogram anyhow, so the rest "shouldnt" matter.

That said, I also matched the 2 letter/number code when I had to replace mine as well. Mine was DC for an 03 6mt

SA Z-boi 12-28-2011 07:40 AM

my old one read PC mec31-512 A1 3604

My new one reads CX

alfhasg35 12-28-2011 07:43 AM

That's probably ur problem.. U need a "PC"

alfhasg35 12-28-2011 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what mine looked like "D9"

Attachment 432865

SA Z-boi 12-28-2011 10:09 AM

alright. Well im going to try and put some non-foulers on my o2 sensors because thats one of the codes being thrown. Even though I never had the problem before it might solve the misfires. If that doesnt work then I will probably have to look into finding another ECU

thanks for the help alfhasg35.

If anyone else has anything to add feel free

andz33 12-28-2011 04:17 PM

Have you checked all the fuses like engine control and o2? I had a similiar problem with multiple codes on my 240sx and it turned out to be a blown eng cont fuse. Replaced the fuse and it fixed the problem.

SA Z-boi 12-29-2011 09:48 AM

Ill look into that today and check all the fuses. I bought some spark plug foulers and and going to make the o2 non foulers. I am also going to change the oil

anybody else have any first hand experiences with changing out their ECU's

meanz 01-02-2012 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by alfhasg35 (Post 9535631)
That's probably ur problem.. U need a "PC"

If your original ECM had PC, then you will need to get another one that has those letters. The other numbers won't matter as long as it says pc. I went through this problem already so I know. I have an extra one that says PC if you need one. Pm me if you do. Long story but I ended up getting two ecms when I fried my original.

SA Z-boi 01-04-2012 08:01 AM

Well the z seems to be running good as of right now. It still throwing up the check engine light. I just finished installing the 02 sensor non foulers and I am going to try and reset the ecu. If it throws up a code again I will get it checked out to see what the problem is. If I cant fix it I will have to search for a 2003 ecu that says PC

Originally Posted by meanz (Post 9542269)
If your original ECM had PC, then you will need to get another one that has those letters. The other numbers won't matter as long as it says pc. I went through this problem already so I know. I have an extra one that says PC if you need one. Pm me if you do. Long story but I ended up getting two ecms when I fried my original.

Pmed you about the ecu

Darkknight916 04-05-2012 03:25 PM

did it work!?

You have any updates on the codes?:dunno:

scarface16134 03-02-2013 09:48 PM

Does anyone know what you need to do to install a used ecu? I found the right one for my car a MEC35-360 B1 because cobb accessport fried mine after two flashes and a uninstall attempt got a fatal error. So I need to replace it anyone know how and what I need to do.

amr_electron 03-02-2013 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by scarface16134 (Post 10057994)
Does anyone know what you need to do to install a used ecu? I found the right one for my car a MEC35-360 B1 because cobb accessport fried mine after two flashes and a uninstall attempt got a fatal error. So I need to replace it anyone know how and what I need to do.

Install the new ECU yourself ( if you can ), Then tow the car to the nearest dealer to get the keys re-programmed.

seymore4 03-02-2013 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by scarface16134 (Post 10057994)

You will either need an uprev reflash to disable NATS or have the dealer reprogram it for you

scarface16134 03-03-2013 09:49 AM

Ok getting it removed (already done) no problem o sent my original to cobb but can I have a back up ecu? Or everytime I switch would I need to have the key reprogrammed everytime?

scarface16134 03-06-2013 04:15 PM

So I have the 2004.5 roadster manual (which is not on the map list) the 2004.5 runs the MEC35-360 B1 while the auto 2004.5 roadster (which is on the map list) runs the MEC35-350 B1 and the 2004 manaul has a MEC31-640 and I flashed stage 2 and went to uninstall got a fatal error (most likely becayse it is for the 2004.5 auto) does anyone know how I can get a custom or a workable map that I can install and most importantly uninstall? NEED ONE ASAP

johnx818 01-27-2014 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by amr_electron (Post 10058011)
Install the new ECU yourself ( if you can ), Then tow the car to the nearest dealer to get the keys re-programmed.

Is this really all the dealer has to do with a new ECU?
I have the Viper 5704v along with the XK09 to override the immobilizer for remote start to work without a key. I'm not entirely sure if this completely bypasses NATS or not, but if it does and the new ECU has no problems, is it safe to assume that the ECU will work without ANY programming from the dealer or Consult?