Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

06' 350z won't start, turn over, crank, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:46 PM
RyansZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 06' 350z won't start, turn over, crank, etc.

Let me start from the beginning, I bought my 2006 350z from a dealership with 102,xxx miles on it. Car was perfect, nice all around, good oil readings, etc. Bought the car and drove it for about 20 days till my engine took a dump on me and i had a bearing go out. After months of different mechanics looks at it and trying to find another VQ that was somewhat cheap we have no luck. I eventually got the whole engine rebuilt for a couple grand got it thrown back in and i was just gonna pay my bill and turn around and sell it and buy a 370. Well, two months ago, after the rebuild, the car would turn over but not catch and it was saying that it wasn't getting a spark so the mechanics worked on it, got it fixed, then my cam sensor won't off and we adjusted and cleaned them and it went away. After that, my flywheel markers weren't lining up with the sensor so after having 5 grand in this so far i told them to use an automatic flywheel they had in the back and the sensor went away. Now for the real question, after all of that and fixing every problem, it now will not start and isn't pulling any codes. I am completely lost and don't know what to do anymore, the shop is getting agitated too after having it for so long and nothing working they want it gone soon. Can you guys please help me figure this out! They say its a bad ecu now but i think otherwise.

I will provide pictures of engine bay, underneath, and ecu box.

Last edited by RyansZ33; 09-14-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:47 PM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RyansZ33
Let me start from the beginning, I bought my 2006 350z from a dealership with 102,xxx miles on it. Car was perfect, nice all around, good oil readings, etc. Bought the car and drove it for about 20 days till my engine took a dump on me and i had a bearing go out. After months of different mechanics looks at it and trying to find another VQ that was somewhat cheap we have no luck. I eventually got the whole engine rebuilt for a couple grand got it thrown back in and i was just gonna pay my bill and turn around and sell it and buy a 370. Well, two months ago, after the rebuild, the car would turn over but not catch and it was saying that it wasn't getting a spark so the mechanics worked on it, got it fixed, then my cam sensor won't off and we adjusted and cleaned them and it went away. After that, my flywheel markers weren't lining up with the sensor so after having 5 grand in this so far i told them to use an automatic flywheel they had in the back and the sensor went away. Now for the real question, after all of that and fixing every problem, it now will not start and isn't pulling any codes. I am completely lost and don't know what to do anymore, the shop is getting agitated too after having it for so long and nothing working they want it gone soon. Can you guys please help me figure this out! They say its a bad ecu now but i think otherwise.

I will provide pictures of engine bay, underneath, and ecu box.

Man that's jacked. And people think the dealership rips you off.

I'd say tow it to a dealership. Agree to their diagnostic fee. Get something in writing and start hammering the shop that took your 5k for some help.

That could be anything dude. A pinched wire, a loose ground a bad key, a bad ECU you need a hands on pro.
The following users liked this post:
superpreditor (04-23-2021)
Old 09-15-2015, 02:54 AM
RyansZ33

I am going to look at it in about an hour before i have to go into work and will try a pedal reset, check the grounds, and oil and battery readings. I will give you guys my findings when i get back. If none of this works though i will be telling them to get it towed to nissan up the street from them. I know it will cost me an arm and a leg as well but the diag. is $199 so that can at least tell me whats up with it.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:13 AM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

my suggestions:

If its cranking and not starting, crank or cam position sensors, bad engine ground, bad TB, possibly fuel pump or flywheel not positioned correctly. If the red security light stays on when starting, key is bad. if you cannot connect to the ecu with a OBD scanner its probably ecu.

Also, automatics don't have a flywheel they have a flex plate, so if they told you they used an "automatic flywheel" they did nothing.. they probably positioned the flywheel wrong making it not read timing correctly the first time around...

Last edited by jdm-v35; 09-15-2015 at 04:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dj_saki (07-10-2021)
Old 09-15-2015, 04:32 AM
RyansZ33

Just went and looked at the car. He reassured me he knew every ground was good as he checked every one of them himself. I told him about a pedal reset I researched last night which he is going to try tomorrow. If that fails then he is going to send it to a Nissan tech across the street who left Nissan and opened up his own shop and knows about the 350z pretty well, so they told me. As a reply to jdm_v35, I didn't know the correct terminology for an automatic plate so I said flywheel, but the sensors on it line up so for the sake of testing the car it works. You just can't throw a transmission on to it. Sorry for the poor photos too, the cars on a lift right now and there's an rx7 underneath it.

If you guys have any ideas or need more pics, let me know and I'll pass it on to the mechanics.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:52 AM
jdm-v35

is your car 6mt or auto? if it works with the flex plate, but wont start with the 6mt flywheel, either flywheel alignment is bad or the flywheel had a problem
Old 09-15-2015, 05:03 AM
RyansZ33

Originally Posted by jdm-v35
is your car 6mt or auto? if it works with the flex plate, but wont start with the 6mt flywheel, either flywheel alignment is bad or the flywheel had a problem
6mt. There's notches in the flywheel that a sensor reads it's like 10-0-10-0 repeating I think. And my flywheel was old and had a damaged notch where the sensor reads but the automatic flex plate was in perfect condition and it came back with positive readings all across. Also, I got a new tb when I got my engine rebuilt, cam sen were fixed, and ecu is being picked up it just won't show anything wrong. It says everything is perfect, timing, sensors, throttle and idle, etc. he thinks it has something to do with the fuel and ignition though even though it's not getting picked up. The fuel pressure is correct although it's not sparking.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:37 AM
jdm-v35

I just had the same problem and turned out my ground to the heads was slightly loose and caused bad ground for the spark plugs. could be that.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:54 AM
RyansZ33

Originally Posted by jdm-v35
I just had the same problem and turned out my ground to the heads was slightly loose and caused bad ground for the spark plugs. could be that.
Probably the best advice I've gotten so far ha, I'll go up there tomorrow and check it out. I'm going to get them to move that rotary pos and drop my car and get them to check it and try turning it over.