MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Smoke when I start the car every morning (includes video) (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/553316-smoke-when-i-start-the-car-every-morning-includes-video.html)

cyclops85 04-15-2012 12:33 PM

Smoke when I start the car every morning (includes video)

Helpful 350z Community,

I understand that this is my first post here and already tried to search for this before posting. I wanted to confirm my thoughts on whats happening and possibly get some expert insight.

I bought a 2004 350z 56K miles used car in February 2012 and noticed that the oil pressure sign came on when I was trying to bring the car to a complete halt. I saw that the oil pressure gauge was showing low and assumed that the dealer who sold me this did not put enough oil in the car or never bothered to check it. So I did a regular oil change from EZ Lube (Synthetic 5W-30) in Los Angeles, CA where I live. The sign stopped coming and I thought everything is running fine now.

I failed to notice this earlier but apparently whenever I started my car I got some smoke out of my car. My oil pressure sign came up again yesterday and the EZ Lube guys filled more oil in my car. They told me that they didn't fill it up entirely the first time. I was not convinced that this is the issue when the starting smoke in my mind and starting searching on it all day yesterday and this morning.

Video from this morning for the start (smoke goes away after the start):
http://youtu.be/rqr29z1nZ1s

After some search, I believe I am burning my oil and that's the reason my pressure went low so soon after an oil change. Also some more search revealed that this could be a possible "valve seal" leak and I may need to change them. The smoke is slightly blue, I think so it might be that. Do you guys think that this hypothesis is correct?

I am not a very technical person and have never fixed my own car before. If you do think this is also a valve seal fault - do you know much a replacement would cost? Also what would a typical labor effort for the same be? I also read that sometimes it could be more than valve seals and could be piston rings which I am not too aware about.

During my purchase, I did get myself an extended warranty from First Extended Corporation (Portfolio) which the dealer sold me on. I did read some negative feedback about them and one of their clauses does say that they would not fix "excessive oil consumption"

Any insight on this overall issue would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Abhay

bmccann101 04-15-2012 01:46 PM

hate to tell u but that aint oil smoke bro, it smells sweet doest it? taht b coolant imho and you are not going to like the reasons coolant can be in your combustion chambers.. id take that car back in to the dealer immediately. could be marginally simply, could need a new engine/heads. Bad deal man, if thats a new car you bought, id not be a very happy customer.

cyclops85 04-15-2012 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by bmccann101 (Post 9698227)
hate to tell u but that aint oil smoke bro, it smells sweet doest it? taht b coolant imho and you are not going to like the reasons coolant can be in your combustion chambers.. id take that car back in to the dealer immediately. could be marginally simply, could need a new engine/heads. Bad deal man, if thats a new car you bought, id not be a very happy customer.

Thank you for your response. Taking it back to the used car dealer looks like the option I may have to go with. I couldn't really tell the smell, but would the oil also go down if it was the coolant that is causing this?

Kcee91 04-15-2012 04:01 PM

Check and open your coolant reservoir and make sure there is no oil in there. That is definitely a cause for concern. Good luck.

toples z 04-16-2012 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by bmccann101 (Post 9698227)

yeah deff sounds like coolant most likely a head gasket. try not to overheat the motor or you might have to rebuild it. i would go back to the people that sold me the car and get them to rebuild the motor or give me a refund. sorry for the bad news

Bret86944 04-16-2012 09:23 AM

I don't like to jump to conclusions, but it sounds like that car was not taken care of. My best guess is that it was run low on either oil or coolant, overheated, and warped some internals. Oil/coolant is leaking into the cylinders and you are going to need a new engine. I'll cross my fingers that it's something minor, but when you said "used car dealer" I'd put my money on the car being seriously messed up.

cyclops85 04-21-2012 06:31 AM

I got it looked at from a local mechanic and he said that it probably isn't the coolant and the coolant reservoir looked okay. He recommend an oil flush with a higher viscosity oil like a 10W-40 which I am going to try out today. He thinks the culprit is valve seals but was unsure as well.

If the oil flush leads to no results, I am heading back to the dealer who sold this to me. Too bad I failed to check this while buying the car :(

taywan 04-21-2012 07:25 AM

I wouldve test drove it to a mechanic. You bought it-so whatever's wrong w it now- its your car. I wouldn't be revving a motor upon start up like that either. That's just me. I always let it warm up. That sucks if your motor is a gonner tho. gl w it all and let us know what happens.

Itzcashew 04-24-2012 10:56 AM

IS your coolant a murky brown color?

cyclops85 04-24-2012 11:01 AM

I haven't checked it but I can tonight. When I got the oil flush done from my mechanic he said that it is def the valve seals or piston rings as the smoke has a bluish tinge to it.

Does anyone know someone in SoCal who can help me replace these two things for a cash incentive? (PM me) My mechanic refused to touch the engine :(

cyclops85 04-24-2012 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by taywan (Post 9706781)
I wouldve test drove it to a mechanic. You bought it-so whatever's wrong w it now- its your car. I wouldn't be revving a motor upon start up like that either. That's just me. I always let it warm up. That sucks if your motor is a gonner tho. gl w it all and let us know what happens.

Since it only happens on a cold start in the morning, I doubt a mechanic would have caught this but I will keep this in mind for future - thanks!

pigpimpc 04-26-2012 11:49 PM

what your mechanic sounds right-valve stems seals common problem on mr2's ( i had a '91)